RC poster

Angry Slash 4x4 with 1/10 mamba max pro sct 2400kv motor.

It over heats with the new system in it. Doesnít actually shut off, not sure if it even has a thermal shut down mode. Anyways geared 17/54 with 2.2 trenchers it would get really hot on 3s. Then geared 13/54 on 2.8 trenchers it stil would get really hot. What am I doing wrong. Has tekno cvds if that matters and all bearings on the truck seems fine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    welcome to the site. you aren't doing anything wrong, that system is minimally adequate for running 3s in a heavy truck

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    welcome to the site. you aren't doing anything wrong, that system is minimally adequate for running 3s in a heavy truck
    I know you say that but I have had different experiences. It runs great for me even on 4s. To the OP I'm not sure where you found a Mamba Max Pro. They are few and far between. I do prefer the Mamba X esc. It is way more efficient, waterproof and can be programmed in almost limitless ways.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by packers0056 View Post
    It over heats with the new system in it. Doesn’t actually shut off, not sure if it even has a thermal shut down mode. Anyways geared 17/54 with 2.2 trenchers it would get really hot on 3s. Then geared 13/54 on 2.8 trenchers it stil would get really hot. What am I doing wrong. Has tekno cvds if that matters and all bearings on the truck seems fine.
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

The Mamba Max Pro does have a thermal shutdown. If it gets too hot it will Cease to operate until it comes down to an acceptable temperature. What exactly is getting hot?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

The Mamba Max Pro does have a thermal shutdown. If it gets too hot it will Cease to operate until it comes down to an acceptable temperature. What exactly is getting hot?
    Yes itís the mamba max pro sct version with a 2400kv motor. Both are 1/10 scale. Esc seems warm but motor seems to be hot, really hot, on gearing and such that I stated above.

RC poster
    The truck is too heavy for the motor?

The truck is too heavy for the motor?
    No. The higher the kv the more torque it can make. That is why larger vehicles, like the X-Maxx, came with a 1600kv (initially) and now a 1200kv motor.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...motor-cool-esc

Hot motor + cool esc = Undergeared
    Cold motor + hot ESC = Overgeared
    Hot motor + hot esc = Way overgeared
    Warm everything = Just right
    Last edited by Double G; 07-30-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    The Super Derecho

I just noticed you have it geared 13/54! I would never gear it under 18/54. That is the O.G. El Sob special motor system. I know for a fact that it will work well with the truck unless it was hurt from being geared wrong and overheated too many times. That is all I have run for several trouble free years.

RC poster
    I just noticed you have it geared 13/54! I would never gear it under 18/54. That is the O.G. El Sob special motor system. I know for a fact that it will work well with the truck unless it was hurt from being geared wrong and overheated too many times. That is all I have run for several trouble free years.
    I first had it geared 17/54 and it got hot, I didn’t know it would get hot by being under geared, so I assumed I hadn’t it over geared and went down in teeth count when I got bigger tires. I have a 21 or 23t pinion at home. I’ll have to try that next and see.

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

You should pick up an IR temp gun to know actual temps, not subjective temps.

They can be found for a very reasonable price at many places.

Here's one for $20 at Harbor Freight:
    https://harborfreight.com/infrared-t...ter-93984.html

Good luck with your rig and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Hereís the system Iím talking about by the way.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...BoC4AcQAvD_BwE

Here’s the system I’m talking about by the way.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...BoC4AcQAvD_BwE
    I have had that same motor system in a truck since 2012! It still runs beautifully! After all of these years I have no complaints

RC poster
    I have had that same motor system in a truck since 2012! It still runs beautifully! After all of these years I have no complaints
    Well 22/54 is too high with 2.8s motor and esc got pretty hot really quick. Any suggestions stil?

RC Enthusiast
    i suggest gearing it down to 13/54 on the 2.2 trenchers and then running it on 3s and checking the temps to see if they are any better. Also invest in a heat sink for the motor if you don't already have one. An aluminum motor mount will also pull away a ton of heat from the motor, and can help dissipate heat.
    Last edited by Dgkskater1996; 07-30-2019 at 04:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

You should pick up an IR temp gun to know actual temps, not subjective temps.

They can be found for a very reasonable price at many places.

Here's one for $20 at Harbor Freight:
    https://harborfreight.com/infrared-t...ter-93984.html

Good luck with your rig and have fun!
    This is best advice so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem here is the word "hot". Until we can see some real temp numbers this doesn't make alot of sense yet.

I have a buddy who feels his finger is about to burn off touching 120 degrees.
    Last edited by zedorda; 07-31-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Well 22/54 is too high with 2.8s motor and esc got pretty hot really quick. Any suggestions stil?
    As I said before, 18/54 should be a good start. If you don't have a way to measure the motor temperature it's almost impossible to guess how hot it is. If you overheated it too many times, you will ruin the motor and its performance.