RC Racer

Fast slash - speedrun death wobble?!

Have a speed run slash buggy. Running 4s, tallest gearing I can with stock mount (21/32?), revo springs, thick fluid. When she gets flying her tires wobble back and forth ALOT (like as if it was going to turn). It definitely affects the speed. I dont run a factory radio or esc so I dont have that built in steering assist.

What will fix this? Is it slop in my steering bell crank? Does it need a better stronger steering servo (have some random cheapie in there)?The tires are NOT balanced.. it could be this?
    I've never had an rc car this fast so I've never encountered this..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    It would be helpfull if you could post some videos, I'm willing to help, I have a slash 4x4 with the same issue with parts on the way, Firstly check your ball ends on your steering links for play, next check the castor/steering block for play, it will most likely be in one of those. What body is that? im looking for a new body for my slash, the last buggy body i got has since been discontinued.

RC Qualifier
    slop can play a part but mostly it is alignment.
    Just at a glance it appears your front wheels toe angle needs adjusting. When driving off-road we set the front wheels to point out slightly (toe out), this provides good "steer in" to the corner. When going fast you want the wheels dead straight or slightly toe'd in so that they are not trying to "run away" with every groove in the pavement.

I'd start there and see how it goes.

There are not many straight lines on the car to reference so often it is best to measure from the back of each front wheel, and the front of each wheel. Ideally you want that back measurement just slightly larger than the front measurement. (consider some slop into that number)

Have you balanced your wheels/tires?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DevBukkitz View Post
    It would be helpfull if you could post some videos, I'm willing to help, I have a slash 4x4 with the same issue with parts on the way, Firstly check your ball ends on your steering links for play, next check the castor/steering block for play, it will most likely be in one of those. What body is that? im looking for a new body for my slash, the last buggy body i got has since been discontinued.
    I will try to get some videos! It is the jconcepts silencer E 3.0 body

RC Racer
    Yea I had been meaning to adjust the toe. I did. Will report back.
    Honestly alot of it feels like it comes from steering slop in the plastic links.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Have you balanced your wheels/tires?
    No. I need to. Guess just need to pony up and buy a balancer

RC Racer
    Might I add it only seems to be front wheels wobbling

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    No. I need to. Guess just need to pony up and buy a balancer

If you have some spare parts laying around, you can build one for cheap. My balancer just uses a 2WD Slash carrier, suspension arm, and a set for very smooth running bearings. The only other thing you need is some modeling clay from Wally World and your in business.

RC Racer
    If you have some spare parts laying around, you can build one for cheap. My balancer just uses a 2WD Slash carrier, suspension arm, and a set for very smooth running bearings. The only other thing you need is some modeling clay from Wally World and your in business.
    Any pics? I definitely have extra parts laying around

RC Competitor
    What speed are you getting on that gearing and what motor/esc?

Fast slash - speedrun death wobble?!

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    Any pics? I definitely have extra parts laying around

I just put the tire on, clap it to the workbench and give it a spin. When it stops I mark TDC, give it another spin and itíll the mark returns to TDC then I put putty on the inside of the wheel on the side of the mark. I repeat, adding or taking some puffy as needed. When the mark lands in a different spot each spin it is balanced. Any wheel that will see speeds > 20mph gets balanced.

Make sure the inside of the wheels are clean.
    Make sure the bearings are smooth rolling. I bought a new set, removed the seals and put a drop of light machine oil on each one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Greatscott; 08-06-2019 at 07:09 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum View Post
    What speed are you getting on that gearing and what motor/esc?
    It's the 6s max 2200kv motor I believe.
    Running it as is on 4s I've been hitting 70. I just strapped my 6s into it (way heavy 8000mah ) and it hit 80..

I think it needs more road

RC Racer

I just put the tire on, clap it to the workbench and give it a spin. When it stops I mark TDC, give it another spin and itíll the mark returns to TDC then I put putty on the inside of the wheel on the side of the mark. I repeat, adding or taking some puffy as needed. When the mark lands in a different spot each spin it is balanced. Any wheel that will see speeds > 20mph gets balanced.

Make sure the inside of the wheels are clean.
    Make sure the bearings are smooth rolling. I bought a new set, removed the seals and put a drop of light machine oil on each one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Arghh! I had all the parts to make the balancer... but my truck uses 1/8 wheels. The adapter will not fit on my setup (looks identical to yours) because the 1/8 adapters I have are made for 4wd and have a bigger bore hole through the middle then 2wd front ends

RC Racer
    Hit 93mph today on 6s. I fixed my toe and between that and 7 more volts it doesnt do it anymore lol.

RC Qualifier
    Congrats!
    getting close to breaking triple digits.