RC Racer

New Rustler 4x4 esc overheating

I have run it twice, both times shut down after 10 minutes. No forward or reverse, but wheels can turn left/right. Fast blinking red light, can not turn off esc, you have to disconnect battery. I thought it was the battery the first time but I took my temp gun with me the 2nd time and the motor was 120 but the esc was 170. So its shutting down because the esc is hot.

I am driving in my backyard. Typical backyard, 50ft deep, 100ft wide. So not much room to open it up at all. So no super speed runs. The grass is short, only like 2 inches long.

The truck is only 1 week old. Should I take it back to the hobby shop? Or should I just contact traxxas? Or should I just go out and get a new esc and be done with it?

When you hit LVC or thermal shut-down then you need to disconnect the battery to turn it off. Any other time it will shut off when pressing the power button.

Running 2s or 3s battery? If 3, go 2. Purchase a fan for the ESC.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I am hitting it in 10 minutes or less, not running hard. So is this what Traxxas puts out? Everything you have told me is a bandaid, I would really like a fix so I can run the 3s batteries made by traxxas that traxxas says works on these trucks.

I ordered a esc fan yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I dont really want to go down to 2s. You buy a certain car because it has a turbo in it and has 600 horse power, the dealer says it will overheat if you drive the car with the turbos activated so you have to drive this new car with turbos with the turbos off. So instead of 600hp you are only going to get 200hp. Would me off, I wouldnt buy that car if that was the case. So knowing what I know now, that rustlers dont like 3s, I would not buy this truck.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-01-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Call Traxxas customer service. There is, obviously, a problem, but only they can properly troubleshoot. Yes, those of us in these forums can give you "ideas"...and, some of them might actually work...but ONLY Traxxas can give you qualified answers. One possibility is that the ESC could be malfunctioning. Another is the battery. A Traxxas technician will walk you through proper troubleshooting, and, if it's determined that, for example, anything is defective, they will replace it (not the whole vehicle, mind you...just the defective part(s).

If that's what happens, just make sure you remember to tell/remind them of one majorly-important thing - THEY need to cover shipping both ways. They'll always cover shipping the replacements to you, but getting them to cover the shipping to them can sometimes be "difficult". Depending on the problem (in my case, my Traxxas Dual Live charger died after 5 months, but they replaced with a new unit), sometimes you will have to pay the shipping to return to them...but, for other things (for example, a one week-old ESC that's overheating), you should never have to pay the shipping to return to them.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    I have app with hobby shop I purchased it from(last friday) at noon today. They will take care of all rma if it needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave13 View Post
    I have app with hobby shop I purchased it from(last friday) at noon today. They will take care of all rma if it needs it.
    That also works. Some shops (AMain, NorCal Hobbies, etc), if purchased from them, will handle those things. Some of the larger shops, such as AMain in Chico, & Friendly Hobbies in Las Vegas & Henderson(if you live close enough to physically go to the store) can even do the troubleshooting, and possibly on-site repairs. While there are a lot of LHSs that will just say, "Oh well, contact the manufacturer", it's good to know that there are shops that can, and will, help.

RC Racer
    Ok we put the traxxas fan that is like 25$ that snaps right on the vsl-3s. Dropped temps considerably, doesnt even get over 115. I'm going to buy a few of these fans for the future. Some will break for sure. I was able to get 30 minutes on it before the engine overheated in this Hot Houston weather we are having right now. I was really doggin on it to stress test it. Did awesome. I recommend if you have a vsl-3s esc, go get this fan.

RC Racer

With my first Rustler 4x4, that was, literally, the first "upgrade" I did. However, since all kits built since then have HW ESCs installed, I'm also switching Traxxas vehicles to HW ESCs...with ESC fans, of course.

RC Racer
    Panther I’m like that with my rock crawlers. With these I just want to bash. Plug and play put a smile on your face right out of the box. I think I may try an arrma product next. They say you don’t have to dump 200$ just to make sure it doesn’t break the first time you use it.

...you donít have to dump 200$ just to make sure it doesnít break the first time you use it.
    Not sure where you get that $200 figure. Out of the box, the only things I really NEEDED to do was add the ESC fan, and replace the plastic shock caps with the aluminum shock caps. That ends up being approximately $40, plus tax. Anything else I did beyond that...at least at that point in time...was purely by choice, not by necessity.

Panther I’m like that with my rock crawlers. With these I just want to bash. Plug and play put a smile on your face right out of the box. I think I may try an arrma product next. They say you don’t have to dump 200$ just to make sure it doesn’t break the first time you use it.
    Their forums reveal many issues with their vehicles. Not trying to sway you from going that direction but no brand is bomb-proof.

I've got a nitro Revo from 2009 that has had very little issues. My Slash 4x4 is a month old and have yet to break something. My son beats his Slash (owned for 4+ years) and the only parts broken has been a front tie bar and body mount.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-01-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    We live where it's super hot man, this is just part of our reality - when I got my Rusty a few months ago it was much cooler and I could run two 5200 packs flat out in a row no problems but now I'm getting about 4000mah before it overheats and this is even with an ESC fan and motor HSF. I would certainly prefer it to all run cool but it's just not in the cards.

Other than the plastic geared servo and the shock caps the truck has been tough as **** IMO, I've broken a few small bits but I feel for the amount of bashing I've done it has held up really well. I bought a cheap metal gear servo and GTR shocks btw, I recommend doing the same (although I've since upgraded servos).