RC poster

Capability of the slash

Good afternoon everyone. New to the forum. My question to you all is. Is the slash 2wd a good base to start with and later on upgrade to run in the MDM class and possibly run on pavement with the correct conversion? It's been 33 years since I last ran a rc car. Thanks

RC Racer
    Hello! Welcome to the forums! The 2wd slash is a great truck to start with, and the aftwrmarket is huge. It is great on pavement as well, especially if you reposition the shocks to a lower/stiffer setup.

RC Racer
    I have the 2WD Slash myself and love it. It will take a beating but not overly so. Use common sense is all. Get one and enjoy it.

RC Enthusiast
    The slash is a great short course truck, easy to work on, durable and huge “go fast” parts listing. Mine have been kid tested and Dad approved. Only parts so far is rear shock shafts and aluminum shock caps at all 4 corners. One is even our beach truck that takes a bath after every run. Can’t go wrong with a slash for sure.

RC Racer
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, and welcome back to the addiction!

I have a Rustler, which is almost the same as the 2wd slash oh, and it has been amazing. I recommended getting the VXL version, because it has a brushless motor, ball bearings, and hex Hardware. The XL 5 does not have any of those, but you probably know about motor maintenance. From other people that have gotten back into the hobby after a while there is a lot of new stuff. You may need to get another one for friends and family to use.

Add the bonus factor that replacement parts are available literally everywhere. You can also mix and match parts from different models and they fit, enabling more tuning options. Do others perform better, perhaps, but your Slash will do it all in one rig. I sound like a fan boi, yet I'm not. Give credit where its due, Traxxas offers some great products, at a reasonable pricepoint. Think, how many peeps have built a speed runner out of their sc truck of a different brand? I scratch build using their parts because they work and again, are everywhere. Get the lcg and add aluminum shock caps. Golden for good times.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, and welcome back to the addiction!

I have a Rustler, which is almost the same as the 2wd slash oh, and it has been amazing. I recommended getting the VXL version, because it has a brushless motor, ball bearings, and hex Hardware. The XL 5 does not have any of those, but you probably know about motor maintenance. From other people that have gotten back into the hobby after a while there is a lot of new stuff. You may need to get another one for friends and family to use.
    Oddly enough the xl5 2wd slash comes with all the ball bearings, hex hardware, adjustable camber links/turnbuckles, 2075 servo, etc minus the brushless motor, esc, and tqi rc/tx. There is a much smaller gap between xl5 and vxl models than there is with rustler, stampede, and bandit models, even the 4wd slash models.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 08-10-2019 at 02:29 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    That’s a good point as it’s pretty easy to go brushless (motor, esc, pinion and sour gear). For what you get on an xl5 version it’s a great value. And as MAC FAB stated one of the largest upgrade followings on you tube that you don’t see with other brands.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    the / can be upgraded to be pretty competitive with just about any two wheel drive Short Course Truck. The thing is by the time you're done doing that there's not much original truck left. The slash is a great truck to get you back in to the Hobby. If you're going to compete with it, it's going to need a lot to be competitive unless it's a slash only class.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Could you tell us where you are planning to drive? There may be another 2wd model that would suit you better.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashRunner80 View Post
    The slash is a great short course truck, easy to work on, durable and huge “go fast” parts listing. Mine have been kid tested and Dad approved. Only parts so far is rear shock shafts and aluminum shock caps at all 4 corners. One is even our beach truck that takes a bath after every run. Can’t go wrong with a slash for sure.
    Did you do the aluminum caps due to the plastic ones coming off in say a wreck or whatever and are they on the stock shock bodies? I've the same one shock cap come off and this might be a cure for it. Thanks.

Yes and yes. It is the cure.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Wouldn't have the part numbers by chance would you? Want to get them but make sure they're the right ones. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Is it? Or is it a gateway drug...I mean car? LOL

Yes and yes again. Caps solve the problem, hence the cure. It was my gateway car. How ironic. I am addicted now to scratch builds....