Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25

    New Rustler 4x4 VXL owner!

    Hello everyone,

    I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I recently purchased a Rustler 4X4 VXL for myself and a 2wd slash for my son. Ive been out of the hobby for about 10 years or so but we recently gained interest after he saw an rc tearing up the beach we were at one day. I was always around nitro rc growing up but I thought wed give electric a try.

    I do have a couple questions. Heres a list of what I bought for my truck.

    Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL RTR Stadium Truck TRA2832X
    Traxxas EZ-Peak Dual iD NiMH & LiPo Battery Charger 100W TRA2972
    Traxxas 5000mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery TRA2832X
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4 Battery Hold-Downs, Clip, Post & HW
    Traxxas Aluminum Ultra Shock Cap Blue Rustler 3767A

    I bought two of those batteries, are they okay to use with the truck in stock form? Were not going to be doing any racing or anything like that, just driving around in our yard/street. Should I change out to the addition pinion gear thats included? Is there something else I should purchase to make it safer to use? I used the battery finder on Traxxas website and saw that those are okay, but when I look in the manual it only really mentions 2s batteries. And only use 3s for constant high speed driving, which isnt what well be doing. Sure Ill rip it up and down the street a few times but I will also mess around in the yard as well.

    Any help would greatly be appreciated!! Ill upload some pics when everything arrives!

    I look forward to getting to know you all!

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    71
    Welcome to the Forum Theo, and welcome back to the hobby!

    I'm new-ish to the hobby (picked up a Brushed Rustler 4x4 for my boy's birthday in January, and then had to get a VXL for myself so I would not break his), so take my responses with a grain of salt, but your inquiries are straightforward enough that I think I got the right answers ;-) I'm sure that others will correct me if I get it wrong :-)

    Yes, the 3-Cell LiPo batteries are 'safe' for use in the VXL. If you had a 'Brushed' version, the answer would be no, but the Brushless Rustler 4x4 will take 3S without issue (other than the increased torque and speed potentially creating a faster Rustler than your returning-to-the-hobby reflexes might be ready for... but that is for you to determine). The additional torque that 3S can generate will stress the drive-line harder than 2S, but you don't drive it like my 9-year-old does (read: either full-throttle or full-brake all the time), it should be OK.

    As far as the gearing, unless you want an even faster (edit: higher top speed) Rustler 4x4, I'd leave the Pinion gear alone for the moment. On tall-ish grass and other "high resistance" surfaces, the lower-gearing should allow you to bash through it without heating up the motor and ESC the way that the higher gearing might.

    Depending on where you live, and how the temperatures that your motor and ESC reach, you could consider a fan for them, but straight outta the box, I'd not bother (note that I live in VT, not TX or FL).

    The only thing that I'd suggest that you consider purchasing to make the thing "safer" would be some kind of LiPo storage system. While the use of Traxxas batteries and Traxxas chargers lower the risk, LiPo batteries seem to be somewhat volatile, and personally, I don't want to have to explain to the wife that the house burned down cuz I walked away while charging the "Toy Car" (yes, I'm being a bit melodramatic, but do some research on LiPo battery fires and LiPo battery safety so ya know what you are dealing with here).

    I ended up purchasing some GTR shocks (via ebay - takeoffs from the Slash Ultmate) for the Rustlers in my house, only cuz we bent a few shock-shafts on the UltraShocks by running into immovable things. If you drive better than my boy and I do, that might not be a thing. :-)

    Best of Luck, and make sure to have fun! --BillJ
    Last edited by Single_Trac; 08-02-2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: clarified a few sentences

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Theo, and welcome back to the hobby!

    I'm new-ish to the hobby (picked up a Brushed Rustler 4x4 for my boy's birthday in January, and then had to get a VXL for myself so I would not break his), so take my responses with a grain of salt, but your inquiries are straightforward enough that I think I got the right answers ;-) I'm sure that others will correct me if I get it wrong :-)

    Yes, the 3-Cell LiPo batteries are 'safe' for use in the VXL. If you had a 'Brushed' version, the answer would be no, but the Brushless Rustler 4x4 will take 3S without issue (other than the increased torque and speed potentially creating a faster Rustler than your returning-to-the-hobby reflexes might be ready for... but that is for you to determine). The additional torque that 3S can generate will stress the drive-line harder than 2S, but you don't drive it like my 9-year-old does (read: either full-throttle or full-brake all the time), it should be OK.

    As far as the gearing, unless you want an even faster Rustler 4x4, I'd leave the Pinion gear alone for the moment. On tall-ish grass and other "high resistance" surfaces, the lower-gearing should allow you to bash through it without heating up the motor and ESC the way that the higher gearing might.

    Depending on where you live, and how the temperatures that your motor and ESC reach, you could consider a fan for them, but straight outta the box, I'd not bother (note that I live in VT, not TX or FL).

    The only thing that I'd suggest that you consider purchasing to make the thing "safer" would be some kind of LiPo storage system. While the use of Traxxas batteries and Traxxas chargers lower the risk, LiPo batteries seem to be somewhat volatile, and personally, I don't want to have to explain to the wife that the house burned down cuz I walked away while charging the "Toy Car" (yes, I'm being a bit melodramatic, but do some research on LiPo battery fires and LiPo battery safety so ya know what you are dealing with here).

    I ended up purchasing some GTR shocks (via ebay - takeoffs from the Slash Ultmate) for the Rustlers in my house, only cuz we bent a few shock-shafts running into things. If you drive better than my boy and I do, that might not be a thing. :-)

    Best of Luck, and make sure to have fun! --BillJ

    Thanks for the advice Bill! It is greatly appreciated! We live in south Jersey, generally the temperatures don’t get to hot but this summer we’ve had our fair share of 100 degree weather. However, it’s been cooler lately as we get ready to head into fall so I guess I’ll be okay with out the additional cooling for now.

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    189
    You will understand throttle control, your boy might not. It might be good to start him off on 2s, you will have to replace "fewer" parts this way.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdave13 View Post
    You will understand throttle control, your boy might not. It might be good to start him off on 2s, you will have to replace "fewer" parts this way.
    I totally agree, I did in fact get him a 2s. The two 3s were for me to be able to get some longer runs in.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28
    Looks like a great starting package to me, you've got the one major weakness (shock caps) covered and anything else can be replaced as needed. You two will have a blast!

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    38
    I'd recommend buying these replacement parts to have on stand-by:
    3-5 54t spur gears (#3956)
    2 9t pinions (#6745)
    2 front driveshafts (#6851A)
    2 rear driveshafts (#6852A)


    Those were the first things I broke, I did bash on it pretty hard though.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo15 View Post
    I totally agree, I did in fact get him a 2s. The two 3s were for me to be able to get some longer runs in.
    The 3s give you more speed, Mah's give you more runtime from what I understand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •