RC poster

Making sure I have the right motor

My uncle passed away and gifted his Stampede to my daughter and I'm trying to make sure I don't mess it up.

It came with a NiMH 7 cell battery and has the XL-5 ESC and stock Titan 12T. I've read conflicting information on if I could run LiPo batteries in this setup. Some say the motor has to be brushless, but I've seen that the ESC can handle LiPo.

Thanks for any assistance.

The ESC distributes the power tothe motor which does not know the difference between lipo and nimh. It does what it is told - forward and reverse and how fast. Make sure you set up the ESC to lipo mode.

Edit: if I recall, if you plug a 3s battery into the XL-5 but it will go into over-current protection as soon as you turn it on. The XL-5 HV in the TRX can accept a 3s.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-02-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    The 7-cell NiMH battery is 8.4v
    A 2-cell LiPO battery is 7.4v
    Given those things, it makes sense that a 2-cell LiPo would work in your existing set-up.
    Note that a 3-cell LiPO battery is a higher voltage (11.1v), and is more than likely not going to work safely (or for long) in your current set-up.

It's also worth noting that despite the 2-cell LiPo having a lower nominal voltage than the 7-cell NiMH battery (7.4v, vs 8.4v) the nature of the way that the two battery chemistry are, the 2-cell LiPo is likely to give "better" performance (and with lighter weight). That was my experience when I went from 7-cell NiMH to 2-cell LiPo in my boy's Brushed Rustler 4x4.

Oh, and as was stated earlier, be sure to enable LiPo mode on the ESC (green vs red LED on the ESC) so that you have the appropriate 'Low Voltage Cutoff' enabled on the ESC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNQMFzlN430
    https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-...-Detection-LVD
    https://traxxas.com/support/Programm...-Speed-Control

I'd also suggest that you do a little research on LiPo battery safety, as no one wants to burn the house down just charging a "kids toy". NiMH are a dependable, safer, if a little lower-performance option, IMHO.

Good Luck --BillJ
    Last edited by Single_Trac; 08-02-2019 at 11:44 AM.

RC poster
    Thank you very much for the advice. Battery safety is already a subject I'm well versed on. Just didn't want to damage a motor if it wasn't intended for use with LiPo, but the lower voltage and ESC changes make sense.

Again, thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Easy way to tell is check on the esc stickers if it says low voltage detection, if it does the esc has the option for low voltage lipo protection. And all you would need to do is make sure LVD is turned on when using lipo batteries.

The XL-5 is rated for 2S.(up to 8.4v)(this should be the model esc you have)(just need to check if it has LVD)
    The XL-5HV is rated for 3S.(this model esc comes in the TRX-4 crawler models)

As Double G said voltage is voltage. NiMh 7cell 8.4volts(7cellx1.2v=8.4v) is the same as LiPo 2S 8.4volts(2cellx4.2v=8.4v)

RC poster
    The ESC will work with LiPos, so now I'm trying to determine the max 'c rating' I can safely run that motor with. I know the C rating is basically the discharge rate...or how much amperage can be delivered, so what should be the max I should consider.

No need to worry about the max. Worry about the minimum. The ESC will pull only as much as it needs so it is better to have a reserve of "C" rating rather than not enough and puff a battery.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Good to know, thanks.