RC Racer

XMAXX on a budget

After going stupid wild on my Slash 4x4 and spending more than an xmaxx on it, I wouldn't mind having one of them as well hahahaha. I can't see putting down all that money at one time, but looking on Jennys RC there are a lot of parts. Would it be worth it to part one together over time off the parts that show up on there? I know it may take a while or I may have to pay full price for some of the stuff, but $4 for a chassis and not much for other parts it could end up saving some money in the long run right? I don't see any rollers on ebay anywhere. That led me to looking at Slash rollers for another project but I'd rather do something different and with more power.

Well, there's always the pay over time option Traxxas offers!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by calebgilmore View Post
    After going stupid wild on my Slash 4x4 and spending more than an xmaxx on it, I wouldn't mind having one of them as well hahahaha. I can't see putting down all that money at one time, but looking on Jennys RC there are a lot of parts. Would it be worth it to part one together over time off the parts that show up on there? I know it may take a while or I may have to pay full price for some of the stuff, but $4 for a chassis and not much for other parts it could end up saving some money in the long run right? I don't see any rollers on ebay anywhere. That led me to looking at Slash rollers for another project but I'd rather do something different and with more power.
    If youre going to build an extremely modified one, then yes I think that you can save money by building it up in pieces and using upgrades where possible. I was intending going this route as I intended to change:

The Radio
    The ESC
    The Motor
    The Servo
    The Wheels & tyres
    The Shell
    The A-Arms
    The Hubs
    The Gearing
    The Motor Mount
    Few Alloy parts.

Rather than pay the 950 they RRP at in the UK I intending build it up and building my upgrades into it. However, screws/bearings nd the the things you don't think about cost a lot.

In the end I found a used one that needed a little work for 575. I sold:

Radio: 60
    Servo: 20
    ESC: 75
    Motor: 70

This meant I had a complete rolling Xmaxx for 350 and allowed me to build it up as I wanted. I now have maybe 1400 invested into it instead of well over 2000!

Quote Originally Posted by calebgilmore View Post
    Would it be worth it to part one together over time off the parts that show up on there? I know it may take a while or I may have to pay full price for some of the stuff, but $4 for a chassis and not much for other parts it could end up saving some money in the long run right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You do realize that building it in stock form from scratch will cost much more than the whole truck. Just wondering: why? Most people will take a scratch build with what they want to accessorize it from the get-go.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...h-parts-needed

Financially speaking, it's always better (long term) to save your money until you can afford what you're buying, rather than to spend more money to have something you want sooner. This is especially true with "wants" more so than "needs."
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-03-2019 at 03:28 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

You definitely will spend way more parting it together off of Jenny's rc. That's why Jenny's rc is able to exist. By the time they part a complete one out they make a little more than they paid for a new complete truck. Roller is the best option. I bought a brand new one and sold off the stock electronics while they were new to fund new ones. I just did basic upgrades. So far the only thing I've had to replace was my 3 month old max5, steering servo, drive cups, and my reciever died.
    Aftermarket parts:
    Motor
    ESC
    Motor mount
    Gears
    Rear Carriers
    Servo and aluminum horn
    Wheels and tires
    Body
    Radio system

Everything else seems to be holding up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk