RC poster

Hello, newbie with questions of course

Hello, I just picked up what I think is an e-revo. It did not come with a charger or body so I have not been able to test yet. Fist question is, can anyone help me identify what model it is? Also, seeing is how I need to get a charger, what is recommended for a good charger at a decent price. I would also like to consider upgrading to a better battery and possible running two. What is recommended for batteries. I am very new to this rc world but I’m excited to learn and I can’t wait to start modding. Thanks for your help in advance.
    Last edited by d.man.oregon; 08-02-2019 at 11:10 PM.

RC poster
    Also, how do I upload a picture on here...lol

RC Qualifier
    On your phone use talkatap app for pics or imagur.

Without a pic hard to know what car u got.

Ideal batteries are smc 4500mha 3s 90c. If it's Revo need two..

A smc charger probably good. Or something your lhs has that will work with lipos. If want to get fast charge get dc to DC, but will be some $$$ over normal ac to DC charger. Fourms has some recommendations or search else where.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    On your phone use talkatap app for pics or imagur.

Without a pic hard to know what car u got.

Ideal batteries are smc 4500mha 3s 90c. If it's Revo need two..

A smc charger probably good. Or something your lhs has that will work with lipos. If want to get fast charge get dc to DC, but will be some $$$ over normal ac to DC charger. Fourms has some recommendations or search else where.

Thanks for the reply. I just got the Tapatalk so Iíll try to upload a pic that way.

You said ďsomething my lhs hasĒ whatís an lhs? Sorry for the dumb questions but this is all new to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Here are some pictures of what I picked up.

I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but to me, it looks like you have an older version of the Brushed 1/16th scale Erevo.

How much did you have to give for it? I recently bought an Erevo 1/16th brushed new for $179. at my LHS (Local Hobby Store.).

Here's what the new one looks like:

Last edited by USMC1984; 08-03-2019 at 10:43 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but to me, it looks like you have an older version of the Brushed 1/16th scale Erevo.

How much did you have to give for it? I recently bought an Erevo 1/16th brushed new for $179. at my LHS (Local Hobby Store.).

Here's what the new one looks like:

Thanks. Iím trying to see if I can find the original manual for it online so Iíll see if I can find the older version of the brushed erevo. I just want to make sure I have the right one so I can possibly upgrade the weak points. As for how much I paid. I gave the guy $20 so I think I got a decent deal as long as the whole thing isnít junk. It looks to be in really good shape. Not much in the way of scratches or even dust or dirt. It looks to me like it was barely used and maybe the charger got lost and not sure on what happened to the body of it.

This is the newer 1/16th manual:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...M-N-EN-R02.pdf

$20? Can't go wrong there!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    This is the newer 1/16th manual:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...M-N-EN-R02.pdf

$20? Can't go wrong there!
    Thanks. Yeah, I think so. Iím excited to get it running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by d.man.oregon View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I think so. I’m excited to get it running soon.

Heck, for $20, even if you have to replace most of it, you're still ahead.

RC poster
    So Iím looking into the batteries as suggested above as well as some others. How do I know what battery will work based on size and connectors? I would like to go duel batteries. I am also reading lipo is the way to go? Also, how do I identify which chargers work with which batteries?

RC Qualifier
    It's a older Merv ( mini e Revo). With brushed motor. I got mine used for 100$. So you scored..

Not sure if your ESC ( electronic speed controller) can Handel lipo batteries. Think it may be nmhi only. They esc will have the words low voltage cut off on it. If it can handle lipo batteries.

Can't read your battery specs. But probably nmhi.

I'm in Portland, not sure where your at in Oregon to recommend a hobby store.

They have what they call power up. Go to lhs for $105 to 110 can upgrade to a brushless motor along with new esc. Car so much more fun brushless,

If I know budget for charger and if wanting to go lipo batteries I can recommend some. Good DC/DC set up is about 300$. Battery charge in mins.
    Others can be had for 100ish

The manual and parts explosion for the one linked will work for yours. As far as I'm aware, only ESC and motor changed. On newer ones.

RC poster
    It's a older Merv ( mini e Revo). With brushed motor. I got mine used for 100$. So you scored..

Not sure if your ESC ( electronic speed controller) can Handel lipo batteries. Think it may be nmhi only. They esc will have the words low voltage cut off on it. If it can handle lipo batteries.

Can't read your battery specs. But probably nmhi.

I'm in Portland, not sure where your at in Oregon to recommend a hobby store.

They have what they call power up. Go to lhs for $105 to 110 can upgrade to a brushless motor along with new esc. Car so much more fun brushless,

If I know budget for charger and if wanting to go lipo batteries I can recommend some. Good DC/DC set up is about 300$. Battery charge in mins.
    Others can be had for 100ish

The manual and parts explosion for the one linked will work for yours. As far as I'm aware, only ESC and motor changed. On newer ones.

Thanks. I live in Eugene.

I checked the ESC and it dose not say low voltage cut off on it so then Iím guessing I canít upgrade the batteries until I upgrade the ESC. Here are a couple pictures of the battery if that helps. I will probably then try to pick up a charger that will work with the battery I have or is it possible to run two of the nmhi batteries? I donít know if the battery I have is any good anymore since itís been sitting for years. If thatís the case I can pick up two batteries and a charger to at least get it running. Then I can upgrade to the brushless and lipo later. Any recommendations on the nmhi batteries and chargers? I donít want to get really cheap ones but since Iíd like to upgrade soonish down the road, I donít want to buy expensive ones that I wonít be using later.

RC poster

RC poster
    Try Eugene Toy & Hobby, they would have a charger for you. I try to support my local hobby store before going online.
    Stop in there and they can get you all set up.

You may want to get a charger that can do lipo as well. Almost all lipo chargers also charge nmhi, or nicad, as well. So once you go lipo you got something that will work.

I use the Onyx 245,. But want to get a different one. It only charges at 40w a channel. Other DC to DC chargers can do 350w+ a Chanel. So my 80min charge drops to about 10 mins... On my e Revo 2.0. batteries my Merv charge in about 25 mins. On the onyx.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=530 charger I'm looking at upgrading to. It also need the DC to DC power supply.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...ry&path=67_168
    Best batteries. The 2500mha is 2s. The 1500 is 3s. Smc has the best lipos you can get IMHO,. Shipped only won't find locally.

Lipo batteries are all different in specs, quick break down
    Mha- how much storage capacity, how long of run time. Higher is better
    1s, 2s,3s,....... Cell count, normally higher voltage higher per cell, more cells = faster car will go. Merv only does 2s or 3s. Depending on esc.
    C rating. 20c, 40c, 90c. - current rating,. How much current can the battery output. Higher is better.

Same can be applied to nmhi as well. Other than they don't have S ratings an cell count. Normally don't list C rating.

Get a new battery. Nmhi has a shelf life and if not properly stored they are no good. That one is pretty old. It may have some juice to it but I doubt it. Perhaps get two. Run one and charge other.

You can run 2 batteries all it does is give you longer run time. Have to get a adapters as well. Not ideal to run 2 lipos in this car. Others do but has to do with how car detects low voltage cut off ( very important for lipos) don't discharge them past a certain voltage. Or you ruin them. This is why don't use lipo with your current esc.

Batteries for that car are like 20$ for lipos not sure on the nhmi. Probably cheaper? May have a hard time finding nmhi locally

Lipos will make the car faster, with longer run times and charge faster. All the way around better to go with lipo.

Brushed motor vs brushless is night and day on speed and run times with brushless. Brushless is way to go..

Upgrading to brushless requires also getting a new motor plate, heat sink, and spur gear cover. Maybe $15 in parts.

Get some good quality hand tools for fixing the car when it breaks. Don't remember the screw sizes.. but 2mm hex 1.5mm hex. Car has only 2 to 3 screw sizes. Cheap hex tools will wear out leaving you with a stripped screw head. Can always get a cheap multi set to get ya going then good versions of your most used sizes..

Also look at getting a wheel nut removal tool for the Merv. To take off tires. If guy u bought it from didn't give you any tools. If new car comes with one. Sockets don't work to get nut off unless thin walled, can't get a end wrench on it . Lhs may have one.
    It's due to how the stock tires rims are.....

Wow! Thanks. That is a lot really helpful information. You have answered a lot of my questions. Even ones I didnít know I had until now...lol Thank you so much. Now I feel ready to get to the store and get this thing running soon.