RC Enthusiast

LiPo in standard stampede?

So my 2 sons are bored with their stock stampedes already. They want to go faster. Iíve heard mixed opinions on using LiPo batts in these stampedes. They have the base model 2wd brushed version. Will lipos be pointless other than battery life? Or will they give them some extra speed/punch? Considering buying the brushless motor and esc to upgrade them in future but not this year. So Iím wondering if going to the 2s LiPo batts right now is worth it for these trucks. Or if Iím better off waiting for the total upgrade next year with the brushless motor/esc, and just buy the lipos then.

RC Qualifier
    2s Lipo is 8.4v charged
    Stock nimh is 8.4v charged
    3s Lipo is 11.1v but needs an upgraded esc and motor to use
    ex. Vxl 3s an 3500 motor
    So there is no difference other than run time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. 1 guy at the place said they’d have more punch. Other guy says same as you. It makes sense to me. The burst of the lipos is what I guess I wasn’t totally understanding. I’ll hold off and upgrade them to brushless next year I think.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-The-Ace View Post
    So my 2 sons are bored with their stock stampedes already. They want to go faster. Iíve heard mixed opinions on using LiPo batts in these stampedes. They have the base model 2wd brushed version. Will lipos be pointless other than battery life? Or will they give them some extra speed/punch? Considering buying the brushless motor and esc to upgrade them in future but not this year. So Iím wondering if going to the 2s LiPo batts right now is worth it for these trucks. Or if Iím better off waiting for the total upgrade next year with the brushless motor/esc, and just buy the lipos then.
    I have 2 stampedes like you have an I didn't really enjoy driving them much with NiMH batteries I bought a 5000 mah 2s 25c lipo battery an it woke them up I bought a wheelie bar for 1 as I only drive 1 at a time I was surprised but happy the difference a 2s lipo battery charges up to 8.4 volts on my digital charger before it shuts off I haven't had any problems with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    There is a huge difference between running one on a nimh and a 2s lipo. The lipo can supply a lot more power at once which makes the truck a lot faster overall, top speed is about the same but it gets there much quicker. Also, as soon as you start running a nimh it starts losing speed and power gradually the longer you run it. The lipo maintains pretty much full power over the entire runtime. Just because the voltage is the same doesn’t mean that runtime is the only difference.

The only real issue that you may have with a lipo, is that it ups the runtime so much that it’s easy to not pay attention and overheat the brushed motor on warm days. I was getting about 15 minutes of runtime out of the stock nimh, when I went to a lipo, depending on how you run it, you can get over 45 minutes, sometimes an hour of runtime. I have the same truck, 2wd brushed stampede, once you use a lipo in it, you’ll never go back to the nimh.