RC Enthusiast

race build slash

i want to get into racing but dont want to spend alot of money and i found a slash for a good price with lcg chassis and rpm parts. does anyone race with a slash and if so how do you place against tlr and ae?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx. D View Post
    i want to get into racing but dont want to spend alot of money and i found a slash for a good price with lcg chassis and rpm parts. does anyone race with a slash and if so how do you place against tlr and ae?
    The phrase I want to get into racing and I don't want to spend a lot of money do not go hand-in-hand. If you just want to go to your local track and Race For Fun regardless of where you place then go ahead and race The Slash. If you're new to racing and want to someday be competitive, you're better off with a tlr or AE truck. Look for a used tlr 3.0. You will spend less money in the long run on a racegrade truck , then trying to get the slash to the point where it's competitive.

That's not to say that a slash can't win. I seen guys race a slash against the other trucks and win, but he was a top-level driver. He could have won with a baby carriage. What I'm trying to say is, if you're a good driver , you can do well with just about any truck. If you are new, a race grade truck is easier to drive.

Just out of curiosity, what type of surface will you be racing on, Clay, carpet, dirt?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MaXDee; 08-03-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    The phrase I want to get into racing and I don't want to spend a lot of money do not go hand-in-hand.
    This could be considered an oxymoron.

The Slash absolutely can be made into a capable racer at a local club level, I have done it. I found it very gratifying to see the look on particular racers face's when they found out their AE or Ofna SCT just got beat by as Slash. But, if you intend on moving passed the beginner class, you will have to put in three times the effort to tune your truck, and four times the money to get it able to stand toe-to-toe with the race-bred trucks out there.

Like MaxDee said, there is no harm in racing, its a great experience and you meet some great people. One of the first mods I recommend is getting rid of those RPM arms, they are great for bashing, but they flex horribly and make steering sloppy.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    The phrase I want to get into racing and I don't want to spend a lot of money do not go hand-in-hand. If you just want to go to your local track and Race For Fun regardless of where you place then go ahead and race The Slash. If you're new to racing and want to someday be competitive, you're better off with a tlr or AE truck. Look for a used tlr 3.0. You will spend less money in the long run on a racegrade truck , then trying to get the slash to the point where it's competitive.

That's not to say that a slash can't win. I seen guys race a slash against the other trucks and win, but he was a top-level driver. He could have won with a baby carriage. What I'm trying to say is, if you're a good driver , you can do well with just about any truck. If you are new, a race grade truck is easier to drive.

Just out of curiosity, what type of surface will you be racing on, Clay, carpet, dirt?

My local track is outdoors and very dusty but the local tenko team driver said on race day it has good grip so he runs dirt webs which surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx. D View Post
    My local track is outdoors and very dusty but the local tenko team driver said on race day it has good grip so he runs dirt webs which surprised me.
    Most likely they water it down and remove the top layer of dust, essentially you are running on clay.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    This could be considered an oxymoron.

The Slash absolutely can be made into a capable racer at a local club level, I have done it. I found it very gratifying to see the look on particular racers face's when they found out their AE or Ofna SCT just got beat by as Slash. But, if you intend on moving passed the beginner class, you will have to put in three times the effort to tune your truck, and four times the money to get it able to stand toe-to-toe with the race-bred trucks out there.

Like MaxDee said, there is no harm in racing, its a great experience and you meet some great people. One of the first mods I recommend is getting rid of those RPM arms, they are great for bashing, but they flex horribly and make steering sloppy.
    I may have jumped the gun a bit in my answer. I, like yourself, raced my slash against the tlr and AE guys. I also raced a tlr 22sct 2.0. Out of the box with some mild shock tuning, the tlr was a great racer. I had more than twice the amount of money into my slash than the tlr to get it to the point where I could keep up with the race bred trucks.

I would just hate for the OP to start dumping money into the truck only to be frustrated with the trucks performance. If nothing else, get some track appropriate tires like the dirt webs you mentioned and go to the track and race. I would definitely take Greatscott's advice and ditch the RPM arms for stock or the Pro-Line ProTrac kit. The proline kit does come with the proper offset Wheels (0 offset for SCTE/TEKNO/PRO TRAC) for you to put your track tires on.

I put the proline ProTrac suspension on my truck and never broke or cracked an a-arm. They are thicker then stock. Very Stout. Between the ProTrac and the lcg chassis, it made a big difference in the way the truck handled compared to stock.

$20 for a complete set of stock Traxxas f/r a-arms or $60 for the ProTrac suspension. The one thing I never liked about the stock slash arms is the front and rear offset are different so you can't move your front tires to the rear and vice versa. With the ProTrac, the front and rear offset are the same.
    What I did on my 2wd trucks is whatever the two best types of tires that worked at my local clay track, I would put the better gripping Tire (Caliber) on the rear, and the other (Holeshot) on the front. This was all based on track conditions. If the Calibers weren't working and the hole shots were better, I would just switch them as opposed to being stuck with one set of tires that might not work.

Last edited by MaXDee; 08-05-2019 at 01:42 PM.

RC poster
    I'm a decent offroad racer (3rd or 4th place consistantly). With that said, I went to Beach RC in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina & got whooped by the mid-motor TLRs. They just handle sooooo much better. They are quick to settle after landing from a jump. Where the Slash has so much hysteresis after landing. By the time my Slash settles, people are catching me or pulling away from me. It is just no comparison.

This was a high grip clay track. If it was on a loose/loamy track, I might have a better chance. Then it would come down to driving because the track would be an equalizer.

I DID come in third place at a loose track in Sumter where I was the only Slash AND the only one with a brushed system.

(video proof on youtube)