RC Enthusiast

Thinking about a Rustler

Iíve been in the hobby for years, my kids both have slashes, my son and I have 4wd stampedes for trail running, and he just got a Ford GT this year. Weíre pretty sold on the Traxxas quality and reliability that they bring, the ease for parts and the ability to swap radio/motors/escís Between them. So hereís the question... Iím looking for a smaller RC truck to take with me on the road (i travel for work) as a parking lot stress relief and/or a stock class stadium truck racer. If I go anything other than the Rustler it will probably be a kit as I enjoy building and tinkering. Iím watching fleebay, but most likely will go new unless I can find a good deal on somethingís thats not been abused.

Question is and I think I know the answer would be to go ahead with the VXL due to the upgrades in the chassis (bearings vs bushings, adjustable links) as these are things I would want anyway. Is there any advantage to not getting the VXL other than price for the XL5 version. I could get the least expensive xl5 as I donít need batteries or chargers. Weíve been happy with the xl5, but Iíve also had some experience with the vxl system.

RC Racer
    I went with the lowest price XL-5 I could find. Only thing original on it anymore is the chassis. If I could do it over, which I am , I would start from scratch. Buy each part and put it together.

RC Qualifier
    Get the vxl and donít look back.

RC Enthusiast
    I’ve thought about that as well, start with a black frame and work up from there, but the pricing on the vxl makes it too tempting. Did you go vxl eventually or stay with the xl5 electronics?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only issue with the VXL is the weak esc. If get the vxl and sell the esc.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Racer
    I went with Castle. Maybe Hobbywing with this upcoming build.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool, I’ve used HW brushed ESC’s and they’ve been pretty reliable. I like the VXL motor as it’s super simple and cheap to re-bearing. I’ve got an extra motor so may do a mix then.

RC Enthusiast
    Well my new to me VXL rustler arrived today!! My son has first crack at it in training mode and hit the front tire on my truck..... so the first bit of shinny parts go on tonight with some blue aluminum front c-blocks. Shocks are leaking so I’ll be rebuilding them this weekend as well with Ti coated shafts in the rear. I like the size as it’s shorter than the slashes so I can fit it in a large back pack with my controller, battery and charger. This will allow me to travel with it and do some parking lot bashing in the evenings after work.

RC Competitor
    I got a VXL roller for 50 bucks, it looked like it had sat on a shelf for a while. I had to supply all the electronics, which was fine, I had a spare Kinexsis 3000kv brushless system and a servo from a RTR buggy that’s being converted to a short course truck. Idk how powerful the VXL system is in the 2wd rustler, but holy crap. This 3000kv motor seems too powerful. It’ll wheelie all day and won’t stay in a straight line under power lol

RC Enthusiast
    From what I’ve read if you either seal your diff or buy a sealed diff you can cut down on the pull when using brushless power. I’ve not tried it, but may need to once I open it up to 100%.

RC Competitor
    I may look into that slashrunner. This truck is so light I’m thinking I’ll need to find a slightly less powerful brushless system for it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s built really well and handles brushless power no problem, I just think a higher kv motor with less torque might be a good idea for me since this is the first 2wd rc I’ve had since my Tamiya Hornet, and it was bullet proof back then on a Trinity P2K Gold Pro motor lol

RC Enthusiast
    Haha, Rocket those old Trinity motors had so much style and pulled like crazy. Kinda miss the flashy style of the 90’s RC can motors. The rustler is definitely a fast on brushless, but with the 3500 velion and right gearing it just takes good throttle management ��. Tires are next as the original rear pins are almost gone.

RC Racer
    It will be easiest to start a new thread, but here is my thread about my new tires. I'll post a review of my tires after some use.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...w-I-need-tires!