RC poster

Question What LIPO- battery should i choose and what mistakes should i avoid?

Hello! I am quite a newbie in rc-trucks and this hobby overall but i love it. I bought my Traxxas F150 Raptor about a year ago and have been running it occasionally or basicaly whenever i wanted to. I had bought a traxxas ID charger with it , becouse i had an accident with 1/16 slash when the battery caught on fire , luckily i was there and nothing happend(i was stupid, bought the wrong battery used stock charget and everything) I have learned A LOT from then. (2 years ago) Sorry for quite a long introduction but i had to write everything.

Okay So:

I am going to buy Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL since i love the looks qnd everything and have few questions.
    -I have decided that i am going to buy 3s LIPO battery 25C 5000mAh from traxxas( i want to keep everything traxxas)
    so about that battery -

Parts that i am going to buy:

•5000mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery #2832X
    •LIPO Safe Bag
    •Traxxas Cooling Fan For Velineon Esc- TRA#3340

• [Q1] I have read how to take care of it and everything , discharge etc. I am also going to buy safe bag (wonder why) are there any tips you are going to give me or mistakes i should avoid?
    • [Q2] I am also going to buy fan for the ESC (heard it can make longer runtimes and cool down etc and battery a bit) so i was wondering is this piece waterproof? And can i install it to the Rustler (I mean if it wont be blocked by anything?)
    •[Q3] And again battery - Should i after every run plug the battery into the traxxas ID charger and set it to STORE , will it also discharge it not only charge it?
    •[Q4] Also , can i whenever i want to stop the run with the rc and store the battery? I am asking becouse i heard i should discharge it. Thats why i am asking Q3
    •[Q5] How long is the 3S battery lifespan? And how not to make it shorter?
    [Side note: I am checking the temps of the motor and battery regulary]

I am sorry if this is too long and full of grammar mistakes , writing this on a phone. I have been qondering about these questions quite sometime, but now decided to ask since i am going to buy thr rustler. I know some of you guys have years and years of expierience and it would really help me if i could get them answered thanks!

Edit: Sorry! One last question: I want to choose 3S becouse its faster but is it better, safer than 2S? Does 2S have a longer lifespan? Is there any other difference than that the 3S is faster?
    Last edited by Martin421; 08-03-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Question added + few grammar fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Martin421 View Post

Okay So:

I am going to buy Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL since i love the looks qnd everything and have few questions.
    -I have decided that i am going to buy 3s LIPO battery 25C 5000mAh from traxxas( i want to keep everything traxxas)
    so about that battery -

Parts that i am going to buy:

•5000mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery #2832X
    •LIPO Safe Bag
    •Traxxas Cooling Fan For Velineon Esc- TRA#3340

• [Q1]Don't start a fire.
    • [Q2]I'm not sure.
    •[Q3]I just unplug it and run it the next day...if I'm going to be several days, I'll store charge it or if I've run them down, I'll either charge or store charge.
    •[Q4]Discharging through the charger takes FOREVER! quicker and more fun is to run the car.
    •[Q5] I'm not sure the lifespan of the battery, probably depends on too many factors.
    [Side note: I am checking the temps of the motor and battery regulary]

Edit: Sorry! One last question: I want to choose 3S becouse its faster but is it better, safer than 2S? Does 2S have a longer lifespan? Is there any other difference than that the 3S is faster?
    Hello, and welcome!
    I also have a Rusty and it's my favorite car! I run it on 2s 2843x's 5800mah 7.4v It lasts 40-60 minutes on a charge and is plenty fast!
    I also have the 2832x's and it runs wicked fast on them but I haven't run it for long on them because I got them primarily for the E-Revo 2.0.

I may be wrong but I don't think the heat is as much of an issue when running two-celled batteries. I have experienced no breakage while running the 2s. I suspect the 3s batteries may put you in the danger zone though.

The Rustler is an all-around fun car...and the one I'd pick if I could only have one car.

Have fun!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Hello, and welcome!
    I also have a Rusty and it's my favorite car! I run it on 2s 2843x's 5800mah 7.4v It lasts 40-60 minutes on a charge and is plenty fast!
    I also have the 2832x's and it runs wicked fast on them but I haven't run it for long on them because I got them primarily for the E-Revo 2.0.

I may be wrong but I don't think the heat is as much of an issue when running two-celled batteries. I have experienced no breakage while running the 2s. I suspect the 3s batteries may put you in the danger zone though.

The Rustler is an all-around fun car...and the one I'd pick if I could only have one car.

Have fun!
    Hello! Thanks for reply and advices. I am wondering then which battery should i choose 2s 2843 or 3s. If i would choose the 3s what kind of breakage are you talking about? Sorry but i quite didnt get that. I was thinking also if i added motor heatsink and upgraded the shocks if that would fix the problem. Thanks!

Edit: Also i am not the people that would bash the rc i dont like that. I would only do some runs on pavement grass etc , maybe topspeed run carefully etc.
    Last edited by Martin421; 08-04-2019 at 03:36 AM.

A1: Don't over-discharge the battery. Once low-voltage cutoff hits stop driving. Let the battery cool for a few minutes and charge to storage if you don't plan on running again. Don't let the battery sit for more than a day or two at full charge or full discharge. Buy a battery with a higher "C" rating so that it can supply the amps the ESC & motor draw. If a battery cannot supply the power it will start to puff.
    A2: The Traxxas ESC fan is not waterproof or water resistant. You may end up finding one that is but a good thing would be to disconnect it if you are running through water and make sure it is dry. The Traxxas one snaps right on.
    A3 & 4: Again, if you will not use the battery for a while, storage charge it. If it is at 7.8v it will discharge to the 7.6v but it will take a long time. If you can, run your truck for a little while longer and charge it up to 7.6v.
    A5: Depends on how much you use and care for it. I've had some batteries last a season, others going on three or four years. Long life depends on care. Checking the temperature is a good thing but being OCD about it will kill the love of the hobby.
    A6: 2s will give you slower speeds but a 5200mAh in either 2s or 3s will give you the same run times. 3s batteries have reportedly brought higher temps to the ESC so if you use them be sure you have plenty of airflow over the electronics. I run 2s and am happy with their performance for now.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-04-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    A1: Don't over-discharge the battery. Once low-voltage cutoff hits stop driving. Let the battery cool for a few minutes and charge to storage if you don't plan on running again. Don't let the battery sit for more than a day or two at full charge or full discharge. Buy a battery with a higher "C" rating so that it can supply the amps the ESC & motor draw. If a battery cannot supply the power it will start to puff.
    A2: The Traxxas ESC fan is not waterproof or water resistant. You may end up finding one that is but a good thing would be to disconnect it if you are running through water and make sure it is dry. The Traxxas one snaps right on.
    A3 & 4: Again, if you will not use the battery for a while, storage charge it. If it is at 7.8v it will discharge to the 7.6v but it will take a long time. If you can, run your truck for a little while longer and charge it up to 7.6v.
    A5: Depends on how much you use and care for it. I've had some batteries last a season, others going on three or four years. Long life depends on care. Checking the temperature is a good thing but being OCD about it will kill the love of the hobby.
    A6: 2s will give you slower speeds but a 5200mAh in either 2s or 3s will give you the same run times. 3s batteries have reportedly brought higher temps to the ESC so if you use them be sure you have plenty of airflow over the electronics. I run 2s and am happy with their performance for now.
    Thanks for reply! Now i understand thanks! I think i have decided for 2S since there are many more things to go with with 3S. That being said. Can i ask you if you have any fan on esc and is it necessary since i am going with 2S? or any upgrade that you recommed (I am going to buy some shocks and aluminium slipper bearings adapter) Thanks again. Also sorry , dont want to be annoying with a lot of questions but i am really curious and new here! Thx
    Last edited by Martin421; 08-04-2019 at 06:29 PM.

I have a Traxxas fan on my Traxxas ESC and a Castle fan on my Castle ESC.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    My son own a rustler 4x4 vxl and i must say that this is the thoughest 1/10 scale truck they ever made!
    Have did a couple runs on it on 3s with stock gearing, no issues at all.
    I felt it run hotter on 2s and with 17 pinion vs 3s and stock 11 pinion.
    It give more punch and you also have option to get 50mph with the 17 pinion.

My best advice for you is to manage your esc temp every 3-4 minutes in the beginning until you learn your truck.
    How hot it gets depend on your drive style, temperature outside and where you drive it, as mutch as what gearing you have or lipo.
    Since you are new to this great hobby i would buy a 2s, when you getting bored and want more you go with 3s.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin421 View Post
    Thanks for reply! Now i understand thanks! I think i have decided for 2S since there are many more things to go with with 3S. That being said. Can i ask you if you have any fan on esc and is it necessary since i am going with 2S? or any upgrade that you recommed (I am going to buy some shocks and aluminium slipper bearings adapter) Thanks again. Also sorry , dont want to be annoying with a lot of questions but i am really curious and new here! Thx
    I think if you’re running stock gearing on 2s, you’re probably ok without a cooling fan. You could always drill/cut a few cleverly placed vent holes in the body as well, for ventilation. I’ve never seen a waterproof ESC fan.

It also depends on what type of driving you’re doing, and how much stress you’re putting on the system as a whole. Best upgrade I ever made was switching to castle ESC and motor. SW4 with a 3800kV motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk