RC Racer

Thermal Shut Down Question...

Hello... Do all esc's have a thermal shut off before you damage anything?

I can't think of one that I have used recently that does not have a thermal shutdown, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there that doesn't.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    The reason I asked is because I'm driving my kids nuts. I let them drive their car for about 10 minutes and then I'm checking temperatures constantly. They don't seem to get over about 150 degrees on the motor and 115 on the esc. I have a Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT with a 3800 KV combo on their Rustler geared at 21/86. The gearing is somewhat high according to specs from Castle Creations. I'm going to lower it, even though I've not to have a thermal shutdown.
    Last edited by OtisWhitestone; 08-02-2019 at 07:50 AM.

RC Competitor
    The temps you read are fine.

I check the temperature of new/changed systems often, depending on the outside temperature and the intensity of the driving.
    After a while I just check every once in a while (again depending on the conditions/driving).

The first year I geared my Rustler (SW3 -4600KV) low, to be safe (running on 2S).
    I've spiced it up after a year, now mostly running on 3S (with an added fan on the ESC).

The ESC's I use all have thermal protection for the ESC, not all systems have a thermal protection for the motor.

The Hobbywing Max10SCT combo (3200KV) that I use in my Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4 has a thermal protection for the motor, but it will only kick in at 221 F (or 257 F = 2e option).
    I like to keep the temperature of the motor < 160.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OtisWhitestone View Post
    The reason I asked is because I'm driving my kids nuts. I let them drive their car for about 10 minutes and then I'm checking temperatures constantly. They don't seem to get over about 150 degrees on the motor and 115 on the esc. I have a Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT with a 3800 KV combo on their Rustler geared at 21/86. The gearing is somewhat high according to specs from Castle Creations. I'm going to lower it, even though I've not to have a thermal shutdown.
    You talking in Celsius or Fahrenheit. If in Celsius it most likely doesn't have one. In my traxxas slash 4x4 (ultimate) it slows the car down a lot when the motor temp goes over 65 Celsius. Not sure on the esc but my esc has never really got that hot cuz i run 2s lipo's only at the moment.

RC Competitor
    The temps above are in Fahrenheit.

The VXL Velineon combo has a thermal protection for the ESC, not for the motor.