Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    I'm going to convert my Revo back to nitro. The final straw was that cerakote increased the cost of there smallest ceramic coating from $15 to $30 and shipping costs and extra $20...
    Yup. Its roughly 5 times cheaper to run.

Here is my Gasoline revo
    $30 coating + extra $20 = $50. Wouldn't it make sense to run gasoline at $3.00 a gallon vs. nitro fuel at $40-$50 a gal?

Why convert back to Nitro?

RC Racer
    Theoretically, but I'm not positive the ceramic coating will even work. I have already blown an ez start, ez start motor, ez start battery, a pull start, and engine back plate because it takes a lot more turning over to start and the high compression doesn't help either. The reason it takes so long to start is the carb is too big so it takes a lot to get the fuel flowing even with priming and the choke. Also with the carb that's too big it doesn't like sudden large throttle changes. So over the quarter gallon of gasoline it has had through it I have payed way more in replacement parts than I would have payed just for a gallon of nitro.

Finally I have dreamed of this rc car sense 1st grade. I now have one and it sits around not being used because I don't have the time to finish the trial and error process to try and make it run well. I finally got to go bash RC cars with my uncle a week ago and I forgot how much I missed it. I probably hadn't bashed an RC car in 3 months when I finally did it last week. It basically comes down to I would rather pay $50 per gallon and use my car than watch it sit and never get used.

I should have more time this summer so I may revisit the conversion then. I really want to run gasoline but I just don't currently have the time.

Finally I have dreamed of this rc car sense 1st grade. I now have one and it sits around not being used because I don't have the time to finish the trial and error process to try and make it run well. I finally got to go bash RC cars with my uncle a week ago and I forgot how much I missed it. I probably hadn't bashed an RC car in 3 months when I finally did it last week. It basically comes down to I would rather pay $50 per gallon and use my car than watch it sit and never get used.
    That's the best answer! It's not about proving right or wrong, but to have fun. And to be able to enjoy that time with family and friends makes it that much more special.

RC Racer
    I got some pics of the porting. I tried to reflect all my porting with the port jobs that RB mods does and with everything else I have read on porting these engines. I know its not near perfect but I noticed a large jump in power all round but primarily in the top end.

Last edited by Bob2.0; 02-19-2020 at 07:53 PM.

RC Racer
    Crankshaft- I tried to keep the CG of the crankshaft as close to the same as possible so it isn't too off balance. I also bored out the hole a bit that travels from the carb to the crankshaft. Finally with my Dremel I delayed the closing of the intake by a degree or two to increase top end in sacrifice of some bottom end power.

Last edited by Bob2.0; 02-19-2020 at 07:49 PM.

RC Racer
    Sleeve- just basic fang mods

Last edited by Bob2.0; 02-19-2020 at 07:42 PM.

RC Racer
    Other parts- top is the carb I crammed on my revo. bottom is a stock cylinder head vs my modified cylinder head.

Last edited by Bob2.0; 02-19-2020 at 07:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Bob, you mentioned reading about porting a 3.3. Can you give some references? Just wondering if it would help a nitro only motor.
    Thanks ahead.

RC Enthusiast

Link doesn't work. But if it is a link to porting a nitro engine then you can do it. Practice on an old sleeve so you can work the bugs out of your hands and abilities. I've done a very mild port to my old 3.3 and it seemed to work - but that engine had a piston from one engine, sleeve from another and was repinched.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys anyone have have pics on a simple port and polish on the 3.3?
    Last edited by kdeon44; 04-18-2020 at 10:08 AM.

RC poster
    I will try this mod.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123