RC poster

Traxxas engine converted to gasoline

With lots of research I believe I have found a way to convert a nitro engine over to gasoline through modifying the compression, running a very hot glow plug, changing the carb to a walboro, and modifying all fuel lines. The result should be an engine with 80% the original power, 6x cheaper to run, and 3 times the run time per tank. Most Traxxas engines could also be ported to make up for the lost power.

I am considering converting my own car .
    Last edited by Double G; 08-05-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: soliciting

RC poster
    As an update I'm currently working on the conversion. Currently I have modified the fuel lines and am running an OS LC4 glow plug. I'm trying gasoline with a 20:1 oil mix (gasoline is a natural lubricant so it doesn't need as much oil) I'm not finished but I tried to run it anyway. It gets really close to an idle and will sputter a lot. It is hard to find the perfect tune but I'm starting to think it will actually work.

btw the car I'm using is an original Revo 2.5r
    Last edited by Bob2.0; 08-14-2019 at 02:52 PM.

RC poster
    I got the engine to rev up once on gasoline and run for a few seconds. Like I expect the gasoline is hard to find the proper tune to start let alone stay running. I want to try mixing 20% methanol to the gas to make tuning and starting easier. Sadly before I can continue I need to re-pinch the cylinder sleeve to restore some compression to my 8+ year old trx2.5r.

If anyone has comments or insights it would be appreciated.

RC Racer
    You might try using a hotter glow plug LC3? That LC4 is a med. There's not much of a selection of long reach plugs. There have been engines converted to run on gas. Read it is a lot of trial and error. Best of luck with the mod .

You might get some answers looking through model airplane forums. Those guys have done and tried lots of things.

RC poster
    I've been planning on using the OS lc3 but none of my local hobby shops have it in stock. I need to order it off eBay or something. I would go with a CDI ignition system but my engine will rev to about 55k rpm (it has been ported) and the fastest CDI system tops out at 35k rpm. If any of you know of a faster CDI system information would be appreciated.

As the airplane forums go I have read all I can find, but my engine is 1/5 the size of their engines and my engines rpm is 4x higher.