RC Racer

New tire suggestions

I have Mashers on my Stampede VXL running 2s. Ive broken quite a few yokes in the front. These things are so grippy!
    I would like a tire Similar to the Duratrax Picket. They seem to grip enough but have enough slip to keep from tipping also. I picked up the Picket SCs but they were too small looking for the Pede, so I sold them to my brother for his Slash. Awesome tire.
    Right now Iím looking at the Bandito 2.8. This would be for street, gravel, some grass.. and for bashing mainly. Iím not interested in TRenchers, Ive tried them, I like em, but I donít want that much grip. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are looking for that rainbow unicorn all RC land vehicle owners want. The tire that is useable with grip on "grass" and "street" sorry but it still doesn't exist. There are 2 tire types ones that work good on high traction surfaces and ones that work good on low traction surfaces. Or hybrids that compromise between the two. I am one of those freaks with a unhealthy tire fetish. I have several totes full of slightly used tires from years of testing. ATM I would say Badlands MX series or Trenchers as the best compromise tire.

My personal suggestion is to buy 2 sets one for loose low traction surfaces and one for tight high tractions surfaces. Because those tire types have some of the most advanced development.

*This advise should easily be considered not for racers.*

RC Qualifier
    Have you looked at the JConcepts G-Locs Yellow compound.
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconcep...85825?v=221352

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Have you looked at the JConcepts G-Locs Yellow compound.
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconcep...85825?v=221352
    I have been looking for something like this for my Stampede. I think the Duratrax pickets have that forgiving slide on pavement and on grass, but they donít come in MT size. I have them on my Slash.
    So these are for Beadlock style rim? Are they the Traxxas beadlock rims?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    You are looking for that rainbow unicorn all RC land vehicle owners want. The tire that is useable with grip on "grass" and "street" sorry but it still doesn't exist. There are 2 tire types ones that work good on high traction surfaces and ones that work good on low traction surfaces. Or hybrids that compromise between the two. I am one of those freaks with a unhealthy tire fetish. I have several totes full of slightly used tires from years of testing. ATM I would say Badlands MX series or Trenchers as the best compromise tire.

My personal suggestion is to buy 2 sets one for loose low traction surfaces and one for tight high tractions surfaces. Because those tire types have some of the most advanced development.

It exists in a weird way for me because the stock tires pretry much worked for me. I tore those up lol. There are some big compromises with those tires on both surfaces but they worked for me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    I have been looking for something like this for my Stampede. I think the Duratrax pickets have that forgiving slide on pavement and on grass, but they don’t come in MT size. I have them on my Slash.
    So these are for Beadlock style rim? Are they the Traxxas beadlock rims?

I have no idea about these tires or rims, I was looking for replacements like you and came across these and I'm thinking of giving them a try in the future and after reading what you had described they seemed to match. I was looking at these with the factory rims.
    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/search?terms=3056-3030

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    GLocs suck off-road. Itís a road tire, great road tire, but road still the same. Iíve been recommending these to mild road guys for years. After having a set myself.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    GLocs suck off-road. It’s a road tire, great road tire, but road still the same. I’ve been recommending these to mild road guys for years. After having a set myself.

Thanks lol no roads where we run so I'll keep looking. The OP did mention street,gravel and some grass and I thought they met his needs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Thanks lol no roads where we run so I'll keep looking. The OP did mention street,gravel and some grass and I thought they met his needs.
    No worries. Just speaking from personal experience

RC Qualifier
    It's all good, without guy's like you and others on here to offer personal experiences it would be trial and error and down right costly so thanks.

Have you tried the 2.8 chevrons from the brushed stampede 4x4? They wear forever on concrete and don't have a ton of grip in the grass or on concrete.

I run 17mm 2.8" trenchers with 5mm hot racing adapters. The extra width helps with traction rolling. Not a ton... but it does help.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier

Listen to this guy, he speaks a lot of sense.

A tire that grips in grass, and grippy enough on pavement but not too grippy ? I would love to get a set too if it exists. Right now my favorite are also the Trencher and Badlands MX28. The badlands mx in particular, is insane. You can even do standing backflips with ease on 2s with a 11t pinion.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 08-12-2019 at 02:08 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks a lot for all the advice. I guess Iím not exactly looking for perfection. Iíll put it like this. I liked the stock Talons on road and grass. So I guess Iím not looking for perfection.
    My Mashers look like the rims are beginning to wear. I do have aluminum 12mm adapters. Maybe I should think about going to 17mm? Less wear and wider stance.
    Thanks again for all the input.

Here is an example of the Picket ST next to stock Chevrons.

I do love the Picket ST on my Slashes but have not tried it on the Pede yet they seemed abit small imo but for street use I would consider them.
    Last edited by zedorda; 08-12-2019 at 02:17 PM.

RC Racer
    Here is an example of the Picket ST next to stock Chevrons.

I do love the Picket ST on my Slashes but have not tried it on the Pede yet they seemed abit small imo but for street use I would consider them.
    Ha I accidentally ordered the ST for my Pede. I tried them and on street they did good and what I wanted.. they just looked so small. Reminded me of a lot of trucks I see on the road. Big lifts and small lopro tires. I sold the pickets to my brother after one use. He loves them on his Slash for pavement and grass. May not be perfect, but a nice trade off.
    If only they made Pickets in MT size.
    I think i will just continue to roll on these MAshers, and get Front Teckno Driveshafts. I have the MIPs on the rear.

About a year ago I sent Duratrax an email saying I wished they would make the Picket style into MT tires but I think they might need more incentive.

If you liked the talons get some of those. It's okay to use stock parts if they work for you. I run talons on a couple trucks for just that reason... Kinda grippy, but not too grippy.

RC Enthusiast
    What about the tires for the armana truck tou would need adapters but I'm just having a wild thought.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My favorite 2.8 tires for tenth scale trucks are the Jconcepts choppers. I will admit I don't run on pavement, but when I have zipped a truck down the road on these to test them them did very well. The reason I like them is they have good traction on hard pack, they are above average on loose terrain, and with a little more throttle you can break them loose and drift and what not. The tire carcass is ribbed, so they actually don't balloon too bad. Plus you can get them on sale. I have run them on my slash 4x4 for years and my proline pro mt4x4 that runs 4s, geared 20/44 with a castle 1512- 2650kv 4268, and they are just awesome.
    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/choppers-28-wheel
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconcep...63087?v=300483

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer

New tire suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by czlynx View Post
    If you liked the talons get some of those. It's okay to use stock parts if they work for you. I run talons on a couple trucks for just that reason... Kinda grippy, but not too grippy.
    I may lol. I just wanted a little more from the Talon. I tore those up quick lol! Lots of tire glue later, theyíre now Rc stands to keep my trucks up off the suspension and tires. Isnít there another traxxas vehiclesís stock tires that do well. I think Iím just going to order the front Tekno shafts and wear out the Proline Masher Chevrons, then upgrade to 17mm hex. Maybe I will just get Trenchers next lol!

Hereís my Slash build with Duratrax Pickets. Gonna start painting the body soon!

RC Racer
    I will definitely check out the JConcepts. I may break down and just buy the Bandito MT to run on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    then upgrade to 17mm hex. Maybe I will just get Trenchers next lol!
    That's what I run on my stampede 4x4. HR 17mm adapters, MIP x-duty cvd's and 17mm 2.8" trenchers.
    Expert rigging at it's best!