Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 59 of 59
  1. #41
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Finally got my JConcepts Scalpel Chevy C10 body cut out and painted. This is like my second body I painted since 1985...lol. I goofed and painted the white first. Luckily the light blue didnt alter the white when I sprayed over it. Decals are next for the body. Then I need to put my 17mm hex adaptors on so I can put my GRP tires on and I'll be ready for my first speed run. Getting close.
    Last edited by Fullspectrum; 08-24-2019 at 07:12 PM.

  2. #42
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,532
    Lookin' good!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  3. #43
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Lookin' good!
    Thanks brother. Yeah she's slowly coming together. Just a few more things to do and I'll be ready to parachute this baby...haaha...hope not. Here's a few pics with the decals applied and the body on the Slash.

  4. #44
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    86mph so far....need more space.

    https://youtu.be/rmLyg8Zw2Po

  5. #45
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    617
    Nice Run! You may want to take some extra precaution taking your kid with you. Imagine the car loosing control (like it did on the one pass) You wont have enough time to protect the child. I have my son stand behind a fire hydrant or tree etc...

    You could imagine the damage that a 15 lbs object going 80+ mph could do. A visit to the Emergency room would be happening and momma would be throwing dads hobby in the trash!

    Cool down's are a good idea between runs and make sure tires are good and hot. Some people do a little burn out holding the car still to warm them up before running. Keep in mind some GPS need a few seconds to record peak speeds. The run distance is always much longer than people realize.

    Great pass for a cheap motor like that!

  6. #46
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    Nice Run! You may want to take some extra precaution taking your kid with you. Imagine the car loosing control (like it did on the one pass) You wont have enough time to protect the child. I have my son stand behind a fire hydrant or tree etc...

    You could imagine the damage that a 15 lbs object going 80+ mph could do. A visit to the Emergency room would be happening and momma would be throwing dads hobby in the trash!

    Cool down's are a good idea between runs and make sure tires are good and hot. Some people do a little burn out holding the car still to warm them up before running. Keep in mind some GPS need a few seconds to record peak speeds. The run distance is always much longer than people realize.

    Great pass for a cheap motor like that!
    Yeah I hear ya on having my son there. I told him to run if it looked like it was coming at us but for sure it would be nearly impossible to get out of the way. My older son 12 years old usually comes with me.
    I like pushing the cheap esc and motors. I may try a cheap esc as well. My TT02 Tamiya on my channel does 80mph on Surpass motor and esc. Going for 100mph as a first big goal.

  7. #47
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    So I broke 90mph but in a slightly ugly way.
    Carnage video here: https://youtu.be/ZSugIWge73k

  8. #48
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    617
    Glad it didn't have too much damage after all of that.

    Not sure if you have opened up the diffs yet and put thicker fluid in but that really helps. (something like 500k or 1 million cst)

    Also highly recommend getting the GTR shocks/springs on there. IF the rear end squats at all the front end lifts and = crash every time. Keeping everything planted at high speeds is a must.

  9. #49
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum View Post
    So I broke 90mph but in a slightly ugly way.
    Carnage video here: https://youtu.be/ZSugIWge73k
    At 5:20 if you watch close u can see the front left wheel turning left while you were doing the throttle. Were u also thumbing the wheel? Because if it's doing it by itself that explains the first crash and maybe the others.

    I wonder if that is why they use ripple killers?

  10. #50
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    Glad it didn't have too much damage after all of that.

    Not sure if you have opened up the diffs yet and put thicker fluid in but that really helps. (something like 500k or 1 million cst)

    Also highly recommend getting the GTR shocks/springs on there. IF the rear end squats at all the front end lifts and = crash every time. Keeping everything planted at high speeds is a must.
    Thanks for the tips bro. No I haven't opened the diffs yet. I have a diff locker coming...Im just not sure if I want it on the front or rear end. The car pulling with a locked front end might help keep it straight I would think. But then If one wheel on the back loses traction and spins up fast when I go full throttle that could cause the back end to swing out. So lock the rear?
    Plus I dont have the body taped up on the sides. I have a 2mm GT body on order so that may help. I will open the diffs and lock or put 1 million cst in. I appreciate the help. More to come....hahahaha.
    Last edited by Fullspectrum; 10-07-2019 at 03:55 PM.

  11. #51
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    At 5:20 if you watch close u can see the front left wheel turning left while you were doing the throttle. Were u also thumbing the wheel? Because if it's doing it by itself that explains the first crash and maybe the others.

    I wonder if that is why they use ripple killers?
    Thanks for the observation. Im not sure if I did it with the wheel or if it just went left on its own but I crashed the same way each time. Is there any way to lower the rate on a stock traxxas radio? I may just put my spektrum radio in.
    Also the GRP tire on the front left came unglued on the outside of the wheel. It must have been expanding big time...not sure when that happened. Did you see my Tamiya TT02 easily get 90mph? Its overgeared but is straight as an arrow.
    Last edited by Fullspectrum; 10-07-2019 at 04:05 PM.

  12. #52
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum View Post
    Thanks for the tips bro. No I haven't opened the diffs yet. I have a diff locker coming...Im just not sure if I want it on the front or rear end. The car pulling with a locked front end might help keep it straight I would think. But then If one wheel on the back loses traction and spins up fast when I go full throttle that could cause the back end to swing out. So lock the rear?
    Plus I dont have the body taped up on the sides. I have a 2mm GT body on order so that may help. I will open the diffs and lock or put 1 million cst in. I appreciate the help. More to come....hahahaha.
    I would go locked rear, and thick fluid on the front. (this way it will still steer for the u-turns at the end of each run)
    The differentials in RC cars are what is called an open differential. This means that when one tire breaks traction all the power will go to that wheel. IT will also nearly double the speed to that wheel. During that situation it is very common to "pop" a tire or have it come unglued. Fixing up your differentials should fix this issue and help keep the car going straight.

    Soft suspension was also a big issue for me on the Slash. Any hard throttle application and the car would spin out due to body roll/weight transfer. If you look at any of the guys going fast with the Slash they all have GTR shocks with the very stiff revo springs.

    Good luck, and I look forward to seeing more!

    FYI look me up on YouTube. I have an interesting speed project going on. Full carbon fiber chassis and custom made body. Shooting for the 170 to 190 mph range

    I cannot get the URL link to work but look up Liberty Francis Arrma Unlimited.

    -Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 10-07-2019 at 04:12 PM.

  13. #53
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I would go locked rear, and thick fluid on the front. (this way it will still steer for the u-turns at the end of each run)
    The differentials in RC cars are what is called an open differential. This means that when one tire breaks traction all the power will go to that wheel. IT will also nearly double the speed to that wheel. During that situation it is very common to "pop" a tire or have it come unglued. Fixing up your differentials should fix this issue and help keep the car going straight.

    Soft suspension was also a big issue for me on the Slash. Any hard throttle application and the car would spin out due to body roll/weight transfer. If you look at any of the guys going fast with the Slash they all have GTR shocks with the very stiff revo springs.

    Good luck, and I look forward to seeing more!

    FYI look me up on YouTube. I have an interesting speed project going on. Full carbon fiber chassis and custom made body. Shooting for the 170 to 190 mph range

    I cannot get the URL link to work but look up Liberty Francis Arrma Unlimited.

    -Liberty
    Thanks for all your help brother. I may have subbed you already but if not I will right now. I did stiffen up my suspension but maybe its not stiff enough and I have no sway bars. I will do the locked rear and thick fluid front diff.

    Yeah weird..your channel link doesn't work. Heres a link to his latest vid if anyone wants to get to his channel.
    https://youtu.be/BZQ0Kh_7ZgQ
    Last edited by Fullspectrum; 10-07-2019 at 04:20 PM.

  14. #54
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Anyone know what mounts I can use to fit a GT style body?

  15. #55
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum View Post
    Anyone know what mounts I can use to fit a GT style body?
    I used the Traxxas Rally front bumper and Pro-Line Racing 608700 Extended Front and Rear Body Mounts for Slash 4x4
    (it looks like that Rally bumper is harder to find now days)
    If my memory is serving correctly, I believe I flipped the rear mount to make it sit lower.

    This setup is what Phill has on his 160 + mph slash 4x4 and the GTR shocks as previously mentioned.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdbnD_u6Xk

    You may also notice the weights sitting on the front bumper to help keep the front end down. (covered in a GoPro sticker)

  16. #56
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I used the Traxxas Rally front bumper and Pro-Line Racing 608700 Extended Front and Rear Body Mounts for Slash 4x4
    (it looks like that Rally bumper is harder to find now days)
    If my memory is serving correctly, I believe I flipped the rear mount to make it sit lower.

    This setup is what Phill has on his 160 + mph slash 4x4 and the GTR shocks as previously mentioned.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdbnD_u6Xk

    You may also notice the weights sitting on the front bumper to help keep the front end down. (covered in a GoPro sticker)
    Actually those are the mounts I have on it already. Im just not sure a GT body will fit on those mounts. I guess we will see once my body arrives.

  17. #57
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum View Post
    Actually those are the mounts I have on it already. Im just not sure a GT body will fit on those mounts. I guess we will see once my body arrives.
    It is certainly a grey area of which bodies fit the Slash well without some crazy modifications. Which body did you order?

    My experiences with the Delta Plastics bodies was that they work, but not an exact fit.

  18. #58
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    It is certainly a grey area of which bodies fit the Slash well without some crazy modifications. Which body did you order?

    My experiences with the Delta Plastics bodies was that they work, but not an exact fit.
    I ordered a Delta Plastik Toyota GT1 1992 and a Delta Plastik Jaguar XRS.

  19. #59
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum View Post
    I ordered a Delta Plastik Toyota GT1 1992 and a Delta Plastik Jaguar XRS.
    Those should both work well. I had the Toyota GT1 on my Slash 4x4. Most of the speed guys run the Jag body...
    I say keep one for the shelf and one to drive!

    They rarely last more than 2 outings before they get all scratched up

    I am sure you noticed the trimming off the rear spoiler and cut out the rear body. Both for aerodynamic reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •