RC Racer

Cleaning...What a drag!

Cousin and I were out a couple of weekends ago on a dirt track that we made and I must say cleaning these things can take some serious time!
    I pulled the back section off last night (haven't driven since it got dirty) and it took an hour to pull everything apart, except new shock oil, scrub it clean and reassemble. Haven't even touched the front end yet. It is amazing how much dirt will accumulate on these things.

So I guess my question, instead of just a thread whining about it, would be: Anybody have any tricks/tips to make it easier than disassembling the entire truck?
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Qualifier
    Before starting the process remove tires and any not waterproof parts

1. Use and air compressor Blow off the dust

2. Vacuum with the brush attachment

3. Spray it down with the hose dry with air compressor and wd40 screws so they donít rust

Use automotive tire shine if wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple cleaning solution... Simple Green Foaming Crystal. Check out Mark Santa Maria's video, on YouTube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRuxiNnxTA&t=339s

You can get it from Amazon, as he suggests, for about $12-15/can (that's single-can pricing...per can proving is cheaper when you purchase by the case). Or, get it from Home Depot, as I did, for only $6.44/can.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    I use that stuff too but it is a concentrated liquid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    So you guys don't totally disassemble it to get all the dirt off the bearings out of the front/rear diffs?

Good input so far! Thanks.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

I do a full disassemble in the fall when they get stored for the winter. Otherwise it is the air compressor and some wipes - I don't go full detail on them because they will get dirty the next time out.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I use the garden hose and the air compressor but strip and clean every 3 months when I repack all my bearings.

RC Racer
    Well that's good to know. Guess I will not worry as much about it unless maybe it's more like sand or heavy mud.

Thanks!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    Well that's good to know. Guess I will not worry as much about it unless maybe it's more like sand or heavy mud.

Thanks!!
    I run in sand pits occasionally and don't have any gritty bearing issues, but like I said I repack my bearings every 3 months. Water is my worst enemy that's why I use marine grease and I very rarely replace any bearings and I usually still have some grease left in them. I have repacked axel bearing sooner if we run in steady water conditions but mud is never an issue, garden hose and air. Making sure it's dry after is huge.

RC Racer
    I've never repacked rc bearings before. Do they come apart, how do you get them cleaned/packed?

That is good to know that I don't have to do this every time we run at his place. I'd never drive in the dirt again if I had to!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Qualifier
    I've never repacked rc bearings before. Do they come apart, how do you get them cleaned/packed?

That is good to know that I don't have to do this every time we run at his place. I'd never drive in the dirt again if I had to!!
    I use a small exacto knife to pop the rubber seals and soak them in wd40 in a small jar and work them to get any crud out then give them some air to get them spinning then spray them with brake cleaner blow dry then pack. It is time consuming but they last a long time doing this and brand new bearings don't have a lot of grease in them and should be done before install even if they are cheap to replace. If you set a maitenance schedule for every 3 to 4 months it'll give you a better idea on the parts that wear and usually saves money in the long term.The main bearings to keep an eye on is the axles to the wheels, those get the most water abuse. Now go find some mud and have fun lol.

RC Racer
    I just watched a video after reading this, doesn't look too bad. Guess I'll be adding that to my quarterly cleaning.
    No mud around here, we haven't had rain in over a month, but we have plenty of dirt.

Thanks!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Qualifier
    I just watched a video after reading this, doesn't look too bad. Guess I'll be adding that to my quarterly cleaning.
    No mud around here, we haven't had rain in over a month, but we have plenty of dirt.

Thanks!!
    I know there is a few of us on here that always has a set packed and ready to go, so when it comes time to strip it down and clean throw the set already done in as you put it together and clean and pack the other set on rainy days or when your bored and have free time.

RC Competitor
    Oh what I wouldn’t do for a compressor. It makes things so much easier. I wonder how that a simple Green spray would fare against the hardened clay I have to chisel off m truck each week. Would WD prevent the clay from sticking in the first place?
    Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-14-2019 at 03:43 PM.

RC Racer
    You can pick up a small pancake compressor at Harbor Freight, on sale, for $40. Well worth it!!
    WD40 may help some but I'd wear gloves when picking it up.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Competitor
    Pam cooking spray does a good job keeping mud from sticking to dirt bike fenders.

RC Competitor
    Buying a cheap compressor wouldn’t be a problem. The noise they make is. Small bungalow/main floor hobby room. Oh well, not the end of the world.

RC Qualifier
    Dry lube also works well for keeping dirt off chassis and screws and such. It will however leave a white film on things. To me the benefits outweigh the film it leaves.