RC Enthusiast

Pinion gear stuck on the motor shaft?

The motor runs fine, The pinion moved back towards the motor, so about half of the spur doesnt touch the pinion.

I noticed this when you would give full throttle from a standstill the rig would shake before take-off.

I have taken the motor out of the truck, and the grub screw came out fine. The pinion was no longer aligned were the flat part of the shaft and the grub screw would connect.

I have sprayed wd-40 on it a couple times, and can't get the gear to budge.

If I put the exposed part of the motor shaft into a vise, and put a long screw were the grub screw goes I can get it to "spin" but only for a little bit at a time before the vise loses its grip on the shaft.

Any tips on how to get this this off and hopefully reset?

You need a Tarot Metal RC Gear Puller. You can get it on Amazon for 19 bucks.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-08-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    will that fit with a stock xmaxx pinion?

I don't see different sizes?

It looks like it. I have a several different sized ones that I've had for years, so I'm in good shape. I don't have this particular one, but if it doesn't fit I'd send it back.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks I appreciate it

RC Enthusiast
    This seems to happen to me everytime I change mine. I lock tight(blue) it and hand tighten it down real tight then when I change I struggle to get it off the motor shaft.

I normally have to loosen the motor free and pull it out some. Then I hit the pinon so it moves closer to the motor. Then grab it with pliers and pull. Sometimes I have to repeat and try again lol.

I should prolly just invest in the puller tool...haha

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    You need a Tarot Metal RC Gear Puller. You can get it on Amazon for 19 bucks.
    Good find. I thought I was a genius when I bought something similar from Home Depot for my gears.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Blowin View Post
    This seems to happen to me everytime I change mine. I lock tight(blue) it and hand tighten it down real tight then when I change I struggle to get it off the motor shaft.
    If you guys are having trouble getting your pinion gear off due to Lock-Tight, and not because its jammed, all you have to do is heat up your pinion gear with a heat gun. Once heated up your gear will pull right off without any issues. You can also do this for set screws too. Keep and use your gear pullers on gears that are dry-jammed or pressure fitted.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-09-2019 at 03:24 AM.