New X-Maxx owner here. Essential upgrades? Couple questions...

I am not going to be bashing like Kevin Talbot, but I will be jumping and bashing moderately hard.

What are the weak points (if any) that I should be prepared to upgrade/replace?

How much run time do you think I will get with 2 5000mah 4s batteries?

What is the top speed running 8s, stock gearing?

Thanks in advance! I am REALLY excited about this truck!!!

BTW - I have an e-Revo 2.0 and 2 of the mini Revo VXLs (that I might be selling now that I have the X-Maxx)
    If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.

RC Qualifier
    Max6 esc is the number one thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a steering servo fail but that's it. I have only run 2832x batteries in it though and it's plenty fast as it is. Powering it up will surely create much more breakage.

I wouldn't get rid of the E-Revo just yet...they actually make a pretty good pair.

I cannot run anything bigger than the Rustler in front of my house due in large part to a cartwheeling E-Revo and a brand new Dodge Charger passenger door!

I can still run the mini-Revo all day in the yard and driveway though...mine isn't even brushless, but it's still very fun!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get RPM rear hubs. I have a Proline Brute body, with the appropriate washers to bash with, along with several that just look nice. Iím a big fan of upgrading, so Iíd put heavier springs on it, I run 1.4ís in the front and 1.5ís in the rear with 60wt oil all around. Iíve upgraded most of mine, steering felt sloppy(too much plastic), so I took care of that too. I have a build thread on this forum. Kind of details my choices and why I made them.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    Get 6700 mah batteries instead. Strengthen your body with ShoeGoo and FibaTape. Buy some cheap body savers, you can get all of this stuff from Home Depot for cheap so you don't have to spend the money on the Brute body. Also get the RPM front and rear bumper supports. I put a lot of this stuff in videos/threads on here. Here is the hauler I made to carry mine around, especially after it breaks when bashing:

I suggest selling the mini E-Revos and getting one Rustler 4x4.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

This was a duplicate post...
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-09-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post

Smashing idea...err...BASHing idea! I do LOVE the Rustler!

Get 6700 mah batteries instead. Strengthen your body with ShoeGoo and FibaTape. Buy some cheap body savers, you can get all of this stuff from Home Depot for cheap so you don't have to spend the money on the Brute body. Also get the RPM front and rear bumper supports. I put a lot of this stuff in videos/threads on here. Here is the hauler I made to carry mine around, especially after it breaks when bashing:

What will the 6700mah batteries give me besides longer run times?

and thanks!

And that Rustler 4x4 VXL looks nice.... Real nice... Size wise, it's like in-between the Mini and full size Revos?

Quote Originally Posted by atoms View Post
    And that Rustler 4x4 VXL looks nice.... Real nice... Size wise, it's like in-between the Mini and full size Revos?
    It's still my favorite! Both paint jobs look like a Velociraptor or something! I wish I could get it's paint on ALL the Traxxas models...and also the X-Maxx's RnR paint on all of them as well.
    If I ever have time to paint some bodies it might be fun to do a Days of Thunder theme on a few cars...I always like that set of cars paint schemes, especially the Mello Yellow and Hardees ones.

As for the Rusty, I keep it on 2s but did run some 3s in it for a bit...still haven't broken a single thing on that car.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    It's still my favorite! Both paint jobs look like a Velociraptor or something! I wish I could get it's paint on ALL the Traxxas models...and also the X-Maxx's RnR paint on all of them as well.
    If I ever have time to paint some bodies it might be fun to do a Days of Thunder theme on a few cars...I always like that set of cars paint schemes, especially the Mello Yellow and Hardees ones.

As for the Rusty, I keep it on 2s but did run some 3s in it for a bit...still haven't broken a single thing on that car.
    Nice. I definitely bash hard enough to break stuff... my philosophy is my sig...

BUT, I am not like crazy trying to break them like I see in some youtube vids where guys are jumping them at 50+ mph off huge half pipes... (I'm looking at you, Kevin Talbot!) I love those vids, but man... I ain't trying to break it...

It seems like the X-Maxx is pretty durable. As is the Revo 2.0... which I've cartwheeled at 50mph with no damage at all...

But I am looking for the flaws that I can make small upgrades to avoid fixing more expensive stuff... prime example: A lot of people said the Revo 2.0 pops shot ends and rod ends in the rear because of the suspension over extending, so I did the limiting straps... seems like a cheap and easy way to avoid other repairs... anything like that I need to know about the X-Maxx?
    Last edited by atoms; 08-09-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Nice. I definitely bash hard enough to break stuff... my philosophy is my sig...

BUT, I am not like crazy trying to break them like I see in some youtube vids where guys are jumping them at 50+ mph off huge half pipes... (I'm looking at you, Kevin Talbot!) I love those vids, but man... I ain't trying to break it...

It seems like the X-Maxx is pretty durable. As is the Revo 2.0... which I've cartwheeled at 50mph with no damage at all...

But I am looking for the flaws that I can make small upgrades to avoid fixing more expensive stuff... prime example: A lot of people said the Revo 2.0 pops shot ends and rod ends in the rear because of the suspension over extending, so I did the limiting straps... seems like a cheap and easy way to avoid other repairs... anything like that I need to know about the X-Maxx?
    I have only had a failed steering servo in the X-Maxx so far. I have the new one but haven't installed it yet.

As for cartwheeling...I got damage from cartwheeling my Evil-O (E-Revo 2,0)! The Evil-O survived just fine...my Charger's passenger door, not so much!

RC Qualifier
    What will the 6700mah batteries give me besides longer run times?

and thanks!
    Yes, 5000 MAH batteries on 8S will not last long. I ran my 6S X-Maxx on 3S 5000 MAH batteries for about 25 minutes with breaks too cool down. My 8S X-Maxx on 6700 mah batteries lasts about 25 minutes with breaks.

As for Rustler 4x4 size:

It is quite a bit bigger than your mini E-Revo. You will actually be able to drive it in grass.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Donít trust the pin system to mesh your gears. So many complaints on that. I also found the factory battery hold downs pop up on crashes, leaving your batteries susceptible to ejection.

Yes, 5000 MAH batteries on 8S will not last long. I ran my 6S X-Maxx on 3S 5000 MAH batteries for about 25 minutes with breaks too cool down. My 8S X-Maxx on 6700 mah batteries lasts about 25 minutes with breaks.

As for Rustler 4x4 size:

It is quite a bit bigger than your mini E-Revo. You will actually be able to drive it in grass.
    Cool! Thanks!

OMG.. already pulled 6 screws through the body... lol... better get those body savers...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I get 30 minutes of hard bashing out of my 5200 4 s Power Hobby packs. Week parts AR rear bearing carriers and shock shafts so far for me. Everything else has held up admirably to the crazy beatings I give this truck. I do break the occasional lower suspension arm, and steering link, but but that is not the truck's fault. It's just driver error breaking those parts
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    OMG.. already pulled 6 screws through the body... lol... better get those body savers...
    Just use washers... much cheaper. Also can use washers for the screws that hold the hinge pins in for arms. The pins tend to fall out due to flexing. Bash on

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Get the type that I made in my video. I think with screws the total is around $7.

RC Racer
    since we are talking about upgrades. i got a max 5 esc want to redo some stuff on my xmaxx like new motor, new connectors , gears and so forth. im leaning on the xt90 anti sparks or the castle creations 6.5mm for esc and hopfully batteries. (if i can get the castle 6.5mm from anywhere besides maxamps) im new to soldering i dont mind soldering on a esc or make charge leads for it. but not so on batteries just yet. any thoughts? i do plan on 8s and 6s setups

Quote Originally Posted by dallas1990 View Post
    since we are talking about upgrades. i got a max 5 esc want to redo some stuff on my xmaxx like new motor, new connectors , gears and so forth. im leaning on the xt90 anti sparks or the castle creations 6.5mm for esc and hopfully batteries. (if i can get the castle 6.5mm from anywhere besides maxamps) im new to soldering i dont mind soldering on a esc or make charge leads for it. but not so on batteries just yet. any thoughts? i do plan on 8s and 6s setups
    I am not good at soldering by any means, but I do use the castle 6.5mm connectors and they are really easy to solder. Only difference doing batteries is obviously don't let the leads touch together. It's really not bad to do, and you won't have much luck finding batteries that come with castle 6.5mm connectors. Like you said max amps is about the only place. Max 5 I would go with the castles, an xt150 or Offshore Electronics 8mm antispark. You are pushing the limits on an xt90 and I've heard it's hard to solder the fat wire from the max5 into them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I am not good at soldering by any means, but I do use the castle 6.5mm connectors and they are really easy to solder. Only difference doing batteries is obviously don't let the leads touch together. It's really not bad to do, and you won't have much luck finding batteries that come with castle 6.5mm connectors. Like you said max amps is about the only place. Max 5 I would go with the castles, an xt150 or Offshore Electronics 8mm antispark. You are pushing the limits on an xt90 and I've heard it's hard to solder the fat wire from the max5 into them.

thats what i was thinking. at the moment my max 5 has xt150 plugs but those are hard to find anywhere but there nice. i do like the cc 6.5mm i guess no worries since they look really easy to solder. maybe after the esc and charge leads i'll feel better about battery soldering. i guess i could order a smc battery with a trx plug and that way when i solder the new plugs the other wire has a plug on it to minimize shorting and shocks. plus getting the battery with trx plugs is free.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas1990 View Post
    thats what i was thinking. at the moment my max 5 has xt150 plugs but those are hard to find anywhere but there nice. i do like the cc 6.5mm i guess no worries since they look really easy to solder. maybe after the esc and charge leads i'll feel better about battery soldering. i guess i could order a smc battery with a trx plug and that way when i solder the new plugs the other wire has a plug on it to minimize shorting and shocks. plus getting the battery with trx plugs is free.
    I would go with the xt150s if you already have them on there. All you'd have to do is batteries. I see xt150's in stock everywhere.
    https://www.amazon.com/Amass-Female-.../dp/B01EUFHAIK
    https://www.venompower.com/products/...tery-and-esc-1
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMASS-XT150...-/273259853177

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I would go with the xt150s if you already have them on there. All you'd have to do is batteries. I see xt150's in stock everywhere.
    https://www.amazon.com/Amass-Female-.../dp/B01EUFHAIK
    https://www.venompower.com/products/...tery-and-esc-1
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMASS-XT150...-/273259853177

Easy to solder and plenty of current capability.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the links, I'm just afraid of buying fake ones. My local hobby shop sells xt90 s and I can find cc 6.5mm