RC Enthusiast

Thought on my fan mod

Let me start by giving some prior details.

Esc is max 6 and using badlands tires.
    I have been running 21/46 and have never had a problem. I've recently added some new hot racing parts and with it some weight...

After adding the hot racing parts the xmaxx went into thermal shut down. This also happened after i just put on castle 2028 fan, which should have helped some over the stock cooling fans.

To help solve the over heating issue I have just installed 2, 12v computer fans(80x80x25) over the motor and esc, and took the 2 little castle 2028 fans and installed them on the shock tower.

The 12v fans I wrapped around the esc leads that plug into the batteries. So once I plug in the batts the fans kick on.

My question is, do you think I will run into any problems with this set up? I looked around and couldn't find anyone that has a similar set up. I have not ran it yet and would like to hear some thoughts on this before I do.

I also just swapped the pinion from 21 to 24. So 24/46 will be what I'll run depending on how I like it.

Let's hear your thought!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Hello, I do like your two 80mm fan setup. but I don't think those two 2028 fan will help anything there.(I found the stock cooling fan is more powerful than the castle 2028 fans) Might be better to mount them at the side of heatsink instead?

I assume this setup is for speed runs? If not, that gearing is too high for bashing. And the HR blinks are just too nice to bash with. =)

RC Qualifier
    Are the fans blowing down onto the heatsink, or drawing the air away from the heatsink? ie, which way round are they installed?
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

You should consider gearing down, or getting a motor and ESC that will let you use the gearing you want for the speed you desire.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Agree with RG. Side note, how do you like the sway bars?

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Enthusiast
    The fans are blowing at the esc and motor. Can feel strong air flow blowing out bottom of truck.

What engine and esc would you recommend?

I only did sway bars in the rear for now... imo not much improvement but only ran it once since install..

RC Qualifier

Thought on my fan mod

The problems I had with mine were that the balance plug kept unplugging and the other problem I had was that the fan was stoping on even sight impact(flicking the side of the fan) and then the fan would have to re-spool and by that time the next impact would of already occurred

My fan is also a little bit taller and smaller it is 60x60x40 so I will want to see if your fan works better

Itís not fully assembled in this pic but it will give you and idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Overpowerxmaxx; 08-09-2019 at 10:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I use a single CPU fan and mount it at a 45į angle so it blows across both the ESC and the motor. I have a max 6 and the stock motor running at 22/46.
    I donít have any heat issues, but what I do have is sometimes a small wood chip or rock will get lodged in the fan in Jam it.

Shortly after that the truck will go into thermal shut down. Thatís happened 2-3 times to me.

I have not put any thermal compound between the heat sink and the motor. If I start to run into issues there that will be my next mod

RC Qualifier
    The reason I do the 45į angle is I have found that if you sandwich the fan right up against the motor or the ESC it moves a lot less air. If I were you I would experiment with raising the fans at least a half an inch away from the motor and I bet you will feel a lot more air moving around down there . Remember you have all the air going into the fan but how does it exit from the fan if it’s sandwiched up against the motor

Last edited by Snowcrossmxz; 08-09-2019 at 12:31 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I put some styrofoam under the fans to raise it away from the esc and motor and to also help absorb some force when I bash. I will let you guys know my results when i get a chance to try it out

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Blowin View Post
    What engine and esc would you recommend?
    That all depends on what you want to do with it, and what working parameters you want for what you want to do.

RC Enthusiast
    I like to bash, crazy jumps and i like speed lol guess I want best of both worlds...

RC Qualifier
    Let me start by giving some prior details.

Esc is max 6 and using badlands tires.
    I have been running 21/46 and have never had a problem. I've recently added some new hot racing parts and with it some weight...

After adding the hot racing parts the xmaxx went into thermal shut down. This also happened after i just put on castle 2028 fan, which should have helped some over the stock cooling fans.

To help solve the over heating issue I have just installed 2, 12v computer fans(80x80x25) over the motor and esc, and took the 2 little castle 2028 fans and installed them on the shock tower.

The 12v fans I wrapped around the esc leads that plug into the batteries. So once I plug in the batts the fans kick on.

My question is, do you think I will run into any problems with this set up? I looked around and couldn't find anyone that has a similar set up. I have not ran it yet and would like to hear some thoughts on this before I do.

I also just swapped the pinion from 21 to 24. So 24/46 will be what I'll run depending on how I like it.

Let's hear your thought!

Nitro You say that after installing the HR upgrades you are having heat issues. And by the looks of your rigged it very well could be you hit critical mass, between the Badlands and upgrades. Those shocks add a lot of weight also. All that being said we are in the middle of the summer and the air temperate has been pretty hot thru out the country. Why not just gear down for the summer and see how she holds up? Those are some pretty big *** fans and should be blowing enough air.....
    also what size batteries are you running? And have your run times decreased significantly since installing those batteries?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post
    Nitro You say that after installing the HR upgrades you are having heat issues. And by the looks of your rigged it very well could be you hit critical mass, between the Badlands and upgrades. Those shocks add a lot of weight also. All that being said we are in the middle of the summer and the air temperate has been pretty hot thru out the country. Why not just gear down for the summer and see how she holds up? Those are some pretty big *** fans and should be blowing enough air.....
    also what size batteries are you running? And have your run times decreased significantly since installing those batteries?
    Give this guy the medal. Either gear down or buy a new motor. My truck is a hair over 30lbs with batteries, but it has a 5898 leopard. Thrashed it a bit the other day, it was over 90 outside, motor made it to 115, it rarely gets that hot. Youíve got enough on your truck to get a new motor and mount.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post
    I got the hr suspension, and proline shocks for free from a buddy. I have NOT ran it since I put on the big *** fans.

I DID run it with one slightly smaller big *** fan connected to one batt, the other batt was free. After my run I compared the two batt cells and noticed no difference(maybe .01). Still good run time 25-30 mins

I was running power hobby 6500 100c at the time of test, my other set is lectron pro 5200 50c.

RC Enthusiast
    So went to the park today and had my german shepherds chasing the xmaxx for a good hr lol. I went through both sets of batts with a 5-10 interval in between sets.

I did not run into any heat issues. The temps today were also cooler 70-75 degrees out.

I did run my first set of batts too long and the cells were 3.68-3.71...whoops!

I also had a front right inter hub bearing seal come out. Was chillen on the axle shaft... this is the second time it has happened recently. Any ideas what could be causing this? Each time I throw the bearing out and replace with new one. They are RC screws bearings...

I like to bash, crazy jumps and I like speed. (lol) Guess I want best of both worlds.
    Assuming you have a stock motor, and assuming it's a 1400kv motor. You could go two ways. If you want to run 6s, I'd go with a Leopard 1340kv motor/Max6 or XLX-X/ gearing at 24/54 (top end 48mph) or gearing at 29/54 (top end 54mph). I have ran both of these gearing setups, and I can tell you that these two setups work very well. I do like the 24/54 a little bit better, though.

If you want to run 8s, I'd go with a Leopard 1200kv/Max5 with 28/46 gearing. This will give you better temps and stronger torque performance (with the same top end) as you have now. Also, with this setup you will have more gearing options before you start having temp issues again.

Looking at the math: 1200kv is 85% of a 1400kv motor. To get your top end back up (but with more torque performance) we have to also increase your gear ratio by 85%. Your old gear ratio (with your present 1400kv motor) is 5.5, so your new ratio for your new 1200kv motor needs to be 4.7 which will compensate you for the your new motor's 85% kv decrease.

The formula I used is the corrected equation at the bottom:

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-11-2019 at 04:48 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Give this guy the medal. Either gear down or buy a new motor. My truck is a hair over 30lbs with batteries, but it has a 5898 leopard. Thrashed it a bit the other day, it was over 90 outside, motor made it to 115, it rarely gets that hot. You’ve got enough on your truck to get a new motor and mount.

I got the hr suspension, and proline shocks for free from a buddy. I have NOT ran it since I put on the big *** fans.

I DID run it with one slightly smaller big *** fan connected to one batt, the other batt was free. After my run I compared the two batt cells and noticed no difference(maybe .01). Still good run time 25-30 mins

I was running power hobby 6500 100c at the time of test, my other set is lectron pro 5200 50c.

Those are some pretty good run times for a truck with all that added weight. I was looking at the Power Hobby Batteries. I hav ether for my 2.0 and they are holding up!
    I think as the weather cools you should be all right if not. Just gear down, why burn out the motor? Like your set-up, very cool!
    Enjoy! I love Power Hobby BTW, I live on Long Island and the LHS just to far away. I order from them and in two days I get my stuff from NJ! Their my go to On Line Hobby Store.

RC Qualifier
    RegularGuy, school teacher or engineer? Nice Proof!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Assuming you have a stock motor, and assuming it's a 1400kv motor. You could go two ways. If you want to run 6s, I'd go with a Leopard 1340kv motor/Max6 or XLX-X/ gearing at 24/54 (top end 48mph) or gearing at 29/54 (top end 54mph). I have ran both of these gearing setups, and I can tell you that these two setups work very well. I do like the 24/54 a little bit better, though.

If you want to run 8s, I'd go with a Leopard 1200kv/Max5 with 28/46 gearing. This will give you better temps and stronger torque performance (with the same top end) as you have now. Also, with this setup you will have more gearing options before you start having temp issues again.

Looking at the math: 1200kv is 85% of a 1400kv motor. To get your top end back up (but with more torque performance) we have to also increase your gear ratio by 85%. Your old gear ratio (with your present 1400kv motor) is 5.5, so your new ratio for your new 1200kv motor needs to be 4.7 which will compensate you for the your new motor's 85% kv decrease.

The formula I used is the corrected equation at the bottom:

Traxxas doesnít make a 1400kv motor. 6s version 1600, 8S 1200kv

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Traxxas doesn’t make a 1400kv motor. 6s version 1600, 8S 1200kv.
    Thank you, I wasn't sure that's why I had to say that I was assuming. The good new is that it still works out if he can get his paws on a 1000kv, because it would have the same percent and gear ratios with 1200kv to 1400kv as with 1000kv to 1200kv. The problem now, though, is does Leopard make a 1000kv. I believe they do, but I'll have to take a peek.

Yep, they make several that are in the area he wants to be, 950kv, 1000kv, 1050kv, 1100kv, and they're 4 pole and have the can size he would need. The 1000kv would be my first choice, and the 950kv would be my second. Thanks again for your help.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you, I wasn't sure that's why I had to say that I was assuming. The good new is that it still works out if he can get his paws on a 1000kv, because it would have the same percent and gear ratios with 1200kv to 1400kv as with 1000kv to 1200kv. The problem now, though, is does Leopard make a 1000kv. I believe they do, but I'll have to take a peek.

Yep, they make several that are in the area he wants to be, 950kv, 1000kv, 1050kv, 1100kv, and they're 4 pole and have the can size he would need. The 1000kv would be my first choice, and the 950kv would be my second. Thanks again for your help.
    You did all the work. Iím a fan of my 5898 1100kv. No heat, tons of power, geared 37/46

That sounds like a really good setup. I'll keep your setup in my secret RC book incase I ever want to go to 8s. Right now, I like being able to use my 6s batteries that I use for my other RC vehicles.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That sounds like a really good setup. I'll keep your setup in my secret RC book incase I ever want to go to 8s. Right now, I like being able to use my 6s batteries that I use for my other RC vehicles.
    I can understand, also the 1340 is right at home there.