Thread: 5460X Shocks?

RC Qualifier

5460X Shocks?

What are the benefits to the 5460X Teflon-Coated Bodies with Tin Shaft Shocks over the stock?
    Are the worth the cost?

Also do the same size rod ends fit both the stock shocks as well as the GTR?
    Last edited by IftiBashir; 08-09-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

RC Champion
    They have smoother operation over the life of the shock. You will also find that the teflon coated shock bodies preserve the shock oil better. The stock shock bodies on the 2.0 tend to turn the shock oil black very quick. Were the teflon ones keep it cleaner longer. Also there is a seller we all have been buying them from. He pulls them off brand new Revo 3.3 trucks and sells them as the 3.3 comes stock with them. They are a fraction of the price of buying new in package but are brand new. You will just want to change to your stock 2.0 rod ends. Place your 2.0 rod ends on the new shocks as the shock ends are a tad beefier then the ones on the 3.3 . Here is link to dude a lot of us have used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-5309-...ss!85635!US!-1
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

The TiNi coating on the shaft is a harder and slicker surface that helps prolong the life of the o-rings and aids in smoother operation. As a shock compresses, the piston/shaft tilts a bit and causes the piston to drag on the side of the shock body. The teflon coating helps cause less drag/wear on the shock piston when that happens.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Champion
    Much more of an eloquent explanation than mine...

100% correct.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys! Ordered!

Now for the springs - blue/silver seems a popular combo.....
    Last edited by IftiBashir; 08-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

On my 3.3 chassis nitro (OS 21TM) I run 60wt vdk #2 pistons and blue/silver.
    On my ERBEv2 I run 60wt vdk #2 pistons and RC Raven dual rate.
    P2 rockers/rods on both.

On my BB revo, I run vdk2 with purple in the rear/blue front and 70wt oil. It has a heavy rear with the extra engine/pipe/leaner mount weight back there. It goes through shock ends and rod ends fast though. I don't drive it much.

I run a bit stiffer on my nitro so it doesn't slap the ground as hard as that tends to bend the engine bay. I'd like to run softer springs like I do in the ERBEv2, but it will hit the ground too hard. The electric/plastic chassis seems to handle that better.

I tried running p3 rods on the nitro revo, and it seemed to work well with them in the furthest hole out on RPM arms. Having the longer rods put less angle on the pushrod pivot where it connects to the rocker. I was hoping it would help prolong the life of the rod ends. Today I snapped a shock shaft off. Could have been a fluke... I was airing it out pretty good at a bmx track. So I may stick with P3 rods and try again as it does seem to help the rod ends last longer. With p2 length rods (p1's with the collars), the pushrod is at more of an angle at full extension and tends to stretch the rod end out pretty quick, then they slip off the ball and bind/have excess slop. Not much of a benefit though if it snaps shock shafts. lol!
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 08-10-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!