RC poster

Help with figuring what version T-Maxx I have

Hi, new here so hopefully I'm doing this right .....I need some help figuring out version T-Maxx I have, my son got it from a yard sale and we dont much about it ...is it a 2.5 or 3.3 ...also i see different model numbers for these too so any help with that would be appreciated too .....Thanks in advance for any help!

Looks like a version 1 .15 pro t-maxx. It had shorter arms, side exhaust/rotary carb .15 pro engine on it. They changed the towers/arms with the 2.5 maxx came out, and the engine/pipe of course.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    Early version model 4910. Considered model 4910(1999). Pro .15 engine not the 2.5 or 3.3. It's pretty much the same as the current T-maxx Classic, minus some updated parts. Many parts interchange with each version that came out. Here's a link to a manual.tmaxx_pro15_OPER.pdf.

RC poster
    Thank you so much that is super helpful I really appreciate the help

RC poster
    So what would be best to start at? We currently have a traxxas Xmaxx and 2 redcat Everest 10 so we have a little knowledge about upgrading and tearing apart and replacing things, etc but this will be our first nitro truck ....guessing it prob needs to be completely redone with new parts .....what should be replaced if it was your truck?

Also has no controller ...we have a flysky fs-gt3b hooked to one of the Everest 10 can we use that to control the Tmaxx also?

Any tips or help to get us started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated ....Thank you

If it were me? Complete tear-down and rebuild including the engine. If you want to change to a 2.5 engine there is a conversion kit #4900 for it but you may want to consider changing the rest of the drive train as well as things will start breaking.

Download the exploded views and manual of the 4910 (T-Maxx with Pro.15, 1999) as well using the Support button above.

If you have an additional receiver then you can use it for the T-Maxx. Ch1 for steering, ch2 for throttle and any other open channel to plug in the receiver pack.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-12-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    If it were me? Complete tear-down and rebuild including the engine. If you want to change to a 2.5 engine there is a conversion kit #4900
    That's where I would start not knowing the history of it. You would be able to see what parts are worn and what needed to be replaced. Check and see if the engine is worn out. From there you can decide what you want to do as far as drive it without putting much money into it or upgrade some parts to get running and upgrade from there.

The route I would go:

1. Replace motor and fuel lines. If it's your first nitro engine this would be easier than rebuilding. Learning to tune an engine has a learning curve to it. Decide what engine you would want. (I would get either the 2.5r or 3.3 myself and the conversion kit. And get rid of the plastic pipe in the kit and get a metal one). You can also get a new Pro .15 and just drop it in place of the old one(cheaper route).

2. I would also get the slipper upgrade kit 5351X. It gets rid of the slipper clutch pegs.(It's a better setup).

3. Remove reverse.(This is more if a performance upgrade)Having reverse looks like a nice feature but once I started driving I found I don't use/need reverse. Getting rid of the reverse made the truck much more fun to drive.

4. Drive and have fun!

5. Upgrade as parts break. Use parts from the T-Maxx 3.3 as upgrades(most of these parts I would get from an rc chop shop). The first parts to break usually are the Diffs, axles, and drive shafts. I haven't had an original transmission break with a 3.3 engine. The only aluminum parts I would recommend to upgrade to when the stock plastic parts break are the plastic bulkheads.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-12-2019 at 05:08 PM.

RC poster
    You guys are awesome that is great info thank you very much.

So maybe best to start with a new .15pro engine and start to learn with that to keep costs down and stay away from replacing suspension and drivetrain parts until we bash it around and get use to it .....then when ready can go bigger and better

Is there any particular name brands of engines or certain model number for OEM engine? Going with the .15pro

RC poster
    Also if going with the pro .15 engine should I get replacement pipe too? If so any certain one to look for that would be better?

RC poster
    Do I need a short crank or long crank? Im guessing its short crank but want to be sure

Take a look at what is coming out of the engine. If I recall the short crank may be for the Traxxas engine to be installed in non-Traxxas applications.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Take a look at what is coming out of the engine. If I recall the short crank may be for the Traxxas engine to be installed in non-Traxxas applications.
    I thought it was the short version with an add on piece for the clutch? I didn't know you could use the longer crankshaft. Looking at the exploded view shows replacement as 4007. 4910_explodedviews_transmission-pro15.