Motor Heatsink and Fans Loose.

My X-Maxx threw the pinion gear during a pretty mild bashing session yesterday, and while repairing it, I noticed the heatsink and fan on the motor was loose.

It can be moved towards the front of the truck and then moves a little side to side. It seems like when it's all the way back, it's in some groove where it can't move side to side.

Is this normal? Is there a way to tighten it down in place? I can't really see how it's held in there without taking things apart, which I'd rather not do unless it's necessary.

Here's a video demonstrating it's movement forward and then side to side:

If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.

RC Qualifier
    Mine is super tight and you have to add some pressure to get it to move in any direction. Use a small flat head screw driver and carefully slide it between the heat sink and the motor and pop it off, it's just like it's compression fitted. Then squeeze it together between both hands to close the gap a little and pop it back on. I've watched guy's on you tube place it in it's location and slam it down to re-install, there is no attachments to hold it in place or secure it, it just pops on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Mine is super tight and you have to add some pressure to get it to move in any direction. Use a small flat head screw driver and carefully slide it between the heat sink and the motor and pop it off, it's just like it's compression fitted. Then squeeze it together between both hands to close the gap a little and pop it back on. I've watched guy's on you tube place it in it's location and slam it down to re-install, there is no attachments to hold it in place or secure it, it just pops on and off.
    Thanks for the info... Do you think it's a problem to leave it as is?

I mean, if it ain't broke...

RC Qualifier
    I don't beleive it's a problem to harm anything in particular but for the 2 seconds it takes to pop it off and squeeze it to fit tighter can only help to disapate heat, if it's loose is it working to it's potential, it is a heat sink designed for a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I don't beleive it's a problem to harm anything in particular but for the 2 seconds it takes to pop it off and squeeze it to fit tighter can only help to disapate heat, if it's loose is it working to it's potential, it is a heat sink designed for a purpose.
    good point

thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Mine is the same. I called Traxxas and they told me that the side to side motion is completely normal.

I bash mine hard and the only issue I've experienced is fan blade damage which I attributed to dirt/sand.