RC Racer

Testing motor/esc

I noticed my batteries weren't running my Slash very long and though they were just old (I only run 2s). They're 2.5 years or so and I'm bad about maintenance on them so it is definitely plausible.

This weekend I ran one and after about 10 mins the battery died so I bought it in checked temps and the motor was 160+, esc was much cooler - is there a way to test the esc to make sure it is putting out the right power? I then figured it wasn't the battery but the motor night be messed up especially since i noticed that two of the wires from the esc to motor had the colored heat shrink melted where the bullet connectors are. Decided I'd just swap motors to see. One of the connectors would not come apart so I headed home to work on it. The bullet connector ended up breaking on the esc side (haven't been able locate replacement female connectors yet) so I had to swap both motor and esc, no biggie. But my cousin looked at the motor and spun the gear and it just spun freely. I didn't spin and stop like when the magnets would jump to the next winding (I don't even know if I am explaining this correctly). So, long story to a quick question: Can a motor be rebuilt? If not, what would be a good replacement that will not break the bank and work with my esc? Lastly, if the Traxxas motor is the one to stick with, which 3351 would I choose (my speed control has Yellow, Blue, White on the bullet connectors without the capacators, I think it's the TRA3355X)?

Hope that wasn't too painful to read and thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Scott91370; 07-29-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    depends on the motor and how many poles it is, some are more free spinning than others

This weekend I ran one and after about 10 mins the battery died so I bought it in checked temps and the motor was 160+, esc was much cooler
    If your motor was 160 after ten minutes is it fare to say you've often run the motor higher then this?
    Neodymium magnets (the ones in your motor) will loose a small amount of their magnetism every time they reach temps over 176 F.

In short every time your motor over heats it looses a little more power.
    If the motor spins with a noticeably lesser resistance then when new this could be the issue.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

I'm with jimbo74 and billy-bones.

Does your cousin's rig run the newer 4-pole system? That would "feel" very notchy compared to your older 2-pole system.

Overheating is never a good thing regardless of which system you have.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    billy-bones - It is possible that it has been hotter but I never noticed it being that hot, I used to be able to touch it without issue. It does have a dual Integy fan on it and the gearing is 19/54 (set up just like my cousin's and his is much cooler). As far as it spinning with less resistance than when new, I honestly do not remember how it was.

Squeegie - Both setups have the same Yellow/Blue/White on the wire connectors and both of our speed controllers are the same (neither have the capacitors on the outside). From what I've read the 2 pole is smooth when hand spinning and the 4 pole is notchy feeling. So unless I really messed my motor up I would say it is a 2 pole, there is no resistance when I spin it.
    Looks like top pic in this thread, post 2, so must be 2 pole

So in theory I should be able to run a 2 or 4 pole motor. Would you guys recommend just getting another Velineon 3500?

Thanks for the help!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    billy-bones - It is possible that it has been hotter but I never noticed it being that hot, I used to be able to touch it without issue. It does have a dual Integy fan on it and the gearing is 19/54 (set up just like my cousin's and his is much cooler). As far as it spinning with less resistance than when new, I honestly do not remember how it was.

Squeegie - Both setups have the same Yellow/Blue/White on the wire connectors and both of our speed controllers are the same (neither have the capacitors on the outside). From what I've read the 2 pole is smooth when hand spinning and the 4 pole is notchy feeling. So unless I really messed my motor up I would say it is a 2 pole, there is no resistance when I spin it.
    Looks like top pic in this thread, post 2, so must be 2 pole

So in theory I should be able to run a 2 or 4 pole motor. Would you guys recommend just getting another Velineon 3500?

Thanks for the help!!
    While the 2 pole motor won't be as notchy as the 4 pole it should still have some resistance.
    As far as a replacement goes it's been a long time since I've replaced a motor; I never had an issue with a velineon but Castle was my go to setup.
    Perhaps Squeegie or another forum member would be better versed in the newer motors then I.
    That said Castle has always treated me well; Tekin is another name I've had great luck with, also good but expensive systems.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    I figured it would have some feel to it, mine is just...nothing. I'm not in a rush to get a motor since I have 3 trucks so I will just watch for one to be cheap enough to make me happy.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    I figured it would have some feel to it, mine is just...nothing. I'm not in a rush to get a motor since I have 3 trucks so I will just watch for one to be cheap enough to make me happy.
    Gool rc, hobbystar. Good quality cheap motors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I'll check them out. Thanks!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    During my disassembly and thorough cleaning of the Slash I pulled out the ESC and burned up motor. Come to find out they are the old 2 pole design. But it by spinning it I'm sure it is gone since there is no notchy-ness at all. Just free spinning.
    So I guess when it's time to replace it I will be upgrading both pieces.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd