RC Enthusiast

whare are you guys getting your cars from?

so my son really is obsessed with getting a different rc car for his birthday/Christmas present. I know you guys would know better than I on where your finding deals. the first 3 slashes we got were used, but I think we will go with new this time.

he loves the aarma outcast 6s. perhaps I cant even type that on here, but im wanting to know your guys experience with finding deals and what not.

thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie-slashdad View Post
    so my son really is obsessed with getting a different rc car for his birthday/Christmas present. I know you guys would know better than I on where your finding deals. the first 3 slashes we got were used, but I think we will go with new this time.

he loves the aarma outcast 6s. perhaps I cant even type that on here, but im wanting to know your guys experience with finding deals and what not.

thanks
    eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I just got a Slash 4x4 VXL from Amain for $209 but that was a listing mistake that they honored. They do have a scratch and dent deal from time to time on cars/trucks, mostly box damage. Craigslist and Facebooks Marketplace are also good to find used if interested.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

The Hobby shop in Dayton OH.

Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

Just my two cents:

I always try to buy locally and support the LHS.

Then when you have any issues they are the first place to go.
    I miss seeing great hobby stores so when you have one, try and support it.
    That's one thing I love about Traxxas, they do their best to keep the prices level across all platforms.

What good is saving a few bucks if it means sacrificing the local supply and help?

I've had three warranty issues already and all three were taken care of by the LHS immediately and without question. No RMA numbers, endless phone calls or shipping and wait times...immediate, out the door in minutes.

...Something to consider!

As a new regular customer, they have also treated me very well and given me price breaks without me asking.

If you have a Hobby town nearby sign up for their club or whatever they call it and get $5.00 coupons for every so many dollars spent that can be used on later purchases.
    When I bought my friend a Rustler setup, I used 17 of those coupons and got $85 off the purchase. That was on top of the clerk giving me a price break for having picked up my Rustler from him a few days before.

Bottom dollar is that in the long run, I've saved more by supporting my LHS than saving a few bucks online. I also feel pretty good knowing I have a place to go to for service, advice, browsing and even getting to put my hands on the actual vehicles before buying...in some cases even getting to test drive them. On-line can't deliver that kind of service or experience.

Traxxas products are rarely discounted anything noteworthy anywhere. Honestly if you are buying new I would just buy it at your local hobby store like USMC said. If you don't have a local hobby store buy from what ever authorized retailer you buy your parts from. In order to utilize the warranty you need proof of purchase from an authorized retailer. You can find brand new ones from private sellers for a decent discount, but not enough to overcome not having a warranty. Unfortunately I have utilized the warranty on every new traxxas vehicle I have ever bought. Last year on my erevo 2.0 I warrantied 2 steering servos, and an ESC and motor. This year on my Xmaxx I warrantied a steering servo and 2 tires. There is almost 400$ right there I would of had to come up with out of pocket if it hadn't been for the warranty. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I agree, unfortunately in my case my closest hobby shop is about $14 dollars in gas away so I end up using online retailers such as Amain for getting parts for multiple brands of cars/trucks i have. Personally out of about 35 r/c cars/trucks i have i only purchased 3 of them new from Tower Hobbies and Amain.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks guys, that Is great views to consider. I do like supporting brick and mortar stores as much as I can, but we live about 45 min away from the closest places, and for nickel and dime buys that is a killer to drive for a $10 part that can be here in 2 days form amazon. but a big ticket purchase It would be worth the drive.

what has bothered me with mostly automotive issues and some time hobby store issues if we are around one is they don't have the part, will have to order it, and charge me more when I can save myself a trip to find they don't have what I want, and another trip to pick up something when they do order it, and it costs much more to boot!

which im guessing I would have some leg work to do with warrantee with a new car if I had an issue, but like stated above it is a touch more $ than a nickel and dime proposition, and a actual place and people to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I agree, unfortunately in my case my closest hobby shop is about $14 dollars in gas away so I end up using online retailers such as Amain for getting parts for multiple brands of cars/trucks i have. Personally out of about 35 r/c cars/trucks i have i only purchased 3 of them new from Tower Hobbies and Amain.

Eh, one of mine is about $12 round trip, but I love driving my car so...I don't care, It's still worth the service they provide. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by rookie-slashdad View Post
    what has bothered me with mostly automotive issues and some time hobby store issues if we are around one is they don't have the part, will have to order it, and charge me more when I can save myself a trip to find they don't have what I want, and another trip to pick up something when they do order it, and it costs much more to boot!
    My experience with the LHS/Traxxas is that they are well stocked on essenial parts...not so much on optional stuff sometimes though. Servos and essential parts that commonly break seem to be readily available.

FWIW, I have three stores in range...one is about 5 miles, one 25 miles and one 35 miles away in the opposite direction from the 25 mile away shop...then there are many in Denver which is around 60 miles away.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-10-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post

I'm kind of in the same boat. I also run multiple brands, my local guy pretty much carrys traxxas and that's it. So I too have to order alot of stuff online. Anything traxxas though I get from him. My wife works like walking distance from his shop so I call him and she goes and picks it up on her lunch break. Great guy, more than happy to support him. Amain literally carrys everything. I order from them atleast twice a month.

First place to ALREADY go is your local hobby shop (LHS). Hobby shops are a don't breed, and part of it is because so many people are shipping on Amazon, eBay, etc. Without the support of local customers, local honey shops could become a thing of the past. Additionally, a lot of LHSs exist to support the local track...if the shop closes, so does the track.

If your LHS doesn't carry something, and can't order it for you...especially if they can't get it within a certain time frame, such as if your motor does, and you need a replacement asap...then I HIGHLY recommend AMain Hobbies. They are very knowledgeable, have excellent customer service/support, and shipping times are super-fast (I typically receive orders in 1-2 days).
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Support your LHS if you have one, they are a dying breed just like everything else that has been affected by the internet and conglomerates.

Every new car I've ever purchased came from my hobby shop. I'm lucky though, it's about ten minutes from home. A simple phone call can insure a trip isn't wasted for nothing, local hobby shops are a dying breed. Very soon there won't be many left! Ive gone to my lhs so often over the past five years, I actually developed a friendship with the manager and employees. We go crawling and bashing on occasion. Nine times out of ten, a hobby shop will price match if it means getting the sale and a returning customer. Add to that the support and I think it's a no brainier, LHS for the win!

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

My new cars came from my LHS. My used cars came from eBay.
    Misc parts I can find in stock come from my LHS. When not in stock, I try to order direct from the manufacturer (or authorized dealer). If I canít get it there, then Iíll order from wherever on-line.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    The problem folks is its a race to the bottom.We all want the lowest price and you ultimately sacrifice so much.
    1 LHS, 3 USED Craigslist/FB. Parts LHS 1st
    I'm fearful LHS,are going to go the way of REAL Autoparts or hardware stores, with Pro-grade supplies at your finger tips. Its all bottom dollar garbage now.

RC Racer
    My LHS is also a hardware store, and tends to have better than online prices. They also support local Scouting, which is an additional incentive. So far, they haven't led me wrong.

I am the odd one out of the group I guess. I never goto my LHS for a new rig because they are often sold at cost or at the very least near it and if they are on sale it is at a loss. I buy the highly overpriced random parts I need and want now. Because parts are where they make the most profit. I also live near 3 LHS all within 10 miles.

I have bought most of my rigs used since I tend to replace most of the electrical parts. The new rigs come from one of afew websites - Amain, Tower, RCPlanet, or Amazon.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I am the odd one out of the group I guess. I never goto my LHS for a new rig because they are often sold at cost or at the very least near it and if they are on sale it is at a loss. I buy the highly overpriced random parts I need and want now. Because parts are where they make the most profit. I also live near 3 LHS all within 10 miles.

I have bought most of my rigs used since I tend to replace most of the electrical parts. The new rigs come from one of afew websites - Amain, Tower, RCPlanet, or Amazon.
    I live right by 3 hobby towns. None of them are very helpful or supportive and they definitely would not price match. I bought a Savox 1210 directly from savox for $65. My local hobby shops are selling it for over $125. Most of the workers there have no knowledge of rc cars what so ever. I couldnít even get them to help me program my castle motor. On top of that the supply they have is almost fully stock. They donít carry many aftermarket parts. They have a decent selection of universal proline tires and a few bodies but thatís about all. Ruined my LHS for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    I live right by 3 hobby towns. None of them are very helpful or supportive and they definitely would not price match. I bought a Savox 1210 directly from savox for $65. My local hobby shops are selling it for over $125. Most of the workers there have no knowledge of rc cars what so ever. I couldn’t even get them to help me program my castle motor. On top of that the supply they have is almost fully stock. They don’t carry many aftermarket parts. They have a decent selection of universal proline tires and a few bodies but that’s about all. Ruined my LHS for sure.
    Wow! That's unfortunate...all the HobbyTowns around me are very friendly, helpful and have decent prices.

I live right by 3 hobby towns. None of them are very helpful or supportive...Most of the workers there have no knowledge of rc cars what so ever...They donít carry many aftermarket parts. They have a decent selection of universal proline tires and a few bodies but thatís about all. Ruined my LHS for sure.
    I know, and understand, what you mean. We have one here in the SF Bay Area, and they focus primarily on RC planes, plus a reasonable selection of plastic model kits, with little-to-no-knowledge where ground-based RC is concerned. I was at another Hobby Town elsewhere in NorCal, and that location was heavy into RC boats & puzzles...and, then, I was at another, which primarily focused on plastic model kits & model railroading.

Thanks to my visits to different locations, and talking with a few people, I now have a better understanding of "why". Hobby Town is a franchise, plus there's no 'corporate control' over what they must carry in-store. Each owner can, to a large degree, carry what they want, and, in many cases, the owner's tend to focus on what they, and their management team, is "into". Additionally, they'll call what's popular in the area, but doesn't have a high concentration in other local stores. Think about it from the owner's perspective - they want to carry what they know (or hope they know) will sell, but, at the same time, they prefer to not carry what could be "highly competitive" products that other local shops are carrying.

Researching them not helping to get your motor set, it might have been less of them "not being interested", and more of "they had too little knowledge". I've learned quite a bit where ground vehicles are concerned, and I have pretty good knowledge where drone's are concerned, but if you asked me questions related to RC aircraft, or watercraft, I wouldn't help you...not because I wouldn't want to, but because I don't have the knowledge to help (ok...not entirely true, as I do have some RC helicopter experience).

Even though you might not have a LHS with people experienced in your area of RC interest, there's always another, even if they're 100 miles away...you can always call them. AMain's customer support is always helpful, as is Hobbywing's tech support. The same can be said about Pro-Line, AKA, & JConcepts. Tekin has good support...when they actually answer the phone. The point is, if the people at your local Hobby Town can't/won't help you, there are PLENTY of other resources to reach out to...two of which are the Traxxas forums, and the RC Tech forums.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I know, and understand, what you mean. We have one here in the SF Bay Area, and they focus primarily on RC planes, plus a reasonable selection of plastic model kits, with little-to-no-knowledge where ground-based RC is concerned. I was at another Hobby Town elsewhere in NorCal, and that location was heavy into RC boats & puzzles...and, then, I was at another, which primarily focused on plastic model kits & model railroading.

Thanks to my visits to different locations, and talking with a few people, I now have a better understanding of "why". Hobby Town is a franchise, plus there's no 'corporate control' over what they must carry in-store. Each owner can, to a large degree, carry what they want, and, in many cases, the owner's tend to focus on what they, and their management team, is "into". Additionally, they'll call what's popular in the area, but doesn't have a high concentration in other local stores. Think about it from the owner's perspective - they want to carry what they know (or hope they know) will sell, but, at the same time, they prefer to not carry what could be "highly competitive" products that other local shops are carrying.

Researching them not helping to get your motor set, it might have been less of them "not being interested", and more of "they had too little knowledge". I've learned quite a bit where ground vehicles are concerned, and I have pretty good knowledge where drone's are concerned, but if you asked me questions related to RC aircraft, or watercraft, I wouldn't help you...not because I wouldn't want to, but because I don't have the knowledge to help (ok...not entirely true, as I do have some RC helicopter experience).

Even though you might not have a LHS with people experienced in your area of RC interest, there's always another, even if they're 100 miles away...you can always call them. AMain's customer support is always helpful, as is Hobbywing's tech support. The same can be said about Pro-Line, AKA, & JConcepts. Tekin has good support...when they actually answer the phone. The point is, if the people at your local Hobby Town can't/won't help you, there are PLENTY of other resources to reach out to...two of which are the Traxxas forums, and the RC Tech forums.
    My hobby town has a selection of all of that. I mean Iíve met guys there who didnít know what bellcranks were. Itís all unfortunate. Iíve never thought about warranty though. Thatís an interesting concept that really could save a lot of money.

My hobby town has a selection of all of that. I mean Iíve met guys there who didnít know what bellcranks were. Itís all unfortunate. Iíve never thought about warranty though. Thatís an interesting concept that really could save a lot of money.

The warranty stuff, plus, if you're like me and constantly buying stuff, they start giving you price breaks and better service. Then there's the whole hobby store experience....I love a good hobbystore, even if I don't need anything. I hate seeing them disappear.

Online, you're mostly an anonymous number.

Online has it's place though...I'm an Amazon junky! I do try to buy locally though if:

The price isn't much more.
    The help actually helps.
    If they stock what I need.

When ANY store tells me they can "get it in" or "order it"...I tell them I can do the same!