RC poster

Question I知 new and need help

I just bought a Teton, which is also my first R/C car so I have no idea what I知 doing. The first thing I壇 like to improve is battery life. Can someone please help me with suggestions? Should I buy a couple of extra batteries and a faster charger, or is upgrading to a better battery the better way to go about this.

I知 not sure if you can just put better batteries in the car or not. I don稚 know anything about this hobby as it痴 brsnd new to me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thx a lot!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowe1982 View Post
    I just bought a Teton, which is also my first R/C car so I have no idea what I知 doing. The first thing I壇 like to improve is battery life. Can someone please help me with suggestions? Should I buy a couple of extra batteries and a faster charger, or is upgrading to a better battery the better way to go about this.

I知 not sure if you can just put better batteries in the car or not. I don稚 know anything about this hobby as it痴 brsnd new to me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thx a lot!
    Higher Mah on the battery will give you longer life, however your batteries are dictated by the size that will fit. Just pay attention to the size before buying. Of course buying a better charger is a good idea. Multiple batteries on a vehicle that size is a good idea.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Higher Mah on the battery will give you longer life, however your batteries are dictated by the size that will fit. Just pay attention to the size before buying. Of course buying a better charger is a good idea. Multiple batteries on a vehicle that size is a good idea.

Thx a lot for the help!

Traxxas only has two batteries for the Teton:

https://latrax.com/products/teton?t=batteries

Being a newbie, I would not suggest messing with other brands until you understand about soldering and changing connectors etc.

When you feel up to it, many here can guide you through that.

Enjoy your Teton and when you're ready, there are many cars in the Traxxas line up that can fulfil whatever direction you want to go.

RC poster
    Ok. Thx for the help. May just buy extra batteries and a better charger. Sucks waiting 3-4 hours to charge to run for 15 minutes.

Ok. Thx for the help. May just buy extra batteries and a better charger. Sucks waiting 3-4 hours to charge to run for 15 minutes.
    Are you running the MiMH or LiPo battery?
    Get a LiPo if you can and make sure to switch the Car over to LVD (Low Voltage Detection) mode. Follow the instructions on pg 15 of your user manual.

RC poster
    Running the MiMH battery that came with it and using the charger that came with it. I just bought the truck yesterday. I love it and want to make some upgrades and play with it for a while before upgrading to a better one. I’ve only been able to run it twice because it takes so long to charge the battery so that’s what I want to upgrade first.

If you're already thinking about upgrading to another vehicle, I'd invest in a good charger that will handle LiPos.

My mistake...I just took another look and see that the Teton ONLY takes MiMH batteries...one at that.

Depending on what car you think you might get later, you may want to get the dual charger...some of the cars require two of the same battery. It would be best if you could charge them at the same time, in that case.

The dual charger will cost almost as much as the Teton did though.

Others here could guide you on putting 3rd party batteries in the Teton if you wish...they say that's a less expensive route to take.

Personally, I'm sticking with Traxxas Batteries to lessen the chance of a problem and Traxxas blaming something that isn't theirs.

Another of my two cents with the Teton is that if I were you, I wouldn't sink a lot of money into upgrades on it. You'll never see that money back if you decide to sell it.
    Now, if when upgrading cars you plan to keep the Teton, then by all means mod that thing out!

When you are ready to upgrade cars, I highly recommend the 4x4 Rustler VXL!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Look at Hitec chargers. You値l be down to a 30 minute charge with those smaller batteries.

I just bought the truck yesterday. I love it and want to make some upgrades and play with it for a while before upgrading to a better one.
    Mind if I ask why you chose the Teton over something like a 1/16th Summit? There's not much of a price difference.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Mind if I ask why you chose the Teton over something like a 1/16th Summit? There's not much of a price difference.
    Keep in mind these are toys for all age groups. The difference between 100 bucks and 250 for a younger person is quite large.

RC poster
    I read a lot of reviews and watched videos. The larger truck that I found was a 1/12 or 1/16 (I can稚 remenver the name), but it was a lot slower and 2 wheel drive. It was about $20 more than the Teton and the Teton looked like slit more fun to me. I wanted to stay in the $150 price range with my first one so I decided on the Teton.

RC poster
    Look at Hitec chargers. You’ll be down to a 30 minute charge with those smaller batteries.

Thx bud. I’m going to the hobby shop today to get s charger. I’ll ask about this particular one. Your help is appreciated!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thx bud. I知 going to the hobby shop today to get s charger. I値l ask about this particular one. Your help is appreciated!
    I壇 say a hitec X1 would do nicely for your application. If you think you池e gonna be in the hobby for a while, look at dual channe chargers with higher amp ratings.

Keep in mind these are toys for all age groups. The difference between 100 bucks and 250 for a younger person is quite large.

Yes, I understand the targeted range differences. I'm not putting down the decision...just wondering what the reasoning was.
    The OP is 37, not 12... the price difference between a 1/18th Teton and a 1/16 E-Revo (Brushed) is around $50 and the 1/16th Summit would be about $150.

A few years back, that would have been a lot of money for me too...then again, it was enough to prevent any purchase. I remember when I saw Traxxas an NHRA event I got free tickets to. I was really impressed and wanted one then...but was in no shape to buy anything unnecessay.

I have no experience with the Teton but I would think the 1/16th E-Revo would be faster and has more upgrade options.
    I'm not saying it was a bad decision or anything and even though I have some real performers, I'm still not sure I won't pick up a LaTrax or Mini-Z vehicle at some point. Or any of the other micro scale vehicles that are out there. I'm particularly intrigued by the 1/24th scale stuff.

I was just curious about that decision since they mentioned upgrading already. No offense intended.

RC poster
    Yes, I understand the targeted range differences. I'm not putting down the decision...just wondering what the reasoning was.
    The OP is 37, not 12... the price difference between a 1/18th Teton and a 1/16 E-Revo (Brushed) is around $50 and the 1/16th Summit would be about $150.

A few years back, that would have been a lot of money for me too...then again, it was enough to prevent any purchase. I remember when I saw Traxxas an NHRA event I got free tickets to. I was really impressed and wanted one then...but was in no shape to buy anything unnecessay.

I have no experience with the Teton but I would think the 1/16th E-Revo would be faster and has more upgrade options.
    I'm not saying it was a bad decision or anything and even though I have some real performers, I'm still not sure I won't pick up a LaTrax or Mini-Z vehicle at some point. Or any of the other micro scale vehicles that are out there. I'm particularly intrigued by the 1/24th scale stuff.

I was just curious about that decision since they mentioned upgrading already. No offense intended.
    No offense taken at all. I made the decision pretty quickly. I’ll keep the Teton for a year or so before going better. By that time I’ll know more about what I’m doing and the different options. I have a pregnant wife that isn’t thrilled about my hobbies. Lol. I buy/sell/collect spirts memorabilia as well, which isn’t a cheap hobby, but that’s how I funded this purchase without hearing any feedback from the wife.

No offense taken at all. I made the decision pretty quickly. I’ll keep the Teton for a year or so before going better. By that time I’ll know more about what I’m doing and the different options. I have a pregnant wife that isn’t thrilled about my hobbies. Lol. I buy/sell/collect spirts memorabilia as well, which isn’t a cheap hobby, but that’s how I funded this purchase without hearing any feedback from the wife.
    That's makes perfect sense!
    It's true, and a good way to determine exactly what you want down the road.

Maybe try and get the misses involved somehow?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

You paid more attention to his age, I did not. Good call. I almost bought a Teton as well. But by the time I figured out I壇 upgrade everything, I decided against it.

RC poster
    My wife and I both work pretty good jobs, but cost is definitely something I have to pay attention to when buying stuff like this. We have our first baby on the way so can’t spend as frivolously as we once could. I’ll be in the hobby for a long time so I’m sure I’ll slowly move on to better machines. Starting small to learn how to control and do small repairs and upgrades, but I’d eventually like to be able to build a beast!

My wife and I both work pretty good jobs, but cost is definitely something I have to pay attention to when buying stuff like this. We have our first baby on the way so can’t spend as frivolously as we once could. I’ll be in the hobby for a long time so I’m sure I’ll slowly move on to better machines. Starting small to learn how to control and do small repairs and upgrades, but I’d eventually like to be able to build a beast!
    You're doing it right then! Have fun and keep us in the loop!

RC poster
    I talked to the guy at the hobby shop. I’m going to pick up a hitec X1 charger and a venom battery. Should help a good bit.

RC poster
    Also, he said that you can run a lipo battery in the Teton...

Also, he said that you can run a lipo battery in the Teton...
    I was wondering about that. I saw in the LaTrax forums that people were running them but did not know if they had to upgrade anything to do that.

I only went by what was available according to Traxxas. I'm sure that there is a lot we CAN do, but Traxxas wishes we didn't or that would make warranty stuff sketchy.

RC poster
    I got the venom 2 cell 7.4 volt lipo and the Hitec RDX1 charger. About 45 minutes charge time on the balanced setting. Haven’t ran it yet but it will fit flat just as the stick battery does. Should add some power and run time. He said no fan would be needed but if I happen to burn up the motor they’re dirt cheap to replace. The battery also came with a Traxxas adapter so it plugs into the truck without having to buy anything extra.

RC poster
    Just put a brushless motor on it! ��

Just put a brushless motor on it! ��
    How's it running?

With the NiMH would you say it could be an indoor car?

RC poster
    How's it running?

With the NiMH would you say it could be an indoor car?
    It’s quick for sure. Will flip over if you nail the throttle. You’d have to have pretty good space to play with it indoors with the nimh.

I burned the brushed motor up the 2nd time I ran it with the LiPO. I guess that’s why Traxxas doesn’t have a lipo option for it.

It痴 quick for sure. Will flip over if you nail the throttle. You壇 have to have pretty good space to play with it indoors with the nimh.
    Okay then...off the list...for now!

I burned the brushed motor up the 2nd time I ran it with the LiPO. I guess that痴 why Traxxas doesn稚 have a lipo option for it.
    LOL, I was kinda wondering!
    You officially Tim Taylored it!

RC poster
    it's not about the battery, it's about the charger

get yourself a traxxas charger model 2970 and you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by pesaccy View Post
    it's not about the battery, it's about the charger

get yourself a traxxas charger model 2970 and you'll be fine
    REALLY? Please explain...

RC poster
    REALLY? Please explain...
    I had the same problem and that痴 what people told me.
    I couldn稚 run the car for more than 3 mins with the charger that was in the box. With the one I mentioned (or any other proper charger I guess, that one is the cheapest) I get tired before the battery dies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pesaccy View Post
    I had the same problem and that’s what people told me.
    I couldn’t run the car for more than 3 mins with the charger that was in the box. With the one I mentioned (or any other proper charger I guess, that one is the cheapest) I get tired before the battery dies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think you read through the entire thread...