RC poster

Self righting feature not working

I recently traded for a Traxxas Rustler 4x4 and have been messing around with. Looking online I've seen that there is supposed to be a self righting feature on this thing, but I haven't been able to get it to work on mine. I hold the button down for 4+ seconds and nothing happens. I've looked online and seen suggestions about updating things through the Bluetooth connection, but mine doesn't have that. Any suggestions, other than to not use the feature. I mainly just want to see it work and maybe use it sometimes when it's turtled a long way away. (as you might be able tell by the pic, it spends a good bit of time on its back. )

Thanks in advance

As I understand it, the self-rightening function is only on the Rustler 4x4 VXL, whereas you appear to have the non-VXL version. Besides, whether it's a VXL-only function, or on birth Rusty 4x4s, you really DON'T want to use it...while it's a "nice" feature, it can do more damage than good. It's just better to walk to the vehicle, manually flip it right-side-up, and then go about your business.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Even on the VXL the self-righting feature only works with 3s batteries. The 2s don't have enough oomph.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Even on the VXL the self-righting feature only works with 3s batteries. The 2s don't have enough oomph.
    True enough. But I still stand by my statement of avoiding using the self-rightening function. Use it enough, and it will cause damage to your vehicle. It could be the driveshafts, or the diff gears (or entire diff), or the slipper, or the center driveshaft, or the pinion & spur gears, or the motor, or the ESC...or any combination of these.

The way it works is it runs your motor, and this everything down the line to your wheels, at close to full-throttle, reversing direction every second (or less). Sooner, or later, it will burn out your motor and/or ESC, not to mention breaking any of the previously-mentioned parts.

Truthfully, the self rightening function is one of the reasons I decided to purchase the Rusty 4x4, over the Slash 4x4...but, after having a few people warm me against using it, AND explaining to me the reason WHY, I never used it again.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    THe rustler in the photo looks a bit tinkered with, the front camberlink looks adjustable, but has a brushed body, and the body sits kind of funky, plus the shocks look after market. Without seeing the actual chassis pan itís hard to say what you got. The radio does look like a TQi model.

If I recall correctly even if you have a vxl model with the 6533 receiver, the receiver needs to be loaded with the right model profile to be able to use the self righting feature, so if the previous owner got a 6533 receiver from say a slash 4x4 or rustler 2wd vxl, it wonít be able to self right off the bat.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    THe rustler in the photo looks a bit tinkered with, the front camberlink looks adjustable, but has a brushed body, and the body sits kind of funky, plus the shocks look after market. Without seeing the actual chassis pan itís hard to say what you got. The radio does look like a TQi model.

If I recall correctly even if you have a vxl model with the 6533 receiver, the receiver needs to be loaded with the right model profile to be able to use the self righting feature, so if the previous owner got a 6533 receiver from say a slash 4x4 or rustler 2wd vxl, it wonít be able to self right off the bat.
    The reason the body was sitting funky is because I just plopped it on top for the pic.

Just for identification sake I'm including the pic of the inside.

Like I said, I'm not overly concerned with being able to use the function, I just wondered why it wasn't working.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by beardking View Post
    The reason the body was sitting funky is because I just plopped it on top for the pic.

Just for identification sake I'm including the pic of the inside.

Like I said, I'm not overly concerned with being able to use the function, I just wondered why it wasn't working.
    And now for that picture I mentioned.

RC Qualifier
    The battery plug from the ESC is the previous gen ID plug and the Rustler 4x4 was introduced last year so the esc is not stock. My suspicion is the previous owner bought a roller and put in the electronics and shocks, body,etc he had sitting around or specifically wanted, so the Receiver is most likely from another Traxxas model that didnít have self righting as intended feature.

RC Qualifier
    Pop the top off of the reciver box and check which rx you have if it's the 6533 and you don't have the blue tooth module you should be able to take it in to your lhs and see if they can do an update. If you purchased the bt module you can set the vehicle in the app on your phone then this should allow it to work in theory but I might be wrong. I have personally shredded 2 ring gears on my Emaxx self-righting and the other 3 trucks all have it but we choose not to use it because of the damage that can happen, it's a 50/50 gamble. Sounds like your determined to try the self-righting (like many of us) so I say go for it set it up to function and get it out of your system. Pay to play it is pretty cool when things don't go wrong lol.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    The battery plug from the ESC is the previous gen ID plug and the Rustler 4x4 was introduced last year so the esc is not stock. My suspicion is the previous owner bought a roller and put in the electronics and shocks, body,etc he had sitting around or specifically wanted, so the Receiver is most likely from another Traxxas model that didn’t have self righting as intended feature.
    The plug on the ESC is a previous gen because the previous owner had converted to Deans plugs and I didn't want to do that, so I switched it back to the Traxxas plug. I BELIEVE that it was a mostly stock car when we traded. Mostly. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Pop the top off of the reciver box and check which rx you have if it's the 6533 and you don't have the blue tooth module you should be able to take it in to your lhs and see if they can do an update. If you purchased the bt module you can set the vehicle in the app on your phone then this should allow it to work in theory but I might be wrong. I have personally shredded 2 ring gears on my Emaxx self-righting and the other 3 trucks all have it but we choose not to use it because of the damage that can happen, it's a 50/50 gamble. Sounds like your determined to try the self-righting (like many of us) so I say go for it set it up to function and get it out of your system. Pay to play it is pretty cool when things don't go wrong lol.
    If it's going to cost me money to be able to use the feature and it will likely cause damage, I'll likely just ignore the feature. I cause enough damage without having to pay extra. :-)