RC poster

Question Rustler 4x4 VXL , 3s upgrades?

Hello. I would like to ask what are some must have upgrades on Rustler 4x4 VXL, when running traxxas's "5000mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery" #2832X. I would be running the rustler on grass, dirt pavement on Stock Gearing. I have decided to order some upgrades: VXL ESC 3s Fan , heatsink wo/fan, aluminium bearing adapter and some aluminium shocks (hobbypark). I saw some posts about driveshafts upgrades.
    Are new driveshafts neccesary since its advertised as it can run 40mph+ out of box at 3s?
    What other upgrades do you recommend?

RC Racer
    I've only run the 3s in mine for a short time and didn't break anything. The Rusty is my workhorse! I mostly run 2s in it, it's still pretty fast and fun! Plus, with 2s batteries, it's pretty much indescructable.

RC Racer
    The Rustl4r vxl in stock form is a very capable car and should be fine for most ordinary bashing. Get a temperature device to make sure you donít run the motor too hot, a few different size pinions maybe to experiment with gearing. Everyone drive differently, so might as well run it to see what breaks before throwing money at an almost 400 dollar car

As far as the 2832x battery, I assume you have the optional battery hold down bar for up to 30mm tall battery? The stock one is for around25mm high and the included extra one is for 40mm tall batteries, the 2932x is about 28.5 mm tall. Good battery though, I use mine a lot and it delivers good power in mine.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    The Rustl4r vxl in stock form is a very capable car and should be fine for most ordinary bashing. Get a temperature device to make sure you donít run the motor too hot, a few different size pinions maybe to experiment with gearing. Everyone drive differently, so might as well run it to see what breaks before throwing money at an almost 400 dollar car

Okay , i will order some kind of IR tempature gun. Will be useful in the future and it doesn't costs that much.
    As far as the 2832x battery, I assume you have the optional battery hold down bar for up to 30mm tall battery? The stock one is for around25mm high and the included extra one is for 40mm tall batteries, the 2932x is about 28.5 mm tall. Good battery though, I use mine a lot and it delivers good power in mine.
    Yes. I am going to order the additional battery holdown.

Thanks for answers!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin421 View Post
    Yes. I am going to order the additional battery holdown.

Thanks for answers!
    Are you aware that the stock battery bar is reversible?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Are you aware that the stock battery bar is reversible?
    Maybe you are thinking of another model? The Rustler 4x4 stock hold down has a deep dip in the middle, Iím not sure what reversing it does. He needs part number 6725 for 30mm and lower height batteries.

RC Racer
    Maybe you are thinking of another model? The Rustler 4x4 stock hold down has a deep dip in the middle, I’m not sure what reversing it does. He needs part number 6725 for 30mm and lower height batteries.
    All you have to do is lift it straight up, rotate it 180 and lay it back down so that it bows upward...to fit the 2832s.

RC Racer
    All you have to do is lift it straight up, rotate it 180 and lay it back down so that it bows upward...to fit the 2832s.
    You would still need to deal with the large amount of empty vertical space between the hold down and the battery, no? You can make anything fit with strips of foam padding, I suppose.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 08-14-2019 at 06:55 AM.

RC Racer
    You would still need to deal with the large amount of empty vertical space between the hold down and the battery, no? You can make anything fit with strips of foam padding, I suppose.
    I've only put 2832s in it that way and it was pretty snug.

Bowed down, it holds the2843s pretty well as well, no extra anything for either battery.

RC Racer
    I've only put 2832s in it that way and it was pretty snug.

Bowed down, it holds the2843s pretty well as well, no extra anything for either battery.
    Thatís very interesting, I didnít know that. Would you mind posting a picture how yours look with the 2832x?

Thanks

RC Racer
    I was remembering wrong...I didn't have to turn the hold down around. Both batteries fit with the holder bowed down.