RC Champion

If i switch to a Castle ESC......

If I switch to a Castle ESC, what will I need to still be able to get battery voltage, ESC temp and amperage readings in the Traxxas App?

More over...what is lost in the app when you switch to a Castle setup? Looking for info from those that have done the switch and still run the app.

Thanks!
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Qualifier
    Everything is the exact same as the Traxxas esc's and motors you lose nothing and you need the exact same part #'s as far as sensors go. I have the MM2 and the CC 2200kv all compatible and I even have a sky rc esc and motor in my Stampede now with the same results. I hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    RD beat me too it!

All the relevant tech is in the Rx along with TSM so the sensor side it all fine.

The part I can’t remember is did the Traxxas app have control over power, brake % etc? I’m so used to the Castle app now?

RC Champion
    Thank you both for the response. I had heard it was in the receiver. I just want to confirm one thing, do I need to buy any sensors for the Castle ESC to obtain the data? The only "sensor" i bought and am using now is the motor temp sensor as everything else was built in. Just want to make sure if I go this route I have everything to watch and monitor. Thx!
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

This is not entirely accurate.

The VXL-6s ESC in the current production E-Revo VXL Brushless has built in telemetry that provides battery voltage, ESC temp and motor RPM, which provides a calculated speed. If you were to move away from the VXL-6s ESC you would lose those built-in telemetry readings and need to install the optional sensors / expander / GPS to restore the telemetry readings.
    Last edited by TireSlinger; 08-14-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Qualifier
    Tireslinger beat me to it lol thanks

So I'm assuming you have part #6523 (short) or 6521 (long) that does voltage and temp. So if you wanted speed and rpm's with the Castle esc then you would need the telemetry expander with the gps. The Traxxas esc has an algorithm that calculates speed and rpm so without the stock you need the expander with gps. Part # 6553x and 6551x, I hope this helps.

RC Champion
    Thanka fellas! Rain Dawg you are correct. I have all the "stock" sensors and added the 6521 for my motor. Not worried about speed as I run GRPs and there isn't really a size in the app that is the exact same so my speeds are off. Just really need esc temp as i like to monitor that for sure...also like watching motor temp and amperage draw.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    This is not entirely accurate.

The VXL-6s ESC in the current production E-Revo VXL Brushless has built in telemetry that provides battery voltage, ESC temp and motor RPM, which provides a calculated speed. If you were to move away from the VXL-6s ESC you would lose those built-in telemetry readings and need to install the optional sensors / expander / GPS to restore the telemetry readings.
    Really? I had to add optional sensor listed above to get battery voltage? All I had without adding the optional sensor was ESC temp etc. Didn’t notice the speed so without the GPS does it give you calculated speed but then for true speed you neeed the GPS?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Thanka fellas! Rain Dawg you are correct. I have all the "stock" sensors and added the 6521 for my motor. Not worried about speed as I run GRPs and there isn't really a size in the app that is the exact same so my speeds are off. Just really need esc temp as i like to monitor that for sure...also like watching motor temp and amperage draw.
    I'm with you RICK DIZZLE temps and volts meen more to me then speed, it's cool to see but on the rc boats temperature watching is super critical and if your boat runs out of juice away from shore because you weren't paying attention you pay the price. Unload the dinghy and start rowing lol.