RC Competitor

A build is never finished? Right?

Hey, the slash 4x4 I've been working on is finally "done" for now, my personal opinion is builds are never completely finished. How do you guys feel about that?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

For most of my RCs, they get to a point of completion, until I get up the gumption to do something else with it. There is always the new mod, when something breaks you look at what upgrades you can do, or the latest RC hotness comes out that you just have to have.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TheBasher01 View Post
    Hey, the slash 4x4 I've been working on is finally "done" for now, my personal opinion is builds are never completely finished. How do you guys feel about that?

Everyone has their own theories and goals.
    I love seeing what the modders do but I myself am not a modder.

I like simple and drama free, so for the most part, I keep my stuff as stock as is practical. Now, if a stock part continues to fail, I will upgrade that part.
    I do have a shelf queen that will be modded, but once I do that, it will be run, but not very hard.

For cars that get run hard, it's less trouble keeping them stock when it comes to warranty issues.
    Most of the problems I see people having here and on YouTube is when they go full Tim Taylor on their cars.
    Shocks aren't much of an issue, but the suspension is IMHO. Plastic A-arms breaking for me is not that big of a deal (I haven't broke any yet.).
    I'd rather the A-arm break than have the force transferred to a bigger part like the chassis. Motors and batteries, maybe fun but increase blowing out other electronics and also create more force on solid parts causing breakage.

It's no different from real cars...you wanna go fast...you're gonna break more and spend more overall. Then there are the compatibility issues that pop up. I've seen guys mod the heck out of their cars and go backward in performance. Then there's the guys that only consider horsepower...and can't hook up to save their lives. Lots of HP may look and sound impressive but if you can't make it down the track then what good is it?

Back to YOUR cars...They look nice, good job!
    I can't tell what was done to them though.

I like the Monster theme. I actually have a few clear bodies that eventually will be Monster themed as well.

RC Competitor
    For right now the only upgrades ive done

MAX10 hobbywing esc motor combo: geared 15:54

Hot racing aluminum motor mount and plate

Traxxas aluminum center drive shaft

Traxxas big bore shocks

Proline badlands

Strc front hinge pin

Raiden racing dirt guard cover

And of course, the TRX Racing monster body

She's got more parts coming in the future but not until I break something I like to name my builds too, the vxl stampede is called blue ice. I'm having a hard time coming up with names for the sl4sh. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Everyone has their own theories and goals.
    I love seeing what the modders do but I myself am not a modder.

I like simple and drama free, so for the most part, I keep my stuff as stock as is practical. Now, if a stock part continues to fail, I will upgrade that part.
    I do have a shelf queen that will be modded, but once I do that, it will be run, but not very hard.

For cars that get run hard, it's less trouble keeping them stock when it comes to warranty issues.
    Most of the problems I see people having here and on YouTube is when they go full Tim Taylor on their cars.
    Shocks aren't much of an issue, but the suspension is IMHO. Plastic A-arms breaking for me is not that big of a deal (I haven't broke any yet.).
    I'd rather the A-arm break than have the force transferred to a bigger part like the chassis. Motors and batteries, maybe fun but increase blowing out other electronics and also create more force on solid parts causing breakage.

It's no different from real cars...you wanna go fast...you're gonna break more and spend more overall. Then there are the compatibility issues that pop up. I've seen guys mod the heck out of their cars and go backward in performance. Then there's the guys that only consider horsepower...and can't hook up to save their lives. Lots of HP may look and sound impressive but if you can't make it down the track then what good is it?

Back to YOUR cars...They look nice, good job!
    I can't tell what was done to them though.

I like the Monster theme. I actually have a few clear bodies that eventually will be Monster themed as well.
    Your post reminds me of this new group gaining weight since the Y2K scare. I been doing RC since the early 70s back when you had to make nearly everything yourself. You couldn't just order replacements online or goto the LHS for parts. Because all that didn't exist. You had to put massive amounts of work and effort into nearly each repair.

Now this group of people I call those who "play scared" have it so easy to fix their rigs but rather baby it so it never breaks. As if it would be just too much effort to fix it after. It seems the whole identity of this hobby has changed from passionate model builders to overly protective toy owners.

This is nothing personal to you USMC1984 and nothing against how you do you. Your post just got me thinking too much and worried about the future of this hobby I have loved for nearly 50 years and watching it progress.

Sorry if I have offended anyone it wasn't my intent but I just felt it needed to be said.

P.S. @TheBasher01 Awesome builds I just wish to see under the lids also.
    Last edited by zedorda; 08-14-2019 at 10:16 AM.

I love the modding and tinkering aspect of this hobby. It keeps my mind and hands busy.

I really enjoy my rigs, but I always have other builds in my head. I cannot afford to have a separate rig for each of my plans. I have 2 Slash 4x4s that I am always looking to make over.

In other words... builds are never really done.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    More pictures to come tonight!!

RC Competitor
    Alrighty you guys wanted to see under the lid! Just got the dirt guard installed and it was actually really easy! I haven't ran it yet with it on but it looks like it should keep dirt out of the esc pretty well!

Oh dem some sexy bits. :P

RC Competitor
    My builds are never done. They might stagnate for a while, but there’s always something coming down the pipeline. My Slashes are both done for now, but I am looking to replace the tired 13.5 motor in my 2wd. Oh, and I’ve got a piece of material coming with which to build a top deck of sorts for my 4x4.

The weird thing I’ve discovered in the past few years is off road racing, especially short course, is way less demanding as far as maintenance goes, compared to on road. I don’t think I’ve broken anything on my buggy or Slashes in over 2 years of making the switch to dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Your post reminds me of this new group gaining weight since the Y2K scare. I been doing RC since the early 70s back when you had to make nearly everything yourself. You couldn't just order replacements online or goto the LHS for parts. Because all that didn't exist. You had to put massive amounts of work and effort into nearly each repair.

Now this group of people I call those who "play scared" have it so easy to fix their rigs but rather baby it so it never breaks. As if it would be just too much effort to fix it after. It seems the whole identity of this hobby has changed from passionate model builders to overly protective toy owners.

This is nothing personal to you USMC1984 and nothing against how you do you. Your post just got me thinking too much and worried about the future of this hobby I have loved for nearly 50 years and watching it progress.

Sorry if I have offended anyone it wasn't my intent but I just felt it needed to be said.

P.S. @TheBasher01 Awesome builds I just wish to see under the lids also.
    I'm not quite sure where this post was going exactly, but I don't think the hobby is in danger by people having different interests and goals. Fact is, whether you mod and bash, mod and shelf or not mod and bash or shelf, you're still buying and enjoying stuff in your own way, which supports the hobby. Actually if you really think about it, the people you mentioned in the past who built everything from scratch are the ones who are NOT putting money into the hobby. There are whole companies existing to serve people that just want to buy stuff for their cars...who cares if they are shelving or bashing?

People like me are more likely to buy cars for both reasons, so I'll buy one car to shelve and one to bash. keeping my car quite stock means I'm buying stock parts...possibly more frequently than someone who upgrades. The person who upgrades is supporting upgrade parts companies...both are a win for the hobby.

In my case, I selectively choose my parts based on breakage. I'd rather something like an A-arm breaking rather than the chassis...how does that hurt the hobby? I have many cars, each has their purpose in my mind. I like to look at them and run them mildly. I'm not a big fan of working on them (I used to be.) Again, how does that hurt the hobby?
    I may at some point buy double of each car, one to bash and one to shelve...that's helping the hobby, I would imagine, sales-wise.

I'm not offended by your post at all...just confused. Your post reminds me of the old "Back in MY day" type thinking that limits the "legitimate" enjoyment of something to the narrow confines of how you enjoy it and doesn't allow for others to have their own way.

I often state my own preferences for not modding much, but you will never see me putting down the modders. I love seeing what they do and appreciate the time, effort and passion they put into their projects whether they buy all the add-ons or fabricate them...it's all good.

Now this group of people I call those who "play scared" have it so easy to fix their rigs but rather baby it so it never breaks. As if it would be just too much effort to fix it after.
    I REALLY don't understand this part...
    Perhaps those of us who "play scared" simply have many other things on our plate time-wise and choose to enjoy this hobby as well. I got out of the hobby years back because it took too much of my time and resources. I had other more pressing matters at hand. Now, I'm back mostly because the hobby has changed enough to accomodate my lifestyle.

I was never much of a track guy...I liked to bash (Although MY idea of bashing is pretty mild compared.). I credit Traxxas for legitimizing and promoting that side of the hobby as well.

I remember the old codgers back when who thought anyone who doesn't compete on the track wasn't a REAL RC person...
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-15-2019 at 08:19 AM.

RC Racer
    I agree that they're never done unless you sell it. There will always be adjustments and changes trying to make it better.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd