Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    15

    Battery Connectors

    So my local shop sold me batteries with XT60 connectors, along with adapters to go from XT60 to the Traxxas plugs on the ESC. I then purchased a second set of batteries from SMC with XT60 plugs, only to find when bashing these seem to pull the adapters apart. I have backed the battery compartment with high density foam and bashed pretty hard last night with no issues (so think it was the batteries being shorter and pulling them out).

    All that said, I need to standardize on a plug. I want to get another vehicle (likely 4S max) and I am looking for suggestions. Whats the best plug for lipo use from 2-8S? I don't want to discount that I may own an X-Maxx someday.

  2. #2
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    15
    Also, do I void the warranty on the ESC if I change ends to something different? All my batteries are running XT60s, thinking this may be the way to go.

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    189
    There is no one size fits all. The connectors suck as you have found out, they disconnect. If you dont want to change every plug you ever get then you will need to learn to jimmy rig up the connectors, maybe put a bit of electrical tape around it whileyou run? dunno, try stuff out.

    You will get an opinion on every plug out there by people coming here to post. So my opinion is deans plug.

  4. #4
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,351
    If you want to end up running 4-8S, you may want to bump it up to xt90's or xt150's. I run all traxxas connectors on all my trucks/chargers/packs as I started running electric with the brushless revo 3 years ago. I wish I had changed to xt90's then. They are easier to solder, hold together well and handle a lot of current. Now I'd be looking at replacing 30+ connectors. lol! Well, 19-20 male, 25-30 female... not a day I look forward to, but I should really do it. The traxxas connectors on my ERBE are starting to fall out of the plugs. I bent them a bit so they bite in more, but 3 years is a lot of use. I had to resolder one back on as the wires flex/work hardened and broke finally a couple weeks ago. There were only 5-6 strands holding it on. I can't believe they didn't just melt!
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    The OSE 8mm antu spark connectors are great! Price is reasonable too, fairly easy to solder and you won't have to worry about running 6/8s on xmaxx...

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    I run the traxxas connectors on everything up to 3s. Anything I run on 4s, 6s or 8s i run Castle Creations 6.5mm polarized connectors. They are rated at 200 amps continuous, so there is piece of mind there that I never have to worry. I do run my erevo 2.0 on the traxxas connectors with no issues. This is what works for me. I find the castle connectors easy to solder and I am bush league at best when it comes to soldering. I don't see much of a problem running 2 different connectors unless you have a wide range of lipos that you plan on running in multiple vehicles. I personally only run 4s and up in 3-4 vehicles, and 3s and 2s in 3-4 vehicles. Rarely do I feel a need to mix it up. Xmaxx, my Teknos, my pro mt all get castles. My kids slashes, stampedes, my 2.0 have traxxas, only ever run 2 and 3s in those.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    331
    I run xt90 anti spark on mine. I had issues with my adapters on my lectron pro batteries, swapped them to trx connectors but still had issues with them as probably not true trx connectors... Corrosion, melting ect...

    I feel the xt90 a much better connector over trx. It was a pain to solder the new ends onto the esc, as thick wires and it wanted to transfer the heat fast so was hard to get a good solder on them.

    No idea on warranty.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC Racer ZUMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    229
    I got another RC running a 6S battery in it. I went with XT90s. Boy does a 6S setup spark when you connect it. I didnít like the spark so changed out the regular XT90s for the anti spark XT90s and Iím liking it a lot. So much that Iím thinking about taking off the Traxxas connectors off my REVO and putting on anti spark XT90s on it.

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    Oh and here are some pics of the OSE 8MM Anti Spark Connectors

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    1,140
    Dang! I also just watched a YouTube video on those. Those are some big beefy connectors!

    Can someone in basic terms explain what "prevents" the spark? How does an anti-spark connector actually work?
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 08-15-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

  11. #11
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Dang! I also just watched a YouTube video on those. Those are some big beefy connectors!

    Can someone in basic terms explain what "prevents" the spark? How does an anti-spark connector actually work?
    They have a resistor in them on one of the terminals and the terminal is actually split into 2 pieces.

    The esc has caps wired in parallel with the battery input which are before the switch. Caps will take in as much current/voltage as they can as fast as they can until they are full. So, when you plug your pack in, the capacitors in the esc are empty and has a resistive property to it, but it's really low. So with all the voltage/current you have in the pack, it rushes to the caps as fast as it can because electronically, when empty, the caps are almost a dead short. This rush causes an arc as you get the plugs close.

    If you look down the barrel of the female terminal (on amass xt90's), you will see one of them is actually 2 pieces. The other side is solid. When you plug it in, the solid side and the tip of the split side make contact and the resistor slows down the inrush of current to the caps as you plug it in. Then as you fully insert the plug, the split side now makes contact with the bottom part of the connector and the resistor is bypassed because it's essentially shorted now.

    There's a way longer/more technical explanation for it.

    This guy explains it quite a bit with a bunch of gibberish I forget from college 20 years ago... lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71Suakve6A
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Dang! I also just watched a YouTube video on those. Those are some big beefy connectors!

    Can someone in basic terms explain what "prevents" the spark? How does an anti-spark connector actually work?
    I think the anti spark connectors /plugs have a resistor built in(anti spark circuit). So a resistor is added to the front on one side of the connector so not all the current is transferred instantaneously. Then once fully seated it is a solid connection.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    They have a resistor in them on one of the terminals and the terminal is actually split into 2 pieces.

    The esc has caps wired in parallel with the battery input which are before the switch. Caps will take in as much current/voltage as they can as fast as they can until they are full. So, when you plug your pack in, the capacitors in the esc are empty and has a resistive property to it, but it's really low. So with all the voltage/current you have in the pack, it rushes to the caps as fast as it can because electronically, when empty, the caps are almost a dead short. This rush causes an arc as you get the plugs close.

    If you look down the barrel of the female terminal (on amass xt90's), you will see one of them is actually 2 pieces. The other side is solid. When you plug it in, the solid side and the tip of the split side make contact and the resistor slows down the inrush of current to the caps as you plug it in. Then as you fully insert the plug, the split side now makes contact with the bottom part of the connector and the resistor is bypassed because it's essentially shorted now.

    There's a way longer/more technical explanation for it.

    This guy explains it quite a bit with a bunch of gibberish I forget from college 20 years ago... lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71Suakve6A
    I was just about to post this guys vid..


    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    1,140
    Wow! I learned a good amount from that video and the responses! Thank you. That is pretty cool how that works!
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I run the traxxas connectors on everything up to 3s. Anything I run on 4s, 6s or 8s i run Castle Creations 6.5mm polarized connectors. They are rated at 200 amps continuous, so there is piece of mind there that I never have to worry. I do run my erevo 2.0 on the traxxas connectors with no issues. This is what works for me. I find the castle connectors easy to solder and I am bush league at best when it comes to soldering. I don't see much of a problem running 2 different connectors unless you have a wide range of lipos that you plan on running in multiple vehicles. I personally only run 4s and up in 3-4 vehicles, and 3s and 2s in 3-4 vehicles. Rarely do I feel a need to mix it up. Xmaxx, my Teknos, my pro mt all get castles. My kids slashes, stampedes, my 2.0 have traxxas, only ever run 2 and 3s in those.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

    Donít forget the best part of the CCís.....the free workout you get trying to disconnect!

    I have them on 3 cars and probably 10 batteriesó-had some great tug of war matches with them!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcm1978 View Post
    Donít forget the best part of the CCís.....the free workout you get trying to disconnect!

    I have them on 3 cars and probably 10 batteriesó-had some great tug of war matches with them!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have been there, but now I adjust them to fit properly so I only have the intial tug of war now while doing said adjusting. I have forgot and just crammed a new set together and had to use tools to get them apart.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •