RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 Handling issue

Hello,

So one of my friends purchased a slash 4x4 in good shape off the ole' craigslist and the truck seems to be a pretty good deal but there are some handling concerns with the truck. I have a few ideas on what it needs but wanted some more expertise.

Truck Info: Stock Stampede tires (bigger then stocks on slash), 13 pinion 54 tooth spur, about 5-5.5 pound in weight, RPM a arms, aluminum casters & blocks, aluminum shock towers. If you need more information just let me know.

Truck ESC & Motor Combo: 3600KV hobbywing ESC & Motor setup

https://www.amazon.com/38010201-Max1...1CP6D7AD8X9VCJ

Problems:
    1. Under-steer: The truck under steers horribly and i believe its because of the servo equipped in the truck. Its just a stock Traxxas servo in a black case. Traxxas# 2055 i believe? and it doesn't seem to be very strong, so i was thinking a servo upgrade would be almost a must.

2. Body roll & not driving straight: Now when on hard pavement, the truck body rolls a ton and i was thinking it was because of the need for heavier springs. To further explain why this is a problem, when on blacktop you cannot keep the truck driving in a straight line. I set the sub-trim, trim, servo rate, toe in/out, and camber and you cannot get this thing to drive in a straight line on blacktop, it begins to "pull" left so you correct and it'll pull the opposite or sometimes even the same way. Could this be related to the servo again, not being strong enough for the truck and maybe not centering to its zero point?

The truck is going to be a "monster slash" and used almost off road for its entirety, but when on hard clay the effects are also extremely noticeable.

any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

The stock steering servo is the tra2075. It would seem like your servo is Ill equipped to handle the trucks needs. Sounds like you need to do an alignment on the truck. That will get her going in a straight line
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Alright I'll try that. I've got a spare servo I'll put in it to test it out and re-align the truck (again lol). like my premonition and your confirmation, the servo doesn't seem to be nearly strong enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Replaced the servo with a much stronger, steel gear one and it fixed the under-steer.

But, the truck still doesn't want to drive straight even after alignment, it is a lot better with the servo but if you punch it, it'll pull left or right. I noticed there is "slop" in the rear hub carriers. Could this be causing it to drive poorly on hard pack surfaces? When under load, the rear tires really torque inward toward the chassis which i think could be causing it. All my other trucks have Aluminum carriers and are much tighter (no slop). I think it needs aluminum hub carriers. Thoughts on this?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgkskater1996 View Post
    Replaced the servo with a much stronger, steel gear one and it fixed the under-steer.

But, the truck still doesn't want to drive straight even after alignment, it is a lot better with the servo but if you punch it, it'll pull left or right. I noticed there is "slop" in the rear hub carriers. Could this be causing it to drive poorly on hard pack surfaces? When under load, the rear tires really torque inward toward the chassis which i think could be causing it. All my other trucks have Aluminum carriers and are much tighter (no slop). I think it needs aluminum hub carriers. Thoughts on this?
    They are supposed to point inwards. Make sure tsm is turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    got it figured out, it had to light of fluid in the rear shocks for the truck. Put in 40 weight shock oil in the rears and the steering on hard pack improved a ton. for this basher setup, going from hard pack to dirt and back and forth the hard pack handling was a must have. Thanks for the feedback guys!