RC Enthusiast

New Slash 4x4 owner starting a build!

Hey Everyone! Just wanted to say Hi to all the Slash owners here. I’m new to the forum, recently just purchased a 2wd slash for my son and a Rustler 4x4 VXL for myself. Then I came across a really good deal on a slash 4x4 and took full advantage so we could have matching cars. I drove both the Slash and the Rustler but I enjoy the Slash more. So I decided to build it up some! But I do have a few questions.

Heres everything I ordered, still waiting for some stuff to come in but I’ll post pictures for sure!

RPM Front bumper black

RPM Rear bumper black

RPM Nerf bars

RPM Rear bearing carrier

RPM Adjustable Body Mount Set

Traxxas Slash 2WD & 4x4 Battery Expansion Kit

Traxxas Aluminum Front Shock Tower

Traxxas Aluminum Rear Shock Tower

Traxxas sway bar kit

Traxxas GTR XX-Long Shocks (2) w/Titanium Shafts

Traxxas GTR Long Shocks (2) w/Titanium-Nitride Shafts

Associated 50-Weight Silicone Shock Oil

Associated 40-Weight Silicone Shock Oil

King Headz Traxxas Slash 4x4 Aluminum Motor Mount w/Telemetry Mount

King Headz Traxxas Slash 4x4 Slipper Bearing Adapter

Traxxas Erevo Slipper Clutch High Perf Rebuild Kit

Traxxas Erevo Slipper Pressure Plate and Hub

Traxxas Slipper Clutch Input Shaft

And a bunch of miscellaneous screw and gears.

Think that’s everything for now!

And before anyone tells me I’m terrible for not getting him anything, we already finished his build with much of the same items! Lol

Future upgrades for my truck are the Castle Creations Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1512 Sensored Motor (2650kV) and MIP X duty kit front and rear. I want to be able to run 3s batteries without constantly worrying about temps or frying the stock set up.

Once I get my hands on those parts I am going to take the Velineon Motor and ECS and put it in his 2wd slash and convert it over to a monster Slash! He does have some trouble with the stock titan motor in taller grass, so I’m hoping with more power and higher clearance it won’t be as much of an issue.

Now for my questions! Is it possible to have the CC ECS accept the Traxxas ID battery connectors? We have all Traxxas ID batteries and charger so I’d like to keep it all the same.

Is there anything additional I’ll need for his truck to accept that power system?

And is there anything else I’m missing?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long post but I have to say we’re super excited!!

WOW, heck of a list there, looks like it will be a lot of fun to put together.

Recommend ditching the RPM carriers and going to aluminum. RPM's plastic is very flexible and distorts under load, which is not what you want at your carriers.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Agree you can pick up the aluminum that comes on the ultimate for pretty cheap through eBay and Jennyís rc

RC Qualifier

New Slash 4x4 owner starting a build!

Quote Originally Posted by Theo15 View Post
    Hey Everyone! Just wanted to say Hi to all the Slash owners here. Iím new to the forum, recently just purchased a 2wd slash for my son and a Rustler 4x4 VXL for myself. Then I came across a really good deal on a slash 4x4 and took full advantage so we could have matching cars. I drove both the Slash and the Rustler but I enjoy the Slash more. So I decided to build it up some! But I do have a few questions.

Heres everything I ordered, still waiting for some stuff to come in but Iíll post pictures for sure!

RPM Front bumper black

RPM Rear bumper black

RPM Nerf bars

RPM Rear bearing carrier

RPM Adjustable Body Mount Set

Traxxas Slash 2WD & 4x4 Battery Expansion Kit

Traxxas Aluminum Front Shock Tower

Traxxas Aluminum Rear Shock Tower

Traxxas sway bar kit

Traxxas GTR XX-Long Shocks (2) w/Titanium Shafts

Traxxas GTR Long Shocks (2) w/Titanium-Nitride Shafts

Associated 50-Weight Silicone Shock Oil

Associated 40-Weight Silicone Shock Oil

King Headz Traxxas Slash 4x4 Aluminum Motor Mount w/Telemetry Mount

King Headz Traxxas Slash 4x4 Slipper Bearing Adapter

Traxxas Erevo Slipper Clutch High Perf Rebuild Kit

Traxxas Erevo Slipper Pressure Plate and Hub

Traxxas Slipper Clutch Input Shaft

And a bunch of miscellaneous screw and gears.

Think thatís everything for now!

And before anyone tells me Iím terrible for not getting him anything, we already finished his build with much of the same items! Lol

Future upgrades for my truck are the Castle Creations Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1512 Sensored Motor (2650kV) and MIP X duty kit front and rear. I want to be able to run 3s batteries without constantly worrying about temps or frying the stock set up.

Once I get my hands on those parts I am going to take the Velineon Motor and ECS and put it in his 2wd slash and convert it over to a monster Slash! He does have some trouble with the stock titan motor in taller grass, so Iím hoping with more power and higher clearance it wonít be as much of an issue.

Now for my questions! Is it possible to have the CC ECS accept the Traxxas ID battery connectors? We have all Traxxas ID batteries and charger so Iíd like to keep it all the same.

Is there anything additional Iíll need for his truck to accept that power system?

And is there anything else Iím missing?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long post but I have to say weíre super excited!!
    Did you get springs for your shocks?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ati; 08-16-2019 at 11:43 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    Did you get springs for your shocks?...

Yes I did! My mistake, forgot those lol I purchased Traxxas Springs a set of black and a set of pink.

RC Qualifier
    Yes I did! My mistake, forgot those lol I purchased Traxxas Springs a set of black and a set of pink.
    Awesome! Regarding your first post -

I think you meant ESC instead of ďECSĒ but yeah the castle esc can accept traxxas id batteries. You just have to solder on a traxxas adapter.

RC Enthusiast
    I also had a question about the CC ESC and motor. Is this the one I should be looking for? I want something I can run a 3S battery and not worry about temps. Honestly, if it’s possible I wouldn’t mind being able to run back to back 3s batteries for some prolonged fun. (If that’s possible of course)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...145-04/p587670

With that combo the lowest cell count battery you want to use is a 3s. And yes it will cool as a cucumber. As long as you are not planning to run huge 6 inch tires or gearing it to do 150mph.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    With that combo the lowest cell count battery you want to use is a 3s. And yes it will cool as a cucumber. As long as you are not planning to run huge 6 inch tires or gearing it to do 150mph.
    Nope not at all! Lol biggest tires would be 2.8 at most if I decide I want a monster slash but I don’t think so. And I’ve never been one to gear for too speed runs, 50mph is more than enough lol

Sounds like you have a good plan! Now you just need to add pictures of your build
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Good news is I have some parts being delivered today! Better news is I went and pulled the trigger on Castle Creations Monster X 25.2V ESC, w/ 1512-2650KV Sensored Motor CSE010-0145-04, a set of MIP X-Duty CVD, and lastly Pro-Line Badlands SC. Now I just have to go to my LHS and pick up some traxxas battery connectors and a soldering iron.

Is there anything that needs to be done or upgraded on my sons 2WD slash before I put the Velineon VXL in his truck?
    Last edited by Theo15; 08-17-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Congrats on your new system... you’re going to love it.
    What gears are you planning on running with it? I suggest 20/50, but it all comes down to how and where you run. Get an IR temp gun and test test test.

As for the 2WD, I have no idea. I’ve never had one.

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Congrats on your new system... you’re going to love it.
    What gears are you planning on running with it? I suggest 20/50, but it all comes down to how and where you run. Get an IR temp gun and test test test.

As for the 2WD, I have no idea. I’ve never had one.

Good luck and have fun!
    I was actually just planning on running stock gearing for now. We run in our front yard/street mostly which is grass and asphalt. About 50/50. Sometimes we’ll go to a park and let them rip on a grass field and then the pavement. And yes I did pick up a temp gun!

Based on running grass and pavement equally split what gearing would you recommend?

RC Enthusiast
    Good morning guys,

I need a little help here. I’m trying to get my pinion and spur gears taken care of since the new motor is a 5mm shaft. The only traxxas pinion year I found was a MOD 1. But I can’t seem to find a spur gear with the correct pitch and number of teeth I am looking for. I’m going to start out at 20/50 but also purchase 17/54 and 18/54. Could someone please help out, I’m a little confused. Should I be looking at something completely different?

Good morning guys,

I need a little help here. Iím trying to get my pinion and spur gears taken care of since the new motor is a 5mm shaft. The only traxxas pinion year I found was a MOD 1. But I canít seem to find a spur gear with the correct pitch and number of teeth I am looking for. Iím going to start out at 20/50 but also purchase 17/54 and 18/54. Could someone please help out, Iím a little confused. Should I be looking at something completely different?
    Mod1 is fine to run. Just google search "slash 4x4 mod1 spur gear". Hot racing, GDS racing, definitely make them in a variety of tooth counts. Same goes for 32 pitch. You should be able to find any combo you need in the aftermarket. If you want to stick with plastic you will likely have to stick with traxxas brand, which is fine. A properly meshed plastic spur gear will last a long time even while running big power. Mod 1 is just a little bigger than 32pitch. Just make sure you always run 32pitch spur with 32pitch pinion, Mod1 spur with Mod1 pinion and you are good to go. 32 pitch and Mod.8 are compatible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 08-18-2019 at 09:10 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Got the correct gears ordered tonight. Everything but the motor should be here tomorrow so I can start piecing everything together. Managed to get the shocks together tonight! GTR long in the front with 50wt and XXL in the rear with 40wt, pink springs all around.

RC Enthusiast
    Hmmm for some reason I’m not allowed to upload pictures... I just posting a couple. Not sure why or how to fix it but I’ll try.

RC Enthusiast
    Got the picture thing figured out lol. Picture of the shocks together. More pictures to follow!

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Here’s a picture of all the parts I have waiting lol. And also some pictures of MIP X duty CVD and then the completed rear.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Got the front end finished off today. MIP X duty CVD, GTR shocks, shock tower, RPM bumper and body mounts. Coming along nicely! Next up is the Mamba monster X, 2650kv motor, king heads motor mount, upgraded e-revo slipper clutch, and then a couple random odds and ends!

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking great!! The building stage is my favorite part...followed closely by driving.

You'll have a blast with this once its completed.

RC Enthusiast
    Just a quick update, managed to get the stock VXL system out yesterday. Went to take the motor plate off and noticed both screws were completely stripped before I even had a chance to try and get them out Which led to a trip to Lowe’s and the LHS for a stripped screw extractor and a new motor plate (just in case). So today I finally got the stripped screws out and installed the motor mount on the 2650kv. Now I’m just figuring out placement on the MMX and getting the motor bolted on. Pictures to follow. All that’s left is the erevo slipper clutch and setting the gear mesh. Then it’ll be time to swap the VXL into my sons 2wd slash and converting it into a monster slash!! After that it’ll finally be time for our test runs!! Can’t wait!!

RC Enthusiast
    Alright guys I need some help. Got everything installed on the truck! New motor, ESC, tires all of it! Went to power it on and the throttle was reversed. Quick google search and I got that fixed.

Now here is where I need help. My right rear tire is not is not spinning as quick as the other wheels when I hit the throttle. Sometimes it doesn’t spin at all, until it seems to “catch”. I’m not really sure how else to describe it. If I try to turn the whee by hand it’s very hard to do and the left rear doesn’t spin at all. If I spin the left rear my front two wheels move opposite as they should but that right rear wheel isn’t doing anything. Please help me out, it’s been very frustrating. As I mentioned in previous posts I did upgrade to MIP X duty CVD’s. And yes the 2 grub screws that connect the CVD to the differential are there. Any help is greatly appreciated because I am totally lost!

RC Enthusiast
    Alright guys I need some help. Got everything installed on the truck! New motor, ESC, tires all of it! Went to power it on and the throttle was reversed. Quick google search and I got that fixed.

Now here is where I need help. My right rear tire is not is not spinning as quick as the other wheels when I hit the throttle. Sometimes it doesnít spin at all, until it seems to ďcatchĒ. Iím not really sure how else to describe it. If I try to turn the whee by hand itís very hard to do and the left rear doesnít spin at all. If I spin the left rear my front two wheels move opposite as they should but that right rear wheel isnít doing anything. Please help me out, itís been very frustrating. As I mentioned in previous posts I did upgrade to MIP X duty CVDís. And yes the 2 grub screws that connect the CVD to the differential are there. Any help is greatly appreciated because I am totally lost!
    Also to possibly help, I took the spur gear cover off to see if that could tell me something. The spur gear is meshed with the pinion gear (using the paper method) and I can see the slipper clutch is spinning with the spur gear. Is that suppose to be like that? Itís also not a very smooth spin. Itís almost as if something is stopping the spur gear from spinning freely and causing added stress to the pinion gear. If that makes sense? Iím just totally lost.

And if I lay the car in the ground and pull the car by the bumper the rear right wheel locks up and prevents the other wheels from spinning easily.

RC Qualifier
    I'm no expert but if only one rear wheel locks up i'd say it was in the differential. Not an easy repair but maybe wait until someone else has an idea. I have two Pro-Line transmissions that sound "crunchy" too that I need to check.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I'm no expert but if only one rear wheel locks up i'd say it was in the differential. Not an easy repair but maybe wait until someone else has an idea. I have two Pro-Line transmissions that sound "crunchy" too that I need to check.

That’s kinda what I was thinking but the thing that’s throwing me off is, before I started this build the rear diff was perfectly fine. Is it possible something got messed up while the truck was just sitting there?

Anyone else have any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    I wonder if it could be the axle bearing carrier binding since the axles were the only changes you made and had this occur then.