RC Competitor

Summit Axles, 2019

My Summit has been dormant for a while, now I'm fixing it up. Who makes the best upgraded axles for the Summit that can still be purchased in 2019?
    Sent from one of my transmitters.

Why upgrade? You running 6s or something and have broken the stockers? Anyhow, MIP X Duties are hard to beat for aftermarket pieces..

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Why upgrade? You running 6s or something and have broken the stockers? Anyhow, MIP X Duties are hard to beat for aftermarket pieces..
    Hi! Thanks for responding. I only run 4S with a DeWalt motor. A couple of times over the years I have split the plastic where the pin holds the half-shaft to the cup. It's not horrible but it would be nice not to have to worry about it. I enjoy upgrading my RC's with stronger parts.
    Sent from one of my transmitters.

RC Qualifier
    I run my summit with Tekin 2000kv on 5S with pro-line beadlocks and mudslingers. Stock shafts have held up well to the abuse. If you put stronger axles on then the weak point would move up the driveline. My opinion, I would rather replace a cheap axle($8pair) than repair the differential. MIP and Hot Racing are probably the only ones left.

RC Qualifier
    But I think we can all agree that Hot Racing is a *cough cough* trashy company and you should never buy their products for both your own sake and as a matter of principle. I mean that as tactfully as possible.
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by larsen8 View Post
    But I think we can all agree that Hot Racing is a *cough cough* trashy company...Who? Why?
    I haven't had any issues with Hot Racing products. Are you thinking of integy? I have tried integy products and I feel those are more bling than function.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I haven't had any issues with Hot Racing products. Are you thinking of integy? I have tried integy products and I feel those are more bling than function.
    Let me start by stating that I am a very easy customer to deal with. Some people are nasty customers and for them, even the best customer service is never good enough. I always give people the benefit of the doubt and only really raise concerns when something is clearly, 100% unacceptable. Ok, so now we know that.

I have had two run ins with Hot Racing. The first time was probably about eight years ago I bought a HD slipper kit for my Summit from them. Needless to say, the pressure plate was not machined properly. I mean, not even finished machining. I'm a machinist so I know what I'm talking about. It's like they didn't even bother to add very necessary features. Anyways, I emailed them with very clear pictures and an explanation of the problem. Twice. Both times I never even got a response. Not even automated; nothing. Ok, fast forward probably about a year and a half, maybe two years. A friend of mine asked about upgrades to the slipper clutch assembly. I suggested [warily] that he try the Hot Racing HD slipper kit. Guess what? Same dang story. In my eyes, any company who continually sells products that are so defective they are impossible to use and is that lazy on their production standards/inspections is not worth doing business with. Not to mention a complete lack of warranty/communication.

Obviously, the parts are made in China. No American or European company could foot machining parts with that level of complexity and sell them for under $20, unless they were making thousands of the things. But that's no excuse. The company I work for at one point contracted two of the same part to be made, one in the US for ~$6,000, one in China for ~$600, with a few tolerances tighter than ten microns. Guess what? The Chinese one passed QA, the American one didn't. So I'm sold on the fact that China is just as capable of manufacturing great parts. At that point, it comes down to the individual shop/manufacturer/seller.

Anyways, rant over. Two failed chances is enough for me to give up on a brand and recommend against them to others. Have they turned things around since my bad experiences? Perhaps. Only one way to find out...

RC Qualifier
    I've actually had fairly good experiences with Integy. Purchased a front chassis brace for an SC10, a transmission for a Firestorm and a couple other minor odds and ends. The only issue I had was with a set of fake piggyback shocks for a Savage XL. And that was mainly because they performed horribly compared to the stock big bores. A lot of their other products I wouldn't purchase mainly because I would not pay for and upgrade to heavier aluminum parts when the stock plastic works just as well. Remember kids, aluminum doesn't flex like plastic. It bends and stays bent.