RC Qualifier

Battery Charger Recommendation for 4 Cell?

I have the single Traxxas battery Charger ID EZ-PEAK LIVE. It is fine for they Traxxas Batteries that came with the package deal I bought. But I am looking to buy non Traxxas batteries and Iím looking for a reasonably price but solid charger.

Any suggestions?

I have Venom Pro Quad's. I kike them a lot, and they're priced well. I also went with a nicely price set of dischargers for faster battery deep cycling. I really like them too.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

It really depends on what you are willing to spend and what you are looking to achieve. It also depends on your philosophy of how you charge your batteries. I personally charge my batteries at 2c, because to be honest my time is more important than my money. I have 2 small kids so my window to play is small. I would rather be able to charge my 9200mah 4s in 15 minutes and have to replace them sooner than having them take an hour to charge and them last years and years. I don't know what the watt/amp ratings are of the traxxas chargers, but you need the ability to charge like a 9000ish mah 4s at atleast 1c, so a 10amp charger minimum. I have an icharger 406 duo with a 1000watt power supply. It's a dual port charger and can put out 40 amps per channel. It is a very good charger, almost top of the line, but very exspensive. Hitec makes a nice DC charger that gets the job done, as well ISDT and Hota for a much more reasonable price. Really does depend on your budget and what you are looking to achieve.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I have Venom Pro Quad's. I kike them a lot, and they're priced well. I also went with a nicely price set of dischargers for faster battery deep cycling. I really like them too.

Wow Regular you are hooked up! How long have you had them? I bought a Venom Charger for son and it malfunctioned within the first 9 months and they werenít very helpful.

I did see that Power Hobby had a special two 4c 5200mah 50C batteries and the Venom tower charger for $180.00.

Anyway I will have to give the, some thought.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I have had the skyRC D400 for a year or so. It works well. It has a built-in power supply so you don’t have to manage a separate device. And it does 20 A per channel.

I have a few chargers. I think the ISDT Q6 is hard to beat for the price and power. But I wanted something that was AC/DC. I pickup the HOBBYMATE D6 Duo and really like it. 200watts AC, 650watts DC. Those ISDT discharges are awesome too. I have a couple of those too. That ICharger 406 Duo is a beast.

Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post
    Wow Regular you are hooked up! How long have you had them? I bought a Venom Charger for son and it malfunctioned within the first 9 months and they weren’t very helpful.
    I got my first Venom battery chargers back in 2008 when I got back into RC with my Emaxx. As part of the deal my (LHS) gave me two single green Venom PRO chargers. The only problem I ever had with them was their cooling fans. They eventually pooped out on me. My fix for this was to install new fans, but on the outside of the charger rather than inside. This allowed me to keep them cleaned and lubed, and was a lot easier to change them if/when it was necessary.

As my RC stable grew, and my battery inventory increased, I wanted to be able to charge more than two batteries at a time. I worked out a (LHS) deal for my now Venom PRO-Quad's for 180 bucks each. This increased my charging/discharging capabilities up to eight batteries at a time. I've had my Venom Quad's, now, for a couple of years without any problems. I like them a lot, and it's hard to beat their price.

As I learned more about Lipo's, I seen the need for keeping them deep cycled and stored properly. You can do this with my Venom PRO-Quads, but along with most other chargers the process is really slow. There are a few battery chargers out there that greatly speed up the processes (and voltage share too), but boy are the expensive. Plus, they (at best) can only do two batteries at a time.

Thus, my reasoning behind purchasing my dischargers. For 25 bucks a piece, it was cheaper to buy these dischargers than it was for me to make them. It was actually going to cost me 40 bucks just for one high wattage resister, not to mention needing four along with four cooling fans and switches.

Also, it was a lot cheaper to buy these four little dischargers (that can discharge up to 8 amps) than it was to buy the super high-end battery chargers that can only discharge at (up to) 4 amps. Now, instead of taking me 10 hours each day for a week to recycle my batteries, it only takes me a couple of hours each day (for a couple of days) to recycle my batteries.

Listen to NickRuger.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    It really depends on what you are willing to spend and what you are looking to achieve. It also depends on your philosophy of how you charge your batteries. I personally charge my batteries at 2c, because to be honest my time is more important than my money.
    I agree with NickRuger 100%. I don't charge my batteries at 2c like he does (nothing wrong with 2c charging), but I do understand why he does it. Like he says, a person wants to do all his battery charging and maintenance in a way that allows him to have the most screw off time as posable.

I'm sure he would agree that "Screw Off Time" is the "Holly Grail" of "Mandom." Where he and I differ slightly is in our "Battery Charging Philosophy." This isn't a bad thing, because we're all different, and we all have different needs and responsibilities.

Like he says, though, you have to figure out yours. His "Battery Charging Philosophy" is based on his limited time for charging and doing battery maintenance. My "Battery Charging Philosophy" is not. He has to do 2c charging for his "Battery Charging Philosophy." I can do (.50c-1.0c) charging for mine.

(IMO) I'm glad with my "Battery Charging Philosophy" I can have the best of both worlds...time and money. (lol) You may be like me, or you may be like NickRuger. They both work, because they both keep in mind "The Holy Grail" of Mandom which is maximizing "Screw Off Time." Good luck with whatever "Battery Charging Philosophy" you decide on. Once you figure that out the rest is easy.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-18-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Hota d6 plus from smc-racing