Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Competitor

Thermal protection, help!

Hey guys I'm geared 15/54 mo.8, today I took the slash out and decided to just bash around (grass, concrete, loose gravel) I wasn't too hard on it for the most part did about 7-8 hard zips down the road and it's only 70 where I live today. Esc put her in thermal protection. After about maybe 20 min run time. I'm running a venom 2S 5000 40c battery in case anyone was wondering. Am I geared wrong? Is anyone else having this problem?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Measure the temps of your ESC (and motor) while driving.
    If you don't own a temp gun, get one.

The Velineon VXL-esc that I have tends to heat up quick when geared up (13/54 is stock for a slash 4x4).
    Ad a fan to the ESC.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    Measure the temps of your ESC (and motor) while driving.
    If you don't own a temp gun, get one.

The Velineon VXL-esc that I have tends to heat up quick when geared up (13/54 is stock for a slash 4x4).
    Ad a fan to the ESC.
    I have a hobbywing max 10 combo, so the esc has a fan, I'm running a cut off for 130f and she's getting up to 140f. I'm debating on buying a fan for the motor? Good choice?

RC Competitor
    4600 kv seems high for this kind of car.

The badlands you use, are those short course tires or the 2.8 MT tires ?

RC Competitor
    4600 kv seems high for this kind of car.

The badlands you use, are those short course tires or the 2.8 MT tires ?
    Short course, I'm a basher kinda rc guy so I wanted a high rated kv motor

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-19-2019 at 10:58 AM.

RC Competitor
    I would start with a 13t.
    Last edited by StijnH; 08-19-2019 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBasher01 View Post
    I have a hobbywing max 10 combo, so the esc has a fan, I'm running a cut off for 130f and she's getting up to 140f. I'm debating on buying a fan for the motor? Good choice?

140 is not hot. In most cases the motor has to be around 170 to be considered hot.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    140 is not hot. In most cases the motor has to be around 170 to be considered hot.
    Okay, I'm not %100 sure it was because of a thermal cut off but I had no fwd/rev I had steering, waited about half hour came back out and she was fine.

RC Competitor
    What motor are you using and what are the temps on the motor when the ESC cuts off ?

I'm using the Hobbywing max 10 SCT ESC with a 3200KV motor, geared 17/54. I have not encountered any heat or cut-off problems.

Are you using stock tires ?

RC Competitor
    What motor are you using and what are the temps on the motor when the ESC cuts off ?

I'm using the Hobbywing max 10 SCT ESC with a 3200KV motor, geared 17/54. I have not encountered any heat or cut-off problems.

Are you using stock tires ?
    No sir, I'm using the proline badlands and I have the 4600kv motor geared 15/54 and I'm clocking the motor at 140

RC Competitor
    I'm no expert on electronics.
    I would gear down a bit and see where it takes you.

RC Competitor
    I'm no expert on electronics.
    I would gear down a bit and see where it takes you.
    Were you thinking somewhere along the lines of 12/54? Or just go one tooth down until I find a sweet spot? Because right now all I have is the 15t

RC Qualifier
    Imo, 4600kv is not for 4x4 sct, lower kv motor would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post

Yeah, that's kind of for a 2wd lighter vehicle.

I ran a castle 3800kv in my stampede for a while, it ran hot, especially on 3S, but I wasn't running the stock esc. I moved the stock esc/motor over to a converted jato and it did ok there until I started running 3s, then the motor died. I replaced it with a 3200kv 3660 and it's been ok. When I had the castle sct sv3/3800kv in it, I ran on 2S most of the time and it would overheat if I ran it too hard in the grass with 14/54 and trencher 2.8's. I ended up running 13/54, then it seemed to do fine pack after pack.

I'm currently running the max10 sct and a hobbystar 3200 3665 in the stampede and it still runs warmer than I'd like. Next step is 1/8th scale stuff and getting creative with installing it in the room available.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of for a 2wd lighter vehicle.

I ran a castle 3800kv in my stampede for a while, it ran hot, especially on 3S, but I wasn't running the stock esc. I moved the stock esc/motor over to a converted jato and it did ok there until I started running 3s, then the motor died. I replaced it with a 3200kv 3660 and it's been ok. When I had the castle sct sv3/3800kv in it, I ran on 2S most of the time and it would overheat if I ran it too hard in the grass with 14/54 and trencher 2.8's. I ended up running 13/54, then it seemed to do fine pack after pack.

I'm currently running the max10 sct and a hobbystar 3200 3665 in the stampede and it still runs warmer than I'd like. Next step is 1/8th scale stuff and getting creative with installing it in the room available.
    I know that I can test but what gearing do you suggest with that esc and 3660 3200kv motor on 3s. I have 1/8 buggy wheels wich are smaller and lighter than yours 2.8. Thanks.
    OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.

RC Competitor

You're right. 4600kv is wild for a 4x4 sct... With stock parts... I have the aluminum center driveshaft with upgraded hubs. As well as MIP cvd shafts. So I'll be set for any roar this motor can put out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBasher01 View Post
    You're right. 4600kv is wild for a 4x4 sct... With stock parts... I have the aluminum center driveshaft with upgraded hubs. As well as MIP cvd shafts. So I'll be set for any roar this motor can put out.

The reason we are mentioning it though is that the higher kv motors are intended typically for lighter vehicles. Typically, a 3660 sized motor that is 3000kv has more torque than a 3660 motor that has 4000kv. You may get more RPM's out of the higher kv motor, but it will suffer trying to push a heavy truck around without gearing it down.

With big stuff, like 1/5th scale, they run sub 1000kv motors. Then stuff like my losi micro-sct came with a 8750Kv motor. The physical size of the motor plays a part too of course. Just that typically the higher the kv, the lower the torque.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 08-20-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    If it’s not thermal, then maybe you’re hitting low voltage cutoff? A battery that bottoms out will generally rebound if left to rest. I wouldn’t run it again without a recharge first. If/when this happens again, check your battery voltage. It’s a long shot, but it’s possible.

Also, go over the rig to be sure nothings binding up. One bad bearing can ruin your whole day.

RC Qualifier
    Good point on low voltage cutoff. 20min with 2s 5000mah 40c battery is normal for 4x4 sct.
    OP did you set lvc?
    There is temperature monitoring cable between esc and motor for that sistem so you should be safe for not overheating. A cant remember 100% but I think thermal shut down activate at 200 degrees (pretty high temp, right?)

RC Competitor
    Good point on low voltage cutoff. 20min with 2s 5000mah 40c battery is normal for 4x4 sct.
    OP did you set lvc?
    There is temperature monitoring cable between esc and motor for that sistem so you should be safe for not overheating. A cant remember 100% but I think thermal shut down activate at 200 degrees (pretty high temp, right?)

Honestly, come to think about it, I did raise my temp cut off a little higher, there's 2 levels and I set mine to the higher level. I've only had this problem once so far so I'm hoping the battery was just low I've sent 2 packs through the truck since. So whatever problem it was went away, I was just wondering if you guys have had this problem and knew how to prevent it from happening again. But I'll keep you guys posted!

RC Qualifier

Thermal protection, help!

Found it

Lower option is pretty high temperature so I would not suggest second one.
    Do you have temp gun?

Last edited by alexsasax; 08-20-2019 at 03:02 AM.

RC Competitor
    Found it

Lower option is pretty high temperature so I would not suggest second one.

You got it, I reprogrammed it running on option one now, hopefully I didnt cook anything, the highest I saw it get was 140 so it wasn't thermal protection. It's on punch level 4, is there anything else you recommend?

RC Qualifier
    Well, my experience with this sistem is good but I have to say that I used it with 1/10 4x4 buggu wich is lighter. I dont like to run on grass because it is hard on electronics, if you want that go with lower than 3000kv and 3s. I always set my lvc on highest level to keep my battery.
    My slash 4x4 build is almost finished and I bought ezrun max10sct with 3200kv motor combo. I bought it mainly because esc can handle bigger motor if Im not satisfied with 3660.

RC Competitor
    Well, my experience with this sistem is good but I have to say that I used it with 1/10 4x4 buggu wich is lighter. I dont like to run on grass because it is hard on electronics, if you want that go with lower than 3000kv and 3s. I always set my lvc on highest level to keep my battery.
    My slash 4x4 build is almost finished and I bought ezrun max10sct with 3200kv motor combo. I bought it mainly because esc can handle bigger motor if Im not satisfied with 3660.

So far my experience with this motor is pretty good, it's got plenty of legs to get out and stretch

RC Qualifier
    Love to hear that