RC poster

Trashed my Valineon after two hours...

New Slash VXL, two hours in.... not good. I have pictures, but I don't know how to post them...

Trying to figure out if I can rebuild it, or if I need to send it in. Looks like (a lot of) grime got into the motor, and totally shredded the bearing (away from the spur gear side).

RC Competitor
    Your link works.

That looks bad
    I would send it in.

RC Racer
    WOW.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

It looks to me like you severely overheated the motor and toasted the bearings, which caused the rotor to contact the windings, shredding the kevlar? wrap and scraping the neodymium magnet to form the “dust.”

If so, that should not be a warranty matter, but Traxxas may still take care of you.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC poster
    ... thanks for the information. I guess I'll send it in for Traxxas for repair/replacement.

Let me ask you - how do I prevent this in the future? Kind of new to the sport, and I "assumed" I could run a full 2S Lipo (5500 mAh) battery without this happening. I was playing in a gravel area on a 70 degree day, so outside temps shouldn't have played a part here.

Do I bring my IR thermometer with me? What's a "safe" temp?
    Do I get the onboard TQi Link to monitor temps?
    Do I ice down my motor between laps?

RC Enthusiast
    Join the club! My VXL was under 2 hours use and 2 weeks old! Is it QC issues? Different component parts?

No answers on here?

RC Enthusiast
    Personally I have found the XL5 Slash to be a far better machine! 8 months tough, trouble free hard use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugged Out View Post
    Join the club! My VXL was under 2 hours use and 2 weeks old! Is it QC issues? Different component parts?

No answers on here?
    The forums are not a replacement of Traxxas Customer Support. It is full of fellow customers and occasionally an employee will pop in. If you want real CS answers then give Traxxas a call.

To me it looks like an overheat as well. Are you running stock gearing? Using 2s or 3s?
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I will send in the Valineon to Traxxas once - we'll see if they warranty it. If not and it goes out again, I'll upgrade to the Castle motor/ESC package for ~ $100 - people are saying these motors ESCs will do just fine with 2S Lipo batteries with no chance of overheating.

RC poster
    Stock everything out of the box. Running 2S Lipo 5500 mAh.

I gave Traxxas a call - they sent me an RMA - said they don't warranty motors, but replacement via $35. Cheaper than a Castle upgrade, but that's probably my next resort if it happens again.

RC Enthusiast
    New, all stock, 2S lipo and a well ventilated beetle body.

Does the VXL need a cooling fan as standard?

RC Racer
    As mentioned above, give CS a call. Generally, below 160°F is given for max temp.

Were you running the stock pinion or the speed pinion when it failed?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired