RC poster

I need help, best way to fix My E revo 2.0

Hello men and women of the RC world, I am stupid, I left my gear plate off my E Revo 2.0 for while and just notice that my motor wires coming out of my ESC have gotten a bit chewed up. How do I fix this, Don't want to buy a new ESC, don't think I need too, I was reading about soldering the wires and watched a few videos, I have never had to do it before. I was getting a sense that the 10 gauge wire would not take to soldering. But anyway going to try to post some pics and show whomever is willing to help whats going on

RC poster

RC Qualifier
    That's a tough call, if you do it yourself you void the warranty, if you send it in your probably going to be charged a minimum 1/2 price or more for a replacement depending on what their stand is on a non warranty esc (WELL WORTH IT).
    You could take it to a reputable electronics shop and have them replace the wires which still voids the warranty and what they charge or attempt to do it yourself and take your chances. If your iron isn't hot enough you could fry the electronics by prolonged heat to the esc trying to desolder the wires.
    I can tell you from experience the wires on the MM2 and the MMX were not easy to desolder but I had my iron at 850 F and it was fairly quick but I had a cool damp sponge over the esc to help cool it from the heat.
    If you make sure to do one at a time and let things cool down between and your decent at soldering and you don't care about the replacement cost then go for it.
    Call Traxxas and see what they say before you jump in Ebay has replacements for $80.00 US give or take, see what price Traxxas will do then weigh the pro's and con's and make a decision from there. I hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    You could use heat shrink or electrical tape as a temporary fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I say call traxxas, see what they will do for you. See what the cost is. See if cost is worth while to just get a new one, Or do a fix and see how long it lasts. Then replace once it's totally dead.

Looks like one wire is perhaps 1/2 chewed through, other about 1/4.

I have not torn down the esc enough to know if the trx esc you can solder new ends into it, or how hard.. You may not have enough length in the wires to use the stock ones still or would have to get new wires. It can be a pain to desolder and resolder in new wires. took me forever to to get xt90 connectors on to replace my trx connectors to battery, also to replace a bullet connector that melted to esc.

You must have a good enough iron to do it, and the right tips. Also get electrical solder, as it will work better than plumbing solder.

Then do something like prior poster said in keeping esc cool as it will get hot.

Since looks like you have the gps mount. You probably got some speed run data points. Put some electrical tape on and do a run. See if performance dropped due to less current from the bad wires. Track esc currents. Get some data points

My quick fix solution to this would be to cut back some of the insulation and do a solder patch on the wires. Make sure it's all clean with electric motor spray first.

Then wrap up good with electrical tape or disconnect the ecs from motor and slide down some shrink tubing. Harbor freight has a good multi pack of shrink tubes cheap.

Other option is cut wires where the damage is and put on some bullet connectors right there.

Do some speed runs again to gather data points Since u got some data points before fixing. Then you know if fixes helped any.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you are not comfortable soldering that I would find someone who is. Cut the wires right to the edge of the damage and just move your bullet connectors down. If you or whoever's uses heat sink clamps between the ESC and new bullets, and your real quick about it like everybody else said, it might be doable. I'm guessing the rate for a new one under traxxas lifetime warranty is going to be in the 75$ range. It certainly can't hurt to try and fix yours.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with Overpowerxmaxx. If you keep an eye on the wires I think you’ll be ok. I would be surprised if the esc didn’t get damaged when the wires were cut

RC poster
    Thanks for all the advice. I was wondering if Traxxas Covered the ESC even if I didnt buy the E Revo new. I purchased it used. I have the warranty registration card and original packaging. Am I S.O.L. on this or what?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdees357 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I was wondering if Traxxas Covered the ESC even if I didnt buy the E Revo new. I purchased it used. I have the warranty registration card and original packaging. Am I S.O.L. on this or what?
    It's only a phone call to find out and worth a try. If they say no then I would do like nickruger suggested and cut the wires evenly where their chewed up and resolder the bullet caps back on but make sure the motor wires can reach before you try or you defeat the purpose and still have to replace the wires anyway.

RC poster

RC Qualifier
    Glad to see you got it fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Nice job! When there is a will..there is a way!
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM