RC poster

Need help troubleshooting Rustler

Hi,

I bought a Rustler for my kids about 2 years ago. It ran great for over a year and a half.

After that, I noticed that when hitting the throttle, both rear wheels would start to spin, but one would quickly stop spinning. This happened after my son drove it through some water, and we didn't do a good job cleaning it after.

I tried cleaning the Rustler well, but this did not help.

Shortly after this, the battery pack stopped charging properly - the charger would blink red, indicating 'Check Fuse'.

I bought a new battery pack, and with that, the car ran properly again - both wheels spinning as expected.

However, after just two charge cycles, this new battery pack also stopped charging - once again, the charger blinks red.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Did I just get unlucky and have two battery packs fail in quick succession? Or is there an issue with the motor, that is causing the battery packs fail?

Any tips appreciated! Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbrush View Post
    Hi,

I bought a Rustler for my kids about 2 years ago. It ran great for over a year and a half.

After that, I noticed that when hitting the throttle, both rear wheels would start to spin, but one would quickly stop spinning. This happened after my son drove it through some water, and we didn't do a good job cleaning it after.

I tried cleaning the Rustler well, but this did not help.

Shortly after this, the battery pack stopped charging properly - the charger would blink red, indicating 'Check Fuse'.

I bought a new battery pack, and with that, the car ran properly again - both wheels spinning as expected.

However, after just two charge cycles, this new battery pack also stopped charging - once again, the charger blinks red.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Did I just get unlucky and have two battery packs fail in quick succession? Or is there an issue with the motor, that is causing the battery packs fail?

Any tips appreciated! Thanks!
    You can check the differential with the truck in the air. The tires should spin opposite of each other. If they donít, something is damaged. On the battery, if itís a traxxas product, call them for tech support and or warranty

Somehow builds are never done....

RC poster
    Thanks for the response! Noob question - how do I check the differential?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíd check the bearings in the hubs first. Differential is a diss assembly of the rear end. Take everything apart and inspect the gears and bearings for damage.

Somehow builds are never done....

HI AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM..!

Gripdog advices are somehow simple and serviceable (I highly respect this) but if you needs a quick answer of the possible causes of your problem, there are a simple test that it could be perform which can give you the other part of what you are looking for. Ok first of all, for some reasons, it is perfectly normal on a slippery and hard surface that one of the tires will spin longer than the other but by what you described, it appears that it's not exactly your case and I suspect more a problem than a cause of a normal aspect of the mechanical functionality, therefore, to help you to locate the problem it's possible the perform a bearings friction test, all you needs to do this it's to instal the vehicle upside down on a flat surface and then by holding one of the rear wheels with your hand, you just needs to increase the throttle slowly of somewhere inside 1/8 and 1/4 of the tiger movement and release throttle and the wheel at about the same time, so the two wheels will rotate clockwise and counterclockwise but they need to stop spinning exactly at the same time, if it's the case, it is necessary to effectuate the test with the other wheel.

Just have to tell me the result and we will be able to point up where is the problem.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 08-19-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

I believe what Gripdog was saying when he advised you to check the diff by raising the back of the vehicle in the air was this:
    - With one hand, lift back of vehicle so that the rear tires are in the air.
    - Now with your free hand, rotate one tire forward, while watching the other. The other should rotate smoothly in the opposite direction.
    - You should have an equal and opposite result from the other tire, regardless of whether you rotate it backwards or forwards (provided your diff itself is operating correctly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes, absolutely keep your bearings clean and properly lubed. Or buy the Avids for $1 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk