RC Enthusiast

Getting a new Slash 4x4

Hi guys been a loooong time since I've been here, anyways I've been away from the hobby for about seven years and I'm getting a new Slash, I had a really good reliable system in my old one that I could reliably run 3s and 4s with no issues and for the life of me I can't remember what ESC and motor I was running, so what is the new hot budget basher system you guys are running? Thanks in advance
    Traxxas UDR, TRX4 Bronco, TRX4 Sport kit

RC Racer
    WELCOME BACK!
    I think the mamba monster x with 2200 or 2650 is generally preferred. I'm a rusty 2wd guy (they came out with a 4wd while you were gone) so I'm not sure.

Edit:I'll let someone else take over. Not my area of expertise. That's brushed, bone stock fun. And I love it!
    Last edited by Is_It_Broken?; 08-19-2019 at 09:08 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    WELCOME BACK!
    I think the mamba monster x with 2200 or 2650 is generally preferred. I'm a rusty 2wd guy (they came out with a 4wd while you were gone) so I'm not sure.
    Thanks for the reply, that is one system that I remember now but I had a really good budget system I was running in my 4x4, it was a Kershaw or Hobbywing canít remember but it ripped and was really budget friendly. I know Castle is the top dog and I may end up going that route, I was just seeing if something new and budget friendly was available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome back! What model od Slash 4x4 are you going to get? I personally loving the El Sob special 2.0 motor system
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm guessing it's the base model 4x4, it's $379. What is the El Sob special 2.0 motor system?

RC Qualifier
    MMX and 2400kv motor combo from castle creations is a great combo and I believe itís the el sob 2.0 special. Can run 3-4s with no problem.

RC Enthusiast
    I just recently found a MMX and the 2650kv motor I picked up for my slash 4x4. Should be here Thursday, it’s part of my build I’m putting together (check out my thread if you’d like)! Can’t wait for it to all come together. I’m certainly by any means no expert or professional in the business but I can say trying to get ahold of certain Castle ESC and motor combinations may be a challenge. According to 4 different Hobby shops, Castle is having a hard time getting certain parts to build their motors, which I believe since most reputable places (including online) are all backordered with no ETA of new shipments.

Just wanted to give you a heads up before you start wondering why you can’t find anything!

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    MMX and 2400kv motor combo from castle creations is a great combo and I believe it’s the el sob 2.0 special. Can run 3-4s with no problem.
    You are very close! It is the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft motor.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info so far, looks like I'll be waiting to upgrade for a bit, most places Castle stuff is out of stock like an earlier poster replied, no big deal I'll run the crap out of it on 2s til then.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kincer View Post
    Thanks for the info so far, looks like I'll be waiting to upgrade for a bit, most places Castle stuff is out of stock like an earlier poster replied, no big deal I'll run the crap out of it on 2s til then.
    I managed to grab one off eBay from a hobby store in North Jersey. They have a couple left but I will admit they charge about $40 more than regular price. (Guess they know they’re hard to find!). That’s for the 2650 motor. I also know of a hobby store in New York that just received some 2400kv motors. If you want the name of either just send me a PM. not sure if I can post the names on here.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You are very close! It is the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft motor.
    I'm going to get yelled at eventually for this.... They're out of stock everywhere... I WANT ONE BAD!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    I'm going to get yelled at eventually for this.... They're out of stock everywhere... I WANT ONE BAD!!
    A lot of people are waiting - myself included. Not sure how they are staying afloat when each site (including their own) shows a large majority of their product it is on backorder, currently not available, or out of stock. I have a Castle in one truck, VXL in another and both are operating perfectly. But if I need to replace one of them and their "problems" continue then I'll jump ship and find something else. Sad as I have their BEC's, program cards, etc as well.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-21-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    There are several of us for sure. It is a wonder how they're making money without product. I burned up my VXL in my Slash 4x4. I've got two others so I can drive it if I move the motor/esc back and forth but what a pain. I've been looking around but don't know enough about combos and what brands are truly quality.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Enthusiast
    So I was all set to buy another Slash 4x4 today at the local shop and was looking at the UDRs and the guy behind the counter said the light kit comes free with purchase of new UDR, so the Slash is gonna wait, came home with the new UDR.

The UDR is an awesome machine but a very different beast entirely.

RC Racer
    I have a velineon setup in one, and the MMX/2650 in another. I picked up the MMX for $150 on amazon and got the castle motor on ebay for $65. I bought a Hobbywing max8 and 2650 motor coming tomorrow to drop into the velineon ride so i'll be able to let you know what I think of that. That combo is $179 on Amain and they had a 15% off coupon that put it back there after Arkansas sales tax, so for the money the hobbywing def was better, and it comes with the program card for free. I did the extra whatever it was to get the castle programming card but haven't used it. Running the Castle at 18/54 and the velineon at 15/54 I hit the same speed on 3s (50 mph on badlands and a stock body in a short distance) and bashing with the velineon at 13/54 doing lots of speed runs up and down an asphalt road I saw temps at 180 on the velineon and 120 on the castle. I'm swapping the velineon truck over to take the abuse and run cooler for sure. I will prob keep the hobbywing slash on sand paws for mud/water fun so I figured that would be better on it too running 17 or 19/54 (bought a 17-21t pinion set, using the 18 in the castle truck already). I may step up and run some 4s to see what kind of speeds I can get but for now I like that I can bash the crap outta the truck and it stays cool under my whiskey throttle style of bashing hahahahahaha.

RC Enthusiast
    I will be getting another Slash soon though, just couldn't resist the UDR today lol

RC Qualifier
    Thank goodness castle stuff is chronically out of stock. It forced me to embrace the vxl-6 and I’ve made it work with sl4sh and rustl4r and it’s a freaking tragedy not more people utilize this esc motor combo in 1/10 traxxas cars and instead keep waiting for castle vapor ware. Ebay chop shops sell the UDR version with the 4s plug for 200 both both esc and motor, all day long
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 09-20-2019 at 08:33 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Thank goodness castle stuff is chronically out of stock. It forced me to embrace the vxl-6 and Iíve made it work with sl4sh and rustl4r and itís a freaking tragedy not more people utilize this esc motor combo in 1/10 traxxas cars and instead keep waiting for castle vapor ware. Ebay chop shops sell the UDR version with the 4s plug for 200 both both esc and motor, all day long
    Yeah Iíd def look at that as an option, look at jennysrc.com too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Thatís a good deal, even if shipping costs ten bucks or something for the weight, thatís still less than ebay piece meal.

I read it somewhere here when someone said that the vxl 6s esc and motor should have been the power plant for the slash ultimate and I agree. Though I imagine itís not for the average rtr buyer who arenít comfortable with breaking the car down every week and maintain the driveline stuff that will break under the 4-6s power.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    That’s a good deal, even if shipping costs ten bucks or something for the weight, that’s still less than ebay piece meal.

I read it somewhere here when someone said that the vxl 6s esc and motor should have been the power plant for the slash ultimate and I agree. Though I imagine it’s not for the average rtr buyer who aren’t comfortable with breaking the car down every week and maintain the driveline stuff that will break under the 4-6s power.
    Yeah that is the only thing I don't know about this motor combo, I don't know that I want to drop to a 2200kv, I figure I'd need more voltage to get the speeds up and keep the temps happy. I like the 3s/2650kv combo in the castle truck, and will hopefully get the hobbywing setup in my truck Monday to try it on 3s as well. I'm already thinking I need a 1/8 setup for the backslash even though I haven't got it fully assembled yet hahahahaha.