RC Racer

Headlights flicker

Hey guys,
    I just made a light bar for the front of my 8s x-maxx and when i steer the lights dim. Anyone have ideas on how to fix/mitigate this ?

I thought of a BEC firstly, but i'm not finding cheap BEC's that will work with 8s and besides i would prefer a more simple solution

Thanks..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod15 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I just made a light bar for the front of my 8s x-maxx and when i steer the lights dim. Anyone have ideas on how to fix/mitigate this ?

I thought of a BEC firstly, but i'm not finding cheap BEC's that will work with 8s and besides i would prefer a more simple solution

Thanks..
    Whatís the lights input voltage range. You could use a 9volt battery.
    Remember you get what you pay for, cheap is usually not good, and good is not usually cheap

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Racer
    They're 3v led's in pairs, ideally i would like to power them off the receiver directly and not an additionnal power source tho..

Could i plug a bec in before the series connector to have only 4s power ? If so, is that a good idea ? I feel like it would drain one battery faster than the other and could be dangerous. I do have a max 5 that i could up the lipo cut off on if thats the solution ?
    Last edited by Demigod15; 08-20-2019 at 10:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I use this for a bec.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it will take 6s or 8s and drop it to 12v and give you 60 watts to play with.

there are a LOT more 12v LEDs to choose from then 6v, or 3v.

RC Qualifier
    A simple solution is to install an external bec, you will not notice any power draw from an individual battery. The bec connects to the pos and neg of the esc and then connects to your light kit or if it works from a switch on your tx then run a bypass with just signal and ground to the rx. If you decide on a bec I would run the one I list below but you will want the Castle link so you can adjust voltage if you choose.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ac...or-010-0153-00

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    A simple solution is to install an external bec, you will not notice any power draw from an individual battery. The bec connects to the pos and neg of the esc and then connects to your light kit or if it works from a switch on your tx then run a bypass with just signal and ground to the rx. If you decide on a bec I would run the one I list below but you will want the Castle link so you can adjust voltage if you choose.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ac...or-010-0153-00
    Thatís the one I have. Itís pretty awesome

RC Racer
    So could i then get a 4s capable bec and hook it up to only one battery ? And if i do that is it possible to plug the bec into the receiver (and remove the power from the esc plug) or am i better off powering just the led's ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So could i then get a 4s capable bec and hook it up to only one battery ? And if i do that is it possible to plug the bec into the receiver (and remove the power from the esc plug) or am i better off powering just the led's ?
    It would be connected to your battery? Bad idea. Just connect it as specified, yes it feeds your receiver, just have to cut the existing power wire from the esc to receiver connection.

RC Racer
    Yeah i'm trying to get around needing an 8s capable BEC that costs more. I'm wondering if there are ways to connect it to just one of the batteries, allowing me to use a 4s capable BEC like the castle 10a.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah i'm trying to get around needing an 8s capable BEC that costs more. I'm wondering if there are ways to connect it to just one of the batteries, allowing me to use a 4s capable BEC like the castle 10a.
    Dude, youíve got an X-Maxx, save and buy something worth buying. Since the X-Maxx uses 2 batteries, your plan is flawed. 50 bills on a 900 dollar truck seems reasonable

RC Racer
    Anyone else ?

RC Qualifier
    I'm with Gripdog, pay to play. Do it now or do it later but it's a pretty cheap fix for what you want.

RC Racer
    I just dont think its worth 50$ to power 2$ worth of lights, and therefor am looking for alternate solutions, i'm not cheap i'm just trying to go over every option before putting more money into the truck

RC Qualifier
    If you want to run a seperate mini 2s lipo battery as an alternative, I've installed one in my tx and have had no problems for 9 months, check it out in this thread.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...OOTH-RADIO-SET

RC Racer
    I just dont think its worth 50$ to power 2$ worth of lights, and therefor am looking for alternate solutions, i'm not cheap i'm just trying to go over every option before putting more money into the truck

But is it worth the headache?

RC Qualifier
    You double posted the same thing and I did give you a cheap option to connect to a 3rd battery that you can recharge or even cheaper like gripdog suggested use a 9 volt battery, not sure what more can be offered.

RC Racer
    Yeah my bad the double post was a mistake, thanks for the help anyway

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Fair enough

RC Racer
    Hey guys,

Thanks..
    You could look into adding a capacitor to the RX, something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-HD-RX...cAAOSwB-1Y5h~g

Not sure if it'd work but it'd be cheap enough to try. Just make sure whatever capacitor you get is compatible with your RX.

Good luck.

RC Racer
    Huh okay yeah that's interesting

Thanks for the suggestion maybe i'll try that out..