RC poster

Question 4x4 Wheeler for my son

Hi! Sorry, I'm not sure if it's the correct brunch for this thread but I need your help! My son is getting 9 and he is asking for an ATV. He's saying that radio control car is not enough for him, he wants to drive! I'm thinking of a gas one that can drive for a long distance with no recharging every hour like electric does. I need one with solid frame, thick tires, and speed remote control. Any suggestions?

I don't think Traxxas makes quads...LOL.

You might find a random person here that also knows about quads but you'll probably get much more help on a quad forum or your local dealer.

RC Qualifier
    I would sugest taking him into a lhs to look at some of the rc's Traxxas has to offer like the Xmaxx. Watching you tube videos is ok but to see this thing in person is amazing. The proximity from where you live to where you can ride an ATV and the time scheduling might mean less riding. The rc's require some room and a descent charger with a couple extra batteries charging from your vehicle shortens down time.
    Not trying to discourage the ATV, both have different levels of fun and boils down to time constraints. If you can't truck or trailer him to drive his ATV until the weekend but he can run his rc in the back yard or the park with supervision after school or after dinner then it's about sacrificing and time. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I would sugest taking him into a lhs to look at some of the rc's Traxxas has to offer like the Xmaxx. Watching you tube videos is ok but to see this thing in person is amazing. The proximity from where you live to where you can ride an ATV and the time scheduling might mean less riding. The rc's require some room and a descent charger with a couple extra batteries charging from your vehicle shortens down time.
    Not trying to discourage the ATV, both have different levels of fun and boils down to time constraints. If you can't truck or trailer him to drive his ATV until the weekend but he can run his rc in the back yard or the park with supervision after school or after dinner then it's about sacrificing and time. Just my 2 cents.
    Good points!

Plus, 135,000 people are injured on quads each year with 700 deaths, 1/3 being children under 16...something to consider as well.

I can't imaging him finding the Traxxas cars boring! Some are uncontrollably fast stock...then there's modifying that can take them to a ludicrisly dangerous level...

Get him an E-Revo or Rustler 4x4 and build some ramps with him, when/if that's not enough...start modding the car or go for an X-Maxx.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Good points!

Plus, 135,000 people are injured on quads each year with 700 deaths, 1/3 being children under 16...something to consider as well.

I can't imaging him finding the Traxxas cars boring! Some are uncontrollably fast stock...then there's modifying that can take them to a ludicrisly dangerous level...

Get him an E-Revo or Rustler 4x4 and build some ramps with him, when/if that's not enough...start modding the car or go for an X-Maxx.
    Your spot on with your post. With the Traxxas link app you can tune the speed and power and adjust as ability increases and never a dull moment. His learning with the tinkering and fixing rc's will help with everyday tasks as he gets older.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich332 View Post
    He's saying that radio control car is not enough for him, he wants to drive!
    Out of curiosity, what kind of cars has he been running?

I'm 53, and have had fast cars all my life...mostly 70-71 Cudas and Challengers...now a 2019 Charger with 485HP...and the Traxxas cars still give quite a thrill! I can't really imagine a 9 year old (Or any age) being bored with these things.

Also, what is the area where you live like? Is it city, suburban or country? My thoughts are that like Rain Dawg mentioned, the RC will have more available places to run than the ATV no matter where you live, but the more urban the area the more this will apply..

Any suggestions?

Any updates as to what you decided?

I'm thinking of a gas one that can drive for a long distance with no recharging every hour like electric does.
    Nitro and gas powered still have a battery pack to power the electronics and depending on the size still last about an hour.

If you want a gas one then you'll be looking at a 1/5 and for the price it won't cost much more to get a used 50-100cc ATV.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-23-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    The Super Derecho

I just realized they posted the question then never came back!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I just realized they posted the question then never came back!
    Maybe he bought both and he's on bed rest after the wife found out lol.