RC Qualifier

Revo build teething problems

Right now considering this was a complete rebuild and my first Traxxas itís gone pretty well, Iíve had 5 packs through it with minimal issues.

Wonder if the longer running E Revo 2.0 owners can help with these issues

1) well this has turned into a big issue but didnít happen on the first 1-2 packs (if my theory is right it could be down to me getting a grips with the car and not going all out)

Every few mins the car will cut out, loose motion but still have steering. Now Iím running a Castle MMX which I can just about hear bleep a fault code but cannot make it out and further more after a few secs it comes back to life. This is happens on a full pack down to a low pack.

I suspect it might be a LVC issue and the batteries canít cope, I am running a Castle cap pack and stock Traxxas 3S 5000mah.

A friend was there who had a pair of Gen Ace 3S so we fitted them and it ran for a good 5-10 mins so I thought issue located but then it happened again but not again after that until the pack died.

So initial thoughts are I need a higher C rated pack but shock the Gen Aceís has a issue as they tend to be will regarded?!

2) have a squeak on rear when compressing the suspension, itís quite a strong squeak and canít see it being air in the shocks as for me thatís a different type of sound, this is almost plastic rubbing together!

3) maybe a silly one but just something I picked up while looking and comparing the squeak, I have 100k front and rear diffs, with no sign of leaking and no roughness but the front wheels spin a slightly bit more easily then the rear?
    Could this be an issue? Thinking maybe they are bedding in?

In my mind I canít think why theyíd be different but itís something Iíve never checked before so maybe normal?

I am running the Revo slightly nose down so maybe the additional angle on the drive shafts are causing some more resistance!

No bad noise or rubbing so donít particularly wonít to strip down as of yet!

Other then that the thing flies ands a dream around my local dirt track.

RC Qualifier
    possibly a bad fan on the esc and its hitting thermal protection?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    possibly a bad fan on the esc and its hitting thermal protection?
    Iíve ruled that out as temp gun had it around 105 and the fact it kicks itself back into life within a few secs but like you my initial thought was heat related.

I wouldn't worry about the diff discrepancy if you aren't having any performance or heat issues. For the squeaking I would try loosening up the pillow balls and see if the squeak stops. As far as the ESC, could be a firmware issue or a BEC issue. I have one monster x that is a few years old that will turn of mid run for no apparent reason. I have tested every possible physical component and it is for sure the ESC. I have to send it in for a diagnosis. Do you run an external BEC? I know you have those big fans and a strong servo, could be stressing out the built in BEC. It's also possible you got a dud. That has been reported recently on some other forums I'm a member of by some users who definitely know their stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Right sorted squeak out, it was as simple as the hollow ball in the arm.

Pulled up my data logs and as Iím new to this Iím struggling to break it down! I was hoping it would store fault code data rather then just graph it.

Anyways my ripple is an average of 0.02v but I had a leak of 2.89v (little high I believe)

Current peaked at 131.3a

Motor didnít go above 94 and typically sat at 73
    ESC average 108 but had a peak of 134

All advice welcome

RC Qualifier
    1. I think you gotta hear your beep code. It almost sounds like Rick's issue. But your not on a trx esc.. did you replace the rx? Pretty sure your running different tx. Someone who uses your same esc would have to chime in.

2. Sqeek is probably the pins in the a arms. Dry lube helps.

3. Probably doesn't matter at all. Without a tear down to see if fluid is still full in the diffs. Probably just the way things are. And not worth a tear down unless car acts funny.

Glad your having fun with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You will get there SC11! Acidic01 is correct your ESC issues sounds just like what I had going on for the most part with the shutting down...but I was on Traxxas Vxl-6s. Traxxas never confirmed what was bad about my ESCs just that they were bad and replaced with a new one. Reach out to Phildogg on here reference to tour ripple current...he can advise what you should be at. Tour a smart dude...you will track down the issue for sure.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys

As said the squeak is sorted, as for the diff I just think I’m worrying too much and it runs smooth.

I’m running Futaba Rx - MMX - 1515

I do feel I need to change out the batteries but what a mind field that it!

SMC are highly rated on here but not available to me and the likes of ******* graphene just don’t fit...

HRB now do a graphene option rated at 100c constant but very little feedback out there

RC Qualifier
    Here is one idea for the shutting down.

Unplug motor coolers and any other extras you may have.

Then see if car does the same thing.

Start plugging in items on my one to see what is the issue.

No idea of you servo needs a Bec.

My thoughts is perhaps a add-on is giving you issues.

See if there is a way to reproduce the issue close enough you may hear the the error code the ecs giving you.

Since had no issue at first then a issue started.

Perhaps check all connectors from battery to esc and motor, and add-ons perhaps something is loose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Keeping it on one topic

LVC was set higher but as I wanted to reset the MMX just to confirm it wasn’t an issue I had set up it reverted it back to the default 3.2v

First ever run was fine but then I didn’t give it the beans while running it in, the issue happed on my 2nd, 3rd and 4th battery pack runs, the 6th run was on a set of Gen Ace’s and the issue only happened once through the whole pack! For reference on the Traxxas 3S’s it was happening 5-8 times per pack from start to finish.

MMX has an 8a BEC can’t see that having any impact as it’s only really the servo those fan pull 0.2-0.4 at most