RC Competitor

Wheel+tire issues

After a few battery packs in the snow outside my house today I noticed that when I got over 1/2 throttle the left front wheel would lift off of the ground and then start bouncing up and down almost like the wheel was improperly weighted. Is there a fix for this and more importantly how do I prevent it next time? Thanks

Wheel+tire issues

Yep, remove the snow from the wheel and/or the water from the tire.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    I had the same thing happen to me, noticed on the track after running on snow. My LHS recommended I drilled 4 holes 90 from each other on the tire, carefully not to damage the wheels, so the water could come out. I was skeptical at first, but it worked great

RC Competitor
    Did It and tires are perfect now, thanks ksb51rl and m3rcfh!

RC Qualifier
    Hrmm I was experiencing the same issues... thanks all...

RC poster
    How big are the holes being drilled? I ran in the snow and water yesterday and when I squeeze the tires I get water spraying out of the drain holes in the wheel. Hope drilling holes in the tire will help.

Small philips screwdriver size.
    The Super Derecho

I use a 1/8" drill bit in my dremel with very light pressure to more melt a hole than cut one. If I can, I put the hole in the center of a lug so there's more rubber around it. You want the holes in the center line of the tire. You really only need 2, 180 from each other on opposing sides of the tires.

After running in wet conditions and before putting the truck away, slowly run it up to full speed somewhere dry. The centrifugal force will spin the water out of the holes in the tires as you get up to speed. Do a few passes to get as much out as you can, but if there's a lot of water, don't overdo it or you will just damage the truck/arm/shock/tire. Just ramp the speed up as you make a few passes. Doesn't usually take long.

Been putting holes in all my tires for many years for this purpose. I rarely run in dirt/sand, but I do run in wet grass, snow, puddles at the skate parks quite frequently.

If you run in dirt/sand a lot, then use a smaller bit, then less junk gets in the tires.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Is anyone having issues with shredding tires? It seems like every time I go out I get at least one tear in a tire or shred a tire. I really don't want to be buying new tires for every outing. I really like the Talon EXT 2.8" tires for handling and grip, but are there any other alternatives that will last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by rob95368 View Post
    Is anyone having issues with shredding tires? It seems like every time I go out I get at least one tear in a tire or shred a tire. I really don't want to be buying new tires for every outing. I really like the Talon EXT 2.8" tires for handling and grip, but are there any other alternatives that will last longer?
    You running 2S or 3S?

I run trencher 2.8's on my stampede 4x4 with 3S and they do fine. Geared around 45-50mph.

RC poster
    Always 3S lipos using factory gearing and usually on grass, which is pretty grippy.

RC Racer
    Welcome to the forum!
    Try controlling your left index finger. After that, gear down a little. As a bonus, this helps temps as well.

You could also increase the diff fluid weight. That would at least help when you have one side in the air to slow it down some and transfer the power to the other tire.

I run a center diff in my stampede, so the front diffs out a bit, but made it way easier to drive hard with 3S in it.