Thread: Monster slash

RC Enthusiast

Monster slash

I'm thinking of building a monster slash out of my slash ultimate I was wondering what it consists of and if anyone races them on a off road track loose sand thank you

Don't know if there are any sanctioned (or unsanctioned) monster RC races, but, as for what's needed, I can give you a great start...the JConcepts 2477 Suspension Conversion Set. It include all the necessary JConcepts parts, as well as a list of necessary Traxxas parts, and a list of suggested wheels, tires, and bodies. Better yet, the suspension kit can be used on several vehicles besides the Slash 4x4...but, it IS ONLY for 4x4 vehicles, NOT 2WD vehicles.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    This is the link I used as a general guide to convert my sons 2wd slash into a monster slash. It’s nothing crazy by any means. Bigger wheels and tires, lifted body mounts, some body trimming, and correct gearing to compensate for the larger tires.

https://traxxas.com/news/monster-slash-conversion

RC Competitor
    Our club, BAC Traxx, is the only club in the province of Ontario (that I know of) that still has a Monster Tuck racing category, both indoors and out.
    I raced my little 4x4 Stampede last year but have converted my 4x4 Slash to a Monster Truck for this upcoming winter’s series.
    Our rules are simple: It must have monster truck tires and 2S batteries max.
    As far as the conversion to MT: I just put monster truck tires on, decided to use an E-MAXX body, put Stampede bumpers front & back and hacked the body posts to fit… It’s a simple transition!
    JES

RC Enthusiast
    Yea we don't have any rules at the track we run at just didn't know if the monster slash ran be better

RC Qualifier
    Here is my jconcepts monster truck conversion, with jconcepts wheels and Renegade tires. I used GTR rear shocks on the f/r. This truck can take a beating. The body is from the axial smt10. It's a really fun truck to drive.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

MaxDee, that's exactly the JConcepts kit I was suggesting for Zins48 to get, complete with the rear GTRs all around. Honestly, I haven't installed it on my Slash 4x4, yet (I will be, along with a Toyota Tundra SCT body), but I have installed it on one of my Rustler 4x4s, converting it to a "true" 4WD stadium truck (be on the lookout for a new thread, within the 'Rustler 4x4' section, hopefully within the next month).

RC Qualifier
    That jconcepts kit truly transforms the Slash. It drives like a completely different truck. I set everything up Kerr jconcepts instructions, and it drives like a dream. The suspension is very plush and soaks up every bump and jump you can throw at it. It is a super fun truck to drive. I did upgrade the hex inserts to the 25 mm aluminum on the wheels. I started to strip out the plastic inserts. It's a good upgrade. I found that no matter what wheel nuts I run, they always work themselves loose and a tire will go rolling across the ground just like in Monster Jam. It's quite funny actually. A little blue Loctite on the threads, and you're good to go.

It's not cheap to get everything for the truck, but I feel it's well worth the money.

RC Qualifier
    As i can see on that pictures, chassis is is not stock. Do you have slipper or center diff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    As i can see on that pictures, chassis is is not stock. Do you have slipper or center diff?

That's true. MaxDee, you running the Shining Star SSC8 chassis? If not, what chassis is it?

RC Qualifier
    I'm running an strc aluminum chassis ( although a stock chassis is fine). I already had the chassis before the monster truck project was even a thought. I'm running a center diff. 30k in the front, 100K in the center, and 10K in the rear. I didn't want my truck to be a wheelie machine, and that it is not. With the 30k in the front, it pulls harder making it feel more like a front-wheel drive. This suits my driving style as if the truck gets a little wonky it's easier to save the truck from flipping over by mashing the throttle and having the front tires pull, similar to how my good friends Tom Meents or Neil Elliott would do.

I'm running a 4000kv Tekin pro4 motor. It's geared 54 / 9, and I only run it on 2s lipo, which is more than enough. The truck is VERY torquey in the low end, has great mid-range punch and surprisingly has decent top end speed.

The only thing I've broken so far on this truck is a right rear stub axle. I came down hard off of a jump and landed on the right rear wheel.

Funny...the one part I've broken on my Rusty 4x4 is the right-rear stub axle. Anyway, I was looking for that STRC aluminum chassis conversion kit, but they discontinued it. Most of the individual parts can still be purchased as 'replacement' parts, but the kit went awol. I considered the Shining Star SSC8 kit, but I'm not 100% convinced. With I could find a seller with a new/unused complete STRC chassis kit.

RC Qualifier
    MaxDee, are you running stock or upgraded center diff?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    MaxDee, are you running stock or upgraded center diff?

Stock Center diff, xo1 or Revo front and rear diffs.( I don't remember which) The front and rear diffs have the little I-bar in the middle. Having the ibar in the diff is highly recommended

RC Qualifier
    I think the slash 4 x 4 front and rear diffs come with the i-bar in them now. They never used to

I'm asking this question as a relative newbie and mostly out of ignorance and curiosity...why build something like that over buying an X-Maxx?
    To me it changes the Slash (Which I do not have.) into kind of an X-Maxx similar to the way the E-Revo/Summit chassis is.

I'm not much of a modder so maybe that alone explains my questioning....but I'm still curious.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I'm asking this question as a relative newbie and mostly out of ignorance and curiosity...why build something like that over buying an X-Maxx?
    To me it changes the Slash (Which I do not have.) into kind of an X-Maxx similar to the way the E-Revo/Summit chassis is.

I'm not much of a modder so maybe that alone explains my questioning....but I'm still curious.
    When my Slash was a slash, I raced it at my local track. I got out of racing and it sat collecting dust for over a year. When I heard about the J concepts conversion set up, I was intrigued. I figured why let a good Slash go to waste. I had already upgraded the drivetrain so it was just a matter of buying the suspension pack, Wheels, tires, and the axial Max-D body. It was a lot cheaper to convert my existing slash, then to go buy an x Maxx. I got everything to convert the truck for about $250

RC Qualifier
    You don't have to be a modder to do this type of conversion. Everything bolts on in the stock location. It took me about an hour to do the entire conversion.

RC Qualifier
    Another cool thing is with a powered screwdriver, I could convert it back to the slash Short Course Truck in about 10 minutes. One thing I discovered when I did this one time, is the truck handles much better having rear shocks in the front. I wish I had known that back when I was racing the truck at my local track.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    You don't have to be a modder to do this type of conversion. Everything bolts on in the stock location. It took me about an hour to do the entire conversion.

I think I'm even less of a modder than that! LOL

My approach is to just get a different vehicle for different driving rather than convert from one type to another....that gets expensive too though.

OTOH, I do plan on going a bit scale crazy with the Defender and Maybe...maybe with the UDR...I haven't even hooked up a battery in either one yet!

I knew the Defender was going to be a scale shelf queen, but until I unboxed the UFR, I had plans to run the heck out of it! When I saw all it's detail I stepped back and now cannot decide which way to go with it.

RC Qualifier
    Throw some 2.8 Proline Trenchers on it, and get an Emaxx body. Done. Cheap monster truck