Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    21

    Traxx Too Tall For Snowplow?

    Fall is fast approaching and there will be snow on the ground before we know it so I'm looking into getting the RC4WD V-Plow for my defender with Traxx. I'm wondering if the Traxx make the truck too tall for snowplows? Or do most of the plows on the market go low enough to compensate for that? It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to use tires to plow snow. I just want it to be pretty effortless with plowing.

    I think I read somewhere that Traxxas may be developing a snowplow of their own... Any truth to that?

    Also any advice with setting up the servos with the channels would be much appreciated. I haven't really worked out how that would work yet.

    Thanks!
    TRX-4 Land Rover
    X-Maxx 8S
    LaTrax Alias

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,527
    I don't think they will. You might have to do a little modification to get the whole mess right, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

    Haven't heard of Traxxas coming out with a snow plow, but given Traxxas' recent release history, nothing would surprise me.

    Here is the plow from RC4WD, the last to pictures are the plow mounted on a TRX4...

    https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Super-...ed_p_5819.html
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    5,641
    I've heard rumors of a plow from Traxxas from a few different people, so who knows. I've seen a TRX-4 with an RC4WD plow so I know it's possible.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    21
    Any idea how to use a servo/channel for turning the plow?
    TRX-4 Land Rover
    X-Maxx 8S
    LaTrax Alias

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,527
    Quote Originally Posted by justinj360 View Post
    Any idea how to use a servo/channel for turning the plow?
    It depends on if you are planning on using an aftermarket radio, or the stock TQi.

    You'll need two channels, one for raising and lowering, and the other for turning the plow. The whole mess would be fairly easy using one of my Spektrum DX5 radios, would just need two free channels. If the TQi was my only option I would ditch the locking diffs and 2-speed transmission, you'll want low-speed and locked diffs when you are plowing, so neither would be a loss. I would use transmission select for the raise/lower function, and the diff-lock control for the direction (left/middle/right). Another option would be to get a cheap TX (like a Flysky), and use that just for running the plow.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    It depends on if you are planning on using an aftermarket radio, or the stock TQi.

    You'll need two channels, one for raising and lowering, and the other for turning the plow. The whole mess would be fairly easy using one of my Spektrum DX5 radios, would just need two free channels. If the TQi was my only option I would ditch the locking diffs and 2-speed transmission, you'll want low-speed and locked diffs when you are plowing, so neither would be a loss. I would use transmission select for the raise/lower function, and the diff-lock control for the direction (left/middle/right). Another option would be to get a cheap TX (like a Flysky), and use that just for running the plow.
    I'll be using the stock TQi. I'd actually be using a winch to control the up and down movement so I'd just need a channel for turning it side to side. I'm using the RC4WD super duty plow btw. So do the diffs stay locked if you unplug them then?
    TRX-4 Land Rover
    X-Maxx 8S
    LaTrax Alias

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,527
    Quote Originally Posted by justinj360 View Post
    I'll be using the stock TQi. I'd actually be using a winch to control the up and down movement so I'd just need a channel for turning it side to side. I'm using the RC4WD super duty plow btw. So do the diffs stay locked if you unplug them then?
    I think they will stay locked, but I am not 100% for sure. Both of my TRX4s no longer have selectable diffs, one has spools and the other runs open. Recommend unplugging the servos and make sure they do stay locked. If nothing else, you could always use zip-ties to lock the servo horns in place.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •