Do y'all drill holes in your tires to let water out?

I have an X-Maxx, E-Revo 2.0 and 1/16th Revo VXL... and I've not done this to any tires.... yet.

If so, how many? How big?

Pics?

Thanks!
    If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.

RC Qualifier
    I shredded more then one tire from water inside and since doing this I haven't had any issues, just make sure you tape the vent holes in the rims after you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I shredded more then one tire from water inside and since doing this I haven't had any issues, just make sure you tape the vent holes in the rims after you do this.
    Thanks for the input!

Why tape the vent hole on the rim?

And do you drill 2 holes, 180 degrees apart? I've seen some guys do 4, 90 degrees apart.
    If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.

RC Qualifier
    You tape the vent holes so the tire still acts like the factory install, it compresses and reinflates as needed, sorry I should of mentioned this in my first post yes I put 4 holes in at 90 deg apart and burn them through with the soldering iron.

RC Qualifier
    The best thing to do is drill four holes evenly spaced in the center of the tread of the tire and when your tires start to expand the water will be forced out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    This is actually highly recommended to vent certain tires by one of the best rc tire manufacturer's producing tires today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2ung1R4e8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USPrpa2loc0
    https://support.prolineracing.com/p-...les-in-my-tire
    https://www.rccaraction.com/pro-line...venting-video/
    Last edited by Double G; 08-24-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Removed quoted spam

Putting holes in your tires make sense, but I wonder why RC tires don't come with holes in the tire from the factory.

P.S. assets # 9
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Do y'all drill holes in your tires to let water out?

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Putting holes in your tires make sense, but I wonder why RC tires don't come with holes in the tire from the factory.

P.S. assets # 9
    I know JConcepts GLocs do come vented.

Somehow builds are never done....

When I have tire failures, I always strip them apart and see what the foam looks like. I have seen debates over the years as to what is best to prevent tire shredding. I have tried three methods:

The first was to make holes 90 apart from each other on the tire and seal off the vent holes in the rim.

The second was to make holes 90 apart from each other on the tire and don't seal off the rim vent holes.

Thirdly was to make the tire as air tight as possible.

The first two methods resulted in tire foam destruction and sidewall degradation.

The third method preserved the foams and prevented the sidewalls of the tires from circumferential slits.

What was happening with the first two methods, was the tire was venting so much that it allowed the wheel rim edges to come in contact and start breaking down the sidewalls internally and ultimately leading to premature sidewall failure.

The first two methods if you like to jump a lot, are a bad idea. The third method with bead-lock rims seems to be the ticket when it comes to longevity of tires from an internal observational standpoint.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-24-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added information.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

Has anyone tried filling tires with that expandable spray in foam instead of the foam donuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    When I have tire failures, I always strip them apart and see what the foam looks like. I have seen debates over the years as to what is best to prevent tire shredding. I have tried three methods:

The first was to make holes 90 apart from each other on the tire and seal off the vent holes in the rim.

The second was to make holes 90 apart from each other on the tire and don't seal off the rim vent holes.

Thirdly was to make the tire as air tight as possible.

The first two methods resulted in tire foam destruction and sidewall degradation.

The third method preserved the foams and prevented the sidewalls of the tires from circumferential slits.

What was happening with the first two methods, was the tire was venting so much that it allowed the wheel rim edges to come in contact and start breaking down the sidewalls internally and ultimately leading to premature sidewall failure.

The first two methods if you like to jump a lot, are a bad idea. The third method with bead-lock rims seems to be the ticket when it comes to longevity of tires from an internal observational standpoint.
    I have to say, Fluz, that I have always done your 3rd method, and I too have never had a problem. I jump, but not to extreme. The reason why I went your 3rd method way (many years ago) was to keep the dirt and water out of my foam. What I do is cover my rim holes with small pieces of Scotch brand electrical tape. It seals up my wheels, but also acts like a fuse if my wheel needs to let air out quickly due to a super hard impact.

Some guys say that the tire holes also keep tires from ballooning, but what I do (and many others too) is I Gorilla tape the inside of my tires, and wrap shipping tape on the outside perimeter of my foams. This (for me anyway) really minimizes ballooning without having to put holes in my tires.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.

I have to say, Fluz, that I have always done your 3rd method, and I too have never had a problem. I jump, but not to extreme. The reason why I went your 3rd method way (many years ago) was to keep the dirt and water out of my foam. What I do is cover my rim holes with small pieces of Scotch brand electrical tape. It seals up my wheels, but also acts like a fuse if my wheel needs to let air out quickly due to a super hard impact.

Some guys say that the tire holes also keep tires from ballooning, but what I do (and many others too) is I Gorilla tape the inside of my tires, and wrap shipping tape on the outside perimeter of my foams. This (for me anyway) really minimizes ballooning without having to put holes in my tires.

It took me over $1500 of mistakes of rim/tire combinations to figure out why my tires were failing. Once I figured out that they were failing from the inside first, I figured the best way to prevent that was to prevent anything from getting in at all.

On my bead-locks, I use clear silicone around the beads before I secure clamp them down with the ring. This prevents anything from getting past the actual bead seal; yet is still easily taken apart without destroying the actual tire bead.

I do tape my tires from the inside, going first from bead to bead across and then make my two circumferential passes around the inside diameter of the tire. This criss-cross pattern has proven tough and I even make two passes of tape around the rims.

The tire is completely air-tight and no sidewall degradation from the inside or outside occurs because pancaking of the tire cannot take place. It took me forever to figure out that the pancaking of the tires (even semi-hard rubber) was causing the problems because of over-venting.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Has anyone tried filling tires with that expandable spray in foam instead of the foam donuts?
    Not sure I would ever try this lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c60VzYavlFk

RC Qualifier
    ReglarGuy and Flux Capacitor both make a lot of sense and your R&D is very much appreciated. I originally vented mine because of the shredding of the stock Xmaxx tires from water. After I fixed my ripped tires with loc-tite 404, taped the tires inside and plugged the vents I have to say they have been awesome. Not sure how many of the forum readers understand how much water we get in a single year, except for the Washington and Oregeon rc'ers which is pretty much the same as here on the Island. If we don't run in wet conditions we would never get to run and we can hydro plane over a 100ft on some patches of our 5 acres usually from October to March. I have yet to see the foam inside the tires and probably won't until the tires themselves are toast and need to be completely replaced. I do have a set of MX43 still in the package waiting for the stock to give up but so far I like what both of you have had to say and will give your methods a try.

ReglarGuy and Flux Capacitor both make a lot of sense and your R&D is very much appreciated. I originally vented mine because of the shredding of the stock Xmaxx tires from water. After I fixed my ripped tires with loc-tite 404, taped the tires inside and plugged the vents I have to say they have been awesome. Not sure how many of the forum readers understand how much water we get in a single year, except for the Washington and Oregeon rc'ers which is pretty much the same as here on the Island. If we don't run in wet conditions we would never get to run and we can hydro plane over a 100ft on some patches of our 5 acres usually from October to March. I have yet to see the foam inside the tires and probably won't until the tires themselves are toast and need to be completely replaced. I do have a set of MX43 still in the package waiting for the stock to give up but so far I like what both of you have had to say and will give your methods a try.

Unlike your situation, water wasn't my problem causing the tire failures. The tire being squeezed between the rim and ground was my problem. When this occurred on my tire/rim setups, it led to tire failure from within. Although water does cause tire failure from within, the tire being sandwiched between the ground and wheel rims edge in my case ultimately led to premature tire failure as well.

In the beginning, I didn't understand why I was having tire failures at the sidewalls (since I didn't run in water) until I filmed one of my outings in super slow motion and could actually see the wheel rims were the cause because of the flattening out motion of the tire through over ventilation when it hit bumps or landing from jumps.

When the tire collapses like that (from over ventilation) it stresses the sidewalls significantly just from flattening out and actual contact made by the wheel rim occurs as well.

So.......... I made those suckers air tight to the point nothing gets in or out, and as long as you tape the tires using a criss-cross pattern, as I outlined earlier in my previous posts, one should have a fairly decent tire life even with just stock tires.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-24-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling.

That's not a good example...their tires where ripped to shreds and they probably used the maximun expanding foam with no vent holes.

There are different levels of that foam, the one for window installation is minimal expansion and won't build up much pressure when expanding. There also different levels of sponginess as well once cured.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Unlike your situation, water wasn't my problem causing the tire failures. The tire being squeezed between the rim and ground was my problem. When this occurred on my tire/rim setups, it led to tire failure from within. Although water does cause tire failure from within, the tire being sandwiched between the ground and wheel rims edge in my case ultimately led to premature tire failure as well.

In the beginning, I didn't understand why I was having tire failures at the sidewalls (since I didn't run in water) until I filmed one of my outings in super slow motion and could actually see the wheel rims were the cause because of the flattening out motion of the tire through over ventilation when it hit bumps or landing from jumps.

When the tire collapses like that (from over ventilation) it stresses the sidewalls significantly just from flattening out and actual contact made by the wheel rim occurs as well.

So.......... I made those suckers air tight to the point nothing gets in or out, and as long as you tape the tires using a criss-cross pattern, as I outlined earlier in my previous posts, one should have a fairly decent tire life even with just stock tires.
    Awesome explanation and I'm definitely going to try this on my next set. If it wasn't for guy's like you and ReglarGuy and the many others who post your success's on stuff like this it would be costly for many of us to figure this out on our own so thanks.

RC Qualifier
    That's not a good example...their tires where ripped to shreds and they probably used the maximun expanding foam with no vent holes.

There are different levels of that foam, the one for window installation is minimal expansion and won't build up much pressure when expanding. There also different levels of sponginess as well once cured.
    Lol your right really bad example and yes I've done alot of construction so I know about the different levels of expanding foam. I do know that once it is compressed or sqished it doesn't rebound back and could potentionaly cause an issue to the tire now being out of balance. To actually try this on a new set or decent set of tires would be a nightmare to clean if it didn't work, that was more or less the reason I posted that because with my luck that's how mine would look when done lol.

If it wasn't for guy's like you and ReglarGuy and the many others who post your success's on stuff like this it would be costly for many of us to figure this out on our own so thanks.
    Aw heck, 38 years at this, and I'm still trying to figure things out with RC's. But Thanks though! See, the thing is, when RC's use to have a tether cord behind them when I first started out with Radio Control (technically that would be Remote Tethered Control) vehicles, they had no where near the capabilities of ripping tires from the rims.

With the advances that were made in propulsion for these things, actual power that can be translated to HP (Horse Power), things I knew about how to fix them changed over the years and trying to figure out how to keep the tires on them was a challenge right up until now.

I saw Proline has a belted series MX tire for the 1/8th~1/10th scale vehicles, but at $35 dollars a corner, I'll wait for the solid reviews. It has a herring bone weave pattern belt molded into the tires to prevent ballooning; but as I have aforementioned, the problem with sidewall failures of tires, isn't the ballooning of the tire, it is the fact of over ventilation of the tires, or any ventilation at all for that matter.

It is hard for certain people to grasp the concept that tire failures occur more commonly from the inside of the tire because of ventilation, thus the reason a great number of RC racers were taping their tires years and years before Proline ever had the concept to conceive a belted tire. Now, if you asked any of those RC racers if they punched holes in their tires after taping them, they would give you a real funny look and there obviously must be a reason you would want to keep dirt out of the tire because of the tape inside.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-24-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Thanks!

Lol your right really bad example and yes I've done alot of construction so I know about the different levels of expanding foam. I do know that once it is compressed or sqished it doesn't rebound back and could potentionaly cause an issue to the tire now being out of balance. To actually try this on a new set or decent set of tires would be a nightmare to clean if it didn't work, that was more or less the reason I posted that because with my luck that's how mine would look when done lol.
    FWIW, I'm not even considering the construction stuff. I'm looking at the many foams that Smooth-On has...they squish and rebound to different degrees.

Could I possibly see some photos of the sealing the tyre method please!?

If there was a spray foam that didn't break down when compression was applied, if you were to put 8 evenly spaced holes around the perimeter of the center tread line of the tire (so that the tire could fill up evenly, and so that the excess foam had enough places to escape), and then coated your entire tire and rim with grease before you shot the foam (so that the excess foam wouldn't stick on anything outside of the tire); that just might work...just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-25-2019 at 04:51 AM.

If there was a spray foam that didn't break down when compression was applied, if you were to put 8 evenly spaced holes around the perimeter of the center tread line of the tire (so that the tire could fill up evenly, and so that the excess foam had enough places to escape), and then coated your entire tire and rim with grease before you shot the foam (so that the excess foam wouldn't stick on anything outside of the tire); that just might work...just thinking out loud.
    Here you go...

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/flexfoam-it/

I wonder how much that stuff is. That stuff might come in handy with some of my future projects and experiments.

RC Qualifier
    Koodo's that's some pretty cool stuff, like ReglarGuy said I can see some future projects in the works with this product.

I wonder how much that stuff is. That stuff might come in handy with some of my future projects and experiments.
    Most of the sample packs are around $30-45 depending on material.
    I just got some foam-it 5 (rigid) and Flex Foam -it 15 (stiff but squishable). The packs were $27 and $31 respectively.

Actually, I have quite a selection of their products. I used Smooth-on exclusively for all my molding, casting and general fabricting projects. It's a one stop shop for everything and they are very helpful with compatability since they make it all themselves.

Another indespensible product is Apoxie Sculpt...It's a two part epoxy that starts out like silly putty then firms up in a about 2 hours, cures in 24. Once you are used to it's properties you can use it for many many things...I almost never use JB weld anymore.

Apoxie-Sculpt has very little shrinkage and is VERY durable, cures underwater and pretty high temp rating. Once cured it can be added to, drilled, milled, polished and painted.

I actually stuck a gob of it on a truck radiator WHILE it was spewing water! It stuck, stopped the leak and stayed good for years.

RC Qualifier
    Wow that stuff sounds pretty good
    What model do you think would work for making up some foam tires using the stock rims to try and make a more affordable set of foam tires

Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Wow that stuff sounds pretty good
    What model do you think would work for making up some foam tires using the stock rims to try and make a more affordable set of foam tires

What MODEL or which foam?

I would imagine any model...as for foams, I don't know.

You can always contact Reynolds Adavnced Materials online or in your area. RAM (Reynolds Adavnced Materials) is an official distributor/retailer of Smooth-On products. RAM can send you some cured samples of the different foams for comparison.

I'd check out their showroom in WA.

https://www.reynoldsam.com/seattle/

The showroom in Denver is like a candy store!

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post

Give me some time because I have to pull a tire anyway because I got a soft spot in the tire and have to see what happened.

I'll probably have to end up doubling the foam insert until I buy the Proline sealed foam inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
    I found out why I had a soft spot in the tire:

The red filled green arrow points to the shard of glass that left a convenient little slice in my tire thanks to some litter bug throwing a glass bottle in my ditch that broke on a rock.

On to the pictures of sealing the tire. I used short flat head screws to seal my rim holes.

First you want to turn your tire inside out and tape it:

Then turn it back right-side-in and yes I put the stock foam back in:

Then you want to brush the RTV silicone sealant (clear kind) in the bead grooves-- and yes I cleaned my beads first:

Then I just put my bead-lock rings back on and let the silicone cure for twelve hours:

The reason I didn't see the slit in the tire, is because it was on the back-side of the tire as you can see with the green filled red arrow above.

The silicone works good as a sealant and the tire can still be removed easily later by just peeling it from the bead if you can reuse the tire - which I did because I just Black Panther 85'ed the slit closed.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-25-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added information.