RC poster

What shocks are these?

The title pretty much says it all. I traded for this Rustler 4x4 and I'm not sure what shocks the previous owner put on it and now I've been one of the shafts. If I'm not able to straighten it, I'm hoping I'll be able to get a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure, but they look kinda like these by HobbyPark:

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Alu.../dp/B07M7KTVFJ
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Those definitely look to be what I have. Unfortunately, I found out that 3 of the 4 shock shafts are bent. I've gotten them mostly back into shape, but I'm going to be looking for some backup shocks in case these die completely.

Quote Originally Posted by beardking View Post
    Those definitely look to be what I have. Unfortunately, I found out that 3 of the 4 shock shafts are bent. I've gotten them mostly back into shape, but I'm going to be looking for some backup shocks in case these die completely.
    First, unless you have the right equipment, don't bother trying to straighten the shock shafts...you could actually end up making them worse. Second, while having "backup shocks" is a good idea, why don't you just order replacement shock shafts? It's much cheaper, and they're easy to replace. Besides, as you might have already discovered, you might want a higher/lower weight oil in the shocks, so replacing the shafts wouldn't add much work, or time.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    First, unless you have the right equipment, don't bother trying to straighten the shock shafts...you could actually end up making them worse. Second, while having "backup shocks" is a good idea, why don't you just order replacement shock shafts? It's much cheaper, and they're easy to replace. Besides, as you might have already discovered, you might want a higher/lower weight oil in the shocks, so replacing the shafts wouldn't add much work, or time.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I thought about just buying shock shafts, but I assumed they aren't universal, and I couldn't find replacements for these shocks. If I'm wrong about that, then that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by beardking View Post
    I thought about just buying shock shafts, but I assumed they aren't universal, and I couldn't find replacements for these shocks. If I'm wrong about that, then that would be great.
    In some ways, shock shafts are 'universal'. For (most?) "big bore" shocks, the diameter of the shafts should be the same, work the only real difference being the lengths. Using calipers, measure the diameter of the shafts, plus mature the length of the front, as well as the rear, shafts. Then, all you should need to do is find shafts with the same measurements. It doesn't matter if they're from Traxxas, Losi, Associated, etc.

As a "bonus", if you think the current shafts are too long, and you want to lower the ride height, you could get sightly shortly shorter shafts...and, if you think the shafts are too short, and you want to raise the ride height, you could get sightly longer shafts.

~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

You also have to consider how the piston attaches to the shaft, so your going to want to take the shocks you have apart to measure and check how the piston attaches as well as you may need to buy nuts/washers/c-clips to accommodate the new shafts you end up with.

I've had good luck with traxxas' GTR line of shocks that are hard anno'd with TiNi shafts. I run them on all 3 of my revos, my stampede and my jato.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    In some ways, shock shafts are 'universal'. For (most?) "big bore" shocks, the diameter of the shafts should be the same, work the only real difference being the lengths. Using calipers, measure the diameter of the shafts, plus mature the length of the front, as well as the rear, shafts. Then, all you should need to do is find shafts with the same measurements. It doesn't matter if they're from Traxxas, Losi, Associated, etc.

As a "bonus", if you think the current shafts are too long, and you want to lower the ride height, you could get sightly shortly shorter shafts...and, if you think the shafts are too short, and you want to raise the ride height, you could get sightly longer shafts.

Thanks for that. I'll have to take a look at my shocks and see if I can find shafts that will work.