RC Competitor

External Power Source

Hello forums I had a question, I have a couple fans and a light bar on my Sl4sh and I wanted to know how I could power them separately from the Rx.

They already killed a battery and i'd rather not have that happen again

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Onyx
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-25-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

First off, I don't see any way possible for the fans to be causing this...so, if anything is "at fault", it's either the lighting, or the ESC. Second, you're not supposed to be powering the lights from the ESC. You're supposed to plug them into the Rx. Try connecting them to the Rx, and see how that goes.

If you're running multiple fans, the ESC fan should be plugged into the fan port on the ESC, while the motor fan needs to be plugged into the Rx a on either Ch. 3, or Ch. 4 (with the LED lightbar plugged into the other channel). If the LEDs are still excessively draining your battery, then it's possible your ESC is under-powered for what you're doing.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfOnyx View Post
    Hello forums I had a question, I have a couple fans and a light bar on my Sl4sh and I wanted to know how I could power them separately from the ESC

They already killed a battery and i'd rather not have that happen again

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Onyx
    Just a reply for clarity as @Panther6834 made me realize that I left out some details

1. Yes I am powering the fans/light bar from the Rx I worded that wrong my bad (asked a mod to edit that to stop further confusion)

2. The reason the battery died is the sl4sh hit lvc quite a ways away from me. So from the time it ran over, got it, ran back and sat down to unplug it the fans and light drained the last remaining energy left in the battery (making it totally my fault and nothing to do with the esc)

So I would like to power the light bar and fans on a separate battery maybe a small nimh and have no idea how to go about it

There that should be everything

Thanks in advance

Onyx
    Last edited by GhostOfOnyx; 08-24-2019 at 03:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I just added this to a seperate thread a few days ago about his lightbar flickering, you could try this and it's easy to install with a servo plug that's what I used. If you set up the Traxxas link and set your lvc at 3.6 v per cell like I do you won't have that problem of it dying away from you. I set mine up like that for my boats because I don't swim so well lol.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...OOTH-RADIO-SET

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    don't let your battery get that low

adding another power source is just going to make your truck weigh more, handle like crap, and make the battery die out faster

First, I still suggest/recommend keeping the ESC fan plugged into the fan port on the ESC, and powering the motor fan via Ch. 3 or 4 in the Rx. However, as for the lightbar, an idea popped into my head.

Many Tx batteries, such as AMain's ProTek LiFe batteries, use the same "female" 3-wire connector that servos, ESCs, etc use, which are also the same connectors that your fans & lightbar are using. You could take 2 "male" connectors, solder them up wire, plugging the LiFe battery into one end, and the lightbar into the other. Regarding the length of the wiring, that you'll need to determine. Also, you'll need to figure out where to 'attach' the LiFe battery (where the onboard audio would go would be a great location).

As LiFe batteries don't have the same "minimum voltage" problem that LiPo batteries have, you wouldn't need to worry (as much) about the voltage getting too low...when the LEDs get dim, or go off completely, you know it's time to recharge the LiFe battery. There you are...problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A fan and a led lightbar are not pulling so much power that you are frying batteries.

Negligence of runn8ng it far too low is the issue.

RC Competitor
    @Panther6834 Perfect Just what I needed thanks for the help

1. Also why doesn't anyone read the second post from me, I understand that the light bar and fans can't kill my battery by themselves I just worded my post wrong.

2.Also yes I have everything wired right once again poor writing on my part I just wanted some tips, not to be told how not wrong I am

Just to clarify my esc fan is connected to the esc, My other fan is connected to the RX, nothing is wrong with my esc. Me allowing my rig to die so far away from me caused the battery to go flat. Not the extras.

I think that's about it

I'd still love some suggestions tho

Onyx
    Last edited by GhostOfOnyx; 08-25-2019 at 06:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I just added this to a seperate thread a few days ago about his lightbar flickering, you could try this and it's easy to install with a servo plug that's what I used. If you set up the Traxxas link and set your lvc at 3.6 v per cell like I do you won't have that problem of it dying away from you. I set mine up like that for my boats because I don't swim so well lol.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...OOTH-RADIO-SET
    I gave you a sugestion for using a seperate battery and it'll solve your issues.

RC Racer
    In my opinion, if your batteries are going completely dead in the time it takes you to walk to the truck after it hits lvc, either your batteries are damaged, or the lvc is set waaay too low. That truck should be able to sit idle for hours after hitting lvc and still not be flat dead. Something doesn’t seem right here to me.